Madea's Family Reunion
|Madea's Family Reunion|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Tyler Perry|
|Produced by||Tyler Perry
|Written by||Tyler Perry|
Lisa Arrindell Anderson
|Music by||Tyler Perry|
|Edited by||John Carter|
Tyler Perry Studios
Reuben Cannon Productions
|Release dates||February 24, 2006|
|Running time||107 minutes|
Madea's Family Reunion is a 2006 comedy-drama film adaptation of the stage production of the same name written by Tyler Perry and sequel to Diary of a Mad Black Woman. It was written and directed by Perry, who also played several characters, including Madea. It was released on February 24, 2006, nearly one year following its predecessor, Diary of a Mad Black Woman. The independent film was produced by Lionsgate.
|This section requires expansion. (July 2013)|
While planning her family reunion, the pistol-packing grandma, Madea (Tyler Perry), must contend with the other dramas on her plate, including the runaway who has been placed under her care and her troubled nieces, half-sisters Lisa and Vanessa. Her niece Lisa is engaged and has an abusive fiancé and informs her mother but is ignored due to her mother's greed. Vanessa is trying to find love while struggling to forgive her mother for allowing her stepfather to rape her numerous times in her younger teen years. Madea is on to help fix their problems and help them realize who they are.
- Tyler Perry as Brian Simmons
- Tyler Perry as Joe Simmons
- Tyler Perry as Mabel Simmons (Madea)
- Blair Underwood as Carlos
- Keke Palmer as Nikki Grady
- Lynn Whitfield as Victoria Breaux
- Lisa Arrindell Anderson as Vanessa Breaux
- Rochelle Aytes as Lisa Breaux
- Boris Kodjoe as Frankie Henderson
- Henry Simmons as Isaac
- Maya Angelou as Aunt May
- Jenifer Lewis as Milay Jenay Lori
- Tangi Miller as Donna
- Cicely Tyson as Myrtle
- Duante Adams as Wedding singer
- Cassi Davis as Aunt Sarah
- Georgia Allen as Aunt Ruby
- Nicholas Ortiz as Himself
- Judge Mablean Ephriam (cameo) as Herself
The soundtrack was released by Motown Records on February 21, 2006.
- "Find Myself in You" - Brian McKnight - 4:14
- "We're Gonna Make It" - LL Cool J and Mary Mary - 4:54
- "Keep Your Head Up" - Chaka Khan - 4:34
- "Tonight" - Kem - 3:55
- "Everyday (Family Reunion)" - Chaka Khan, Carl Thomas, Yolanda Adams, and Gerald Levert - 4:48
- "Love and Happiness" - Al Green - 5:02
- "You For Me (Wedding Song)" - Johnny Gill 5:37
- "Family Reunion" - The O'Jays - 6:55
- "I'll Be" - Will Downing - 4:10
- "Wounds in the Way" - Rachelle Ferrell - 4:21
Release and reception
Madea's Family Reunion was budgeted at $6 million and opened at #1 in its opening weekend (2/24-26) with $30,030,661 and eventually grossed $63,257,940 in North America with an additional $50,939 internationally, tying $63,308,879 worldwide after 9 weeks in theaters.
Small independent filmmaker Tyler Perry has garnered one of the highest wide-release openings to date in 2006, in both gross ($30 million) and screen average ($13,687).
"The number one movie is Madea's Family Reunion, a small comedy/melodrama which grossed an astounding $30.3 million from 2,194 venues. It had a super-hot venue average of $13,787...."
"Playing at 2,194 locations across North America, the film averaged a remarkable estimated $13,788 per screen, demonstrating the enormous breadth and depth of Perry's audience. The debut weekend of Madea's Family Reunion outperformed the opening weekend of Lionsgate's first Tyler Perry film, Diary of a Mad Black Woman, by nearly 40 percent."
The reasoning for the film's relative success, according to Steve Rothenberg, Lions Gate president of domestic distribution, is due to its targeted market appeal, "I believe that we're in all the right theaters...I'm not sure there's much room for expansion." To illustrate the point, Lions Gate's exit polls showed 52 percent of the audience were black women over the age of 35.
- http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060226/nysu016.html?.v=39[dead link]
- Madea's Family Reunion at the Internet Movie Database
- Madea's Family Reunion at Box Office Mojo
- Madea's Family Reunion at Rotten Tomatoes
- Madea's Family Reunion at Metacritic