|Member of Parliament
5 May 2005
|Preceded by||Win Griffiths|
27 March 1950 |
Sunderland, County Durham, England
|Alma mater||Keele University|
Born in North East England, Moon attended Whinney Hill Secondary Modern Girls' School (now part of Durham Johnston Comprehensive School) then Durham Girls' Grammar School (became the sixth form of Durham Gilesgate Sports College and Sixth Form Centre). She went to Madeley College of Education (became a housing estate in 1983 after becoming part of North Staffordshire Polytechnic), gaining a Cert Ed in 1971, then Keele University, gaining a BEd in 1972. From University College, Cardiff she gained a CQSW and Diploma in Social Work (DipSW) in 1980.
She worked in social services for Mid-Glamorgan County Council from 1980-96 then for Swansea Council from 1996-2002.
She launched Crossroads (a charity that supports carers) in Porthcawl. She represented Bridgend Council on the Sports Council for Wales, on Tourism South and West Wales and was National Chair of the British Resorts Association from 1999 to 2001.
Moon has lived and worked around Bridgend for over 29 years, is former mayor of Porthcawl and has been a councillor for Porthcawl for 13 years. She was elected MP for the Bridgend constituency in 2005.
In 2007 and 2008, Moon received a higher public profile due to an increased number of suicides of young people from her constituency. She has agreed with South Wales Police that the suicides are not connected but has been critical of media coverage.
Madeleine Moon has written and spoken extensively on prison reform and policing.
The Daily Telegraph, which extensively covered MP's expenses during the United Kingdom parliamentary expenses scandal, reported that Moon had claimed for furniture items bought near her primary residence in Wales; claims are allowed for her second home in London but not for her primary residence in Wales. She claims that the furniture, though bought in Wales, was indeed for her second home in London.
- Waller, Robert; Criddle, Byron. The Almanac of British Politics. Google Books. Retrieved 2009-02-12.
- Sweney, Mark (7 February 2008). "MP attacks Bridgend coverage". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-08-07.
- Prince, Rosa (18 May 2009). "Madeleine Moon shopped in Wales 'for London flat': MPs expenses". The Telegraph. Retrieved 31 October 2011.
- Madeleine Moon MP official constituency website
- Madeleine Moon MP Welsh Labour Party profile
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Current session contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
- News articles
- Audio clips
- Video clips
- Furniture industry in January 2008
- UK Column showing Madeleine Moon's reply to Bridgend suicide inquiry March 2013
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Bridgend