Made of Bricks
|Made of Bricks|
|Studio album by Kate Nash|
|Released||6 August 2007|
Universal Music (International)
|Producer||Paul Epworth, Kate Nash|
|Kate Nash chronology|
|Singles from Made of Bricks|
Made of Bricks is the debut album by English indie pop singer-songwriter Kate Nash, released in the United Kingdom on 6 August 2007. The album was a commercial success, topping the UK Albums Chart and spawning a number-two single in the form of "Foundations". The album was later released in Europe on 10 September 2007 and in the United States on 18 September.
The album was released five weeks earlier than originally planned due to the popularity of the single "Foundations". The album does not contain the track "Caroline's a Victim", which was released as a limited 7" single, double A-Side with "Birds" on Moshi Moshi Records before "Foundations". "Birds" was included as the fifth track of the album.
A version that included a "making of" DVD was available at Best Buy on the album's release in the United States. In the US, Made of Bricks debuted at number 36 on the Billboard 200 with sales of 16,000.
The album was also released in a pink vinyl edition with limited 507 copies available, which also included an exclusive poster.
Initial critical response to Made of Bricks was positive. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album has received an average score of 71, based on 23 reviews.
|2.||"Foundations"||Nash, Paul Epworth||4:05|
|6.||"We Get On"||Nash||4:34|
|9.||"Pumpkin Soup"||Nash, Epworth||2:59|
|10.||"Skeleton Song"||Nash, Alejandro Tovar||5:07|
|11.||"Nicest Thing"||Nash, Jay Malhotra||4:05|
|12.||"Merry Happy" (some versions include hidden track Little Red from 6:08; U.S. and U.K. versions don’t)||Nash, Anuj Khanna||5:27/13:10|
|Digital download edition|
|13.||"A Is for Asthma"||Nash||2:37|
|Japanese CD bonus tracks|
|13.||"Little Red" (Japan Bonus Track)||Nash||6:56|
|14.||"Stitching Leggings" (Japan Bonus Track)||Nash||2:16|
|15.||"Navy Taxi" (Japan Bonus Track)||Nash||5:35|
|16.||"Habanera" (Japan Bonus Track)||Nash||2:24|
- Kate Nash – vocals, piano, keyboards, acoustic guitar, bass, synthesizers, production on track 1
- Jay Malhotra – electric guitar on tracks 3, 5, 10, 11 and 12, bass on tracks 3, 6, 10 and 12, acoustic guitar on track 1, percussion on track 7
- Elliott Andrews – drums on tracks 3, 6, 8, 10 and 12
- Mei-ling Wong – violin on tracks 10 and 11
- Fiona Brice – strings, brass and woodwind arrangements on tracks 4 and 12
- Leo Taylor – drums on "Pumpkin Soup"
- Kate's debut single, "Foundations", is her most successful single to date. It charted at number #2 in the UK Singles Chart, missing the number one spot to Rihanna's "Umbrella" by less than 200 copies. The song also charted most notably in Canada, Ireland, Germany and Austria.
- The second single, "Mouthwash" was performed at T4 on the Beach shortly before its release. The single entered the UK Singles Chart at #54 and two weeks later reached its peak position of #23. It received mixed reviews and did not chart elsewhere.
- The third single release, "Pumpkin Soup", released in October 2007, reached its UK peak position of #23 in January 2008. The song also charted in Austria and Germany. It managed to achieve a number #40 spot in Ireland.
- The fourth and final single released was "Merry Happy". The single was predicted to chart well after it was playlisted on BBC Radio 1, however Kate did not release a video for the song. Although it underperformed in the UK, the song did manage to chart in the Top 100 in Canada and was her first hit in the US.
Sales and certifications
One Chance by Paul Potts
|UK Albums Chart number-one album
12 August 2007
Elvis The King
- "Chart Stats - Kate Nash". Chart Stats. Archived from the original on July 22, 2012. Retrieved July 24, 2009.
- Katie Hasty, "Keys Holds Off Radiohead, 'Juno' At No. 1", Billboard.com, January 16, 2008.
- "Kate Nash:Made of Bricks (2008): Reviews". Metacritic. CNET Networks, Inc. Retrieved 2009-03-24.
- "japanese CD bonus tracks on Amazon Japan" (in Japanese & English). amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 1-2-14.
- "japanese CD bonus tracks on CD japan" (in English). cdjapan.co.jp. Retrieved 1-2-14.
- "ARIA Top 100 Albums - Week Commencing 25th February 2008". ARIA Charts. Retrieved 15 January 2010.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Kate Nash; 'Made of Bricks')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.