|Birth name||Hugo Pierre Leclercq|
|Born||30 May 1994|
|Novation Launchpad and keyboard
Image-Line FL Studio
Hugo Pierre Leclercq (born 30 May 1994), known by his stage name Madeon, is a producer from France. He gained popularity by means of his video "Pop Culture", which was published to YouTube and subsequently received millions of hits in its first few days of broadcast on the Internet. His first EP The City was released in 2012, his debut album Adventure will be released in 2015.
Leclercq started composing music at the age of 11, producing hands-up under the name of "Deamon" until 2010 when he began producing house music under his current name, Madeon, which is an anagram of his previous nickname. He won a remix competition for "The Island" by Pendulum the same year.
He went on to remix other electronic artists' tracks the following year. A clip of him performing his mash-up "Pop Culture", uploaded to YouTube on 7 July 2011, propelled him to international fame. It featured samples from thirty-nine songs mixed together on-the-fly using a Novation Launchpad. The clip quickly went viral and reached over six million views in just a few days.
During live performances, apart from the Launchpads, he also uses Novation's Zero SL MKII, FL Studio, and Ableton Live. His first live performance was in Paris in April, 2011 where he was a support act to Yelle, and his UK debut was at The Nest in Dalston, London where he performed alongside the likes of Jacques Lu Cont.
Leclercq has been featured several times on 15 Minutes of Fame, a segment of Pete Tong's radio show on BBC Radio 1, with both his debut single "Icarus" and his remix for Deadmau5's "Raise Your Weapon" given their first full play on the show. His live recorded performance debut was for Pete Tong's BBC Radio 1 gala event in Hull on 27 January 2012, where he played a 20 minute-long set.
A debut EP was scheduled to be released at the end of 2011, but then cancelled in favour of multiple singles. The first single, "Icarus", was released on 24 February 2012 on his independent label popculture.
As a sign of his rapid rise to international fame, in 2012, he was invited to play four major American festivals, the Ultra Music Festival in Miami, Coachella in California, Lollapalooza in Chicago, and Electric Daisy Carnival in New York, as well as several UK dance music festivals, including the Dance Arena at Radio 1's Hackney Weekend 2012; he also provided support for Swedish House Mafia's headlining set at the Milton Keynes Bowl.  Leclercq was listed at number 54 on DJ Mag's Top 100 DJs list in 2012.
Many of his songs have been used in media franchises: "Icarus" was featured in the US show Dancing With The Stars in May 2012 and 21 May 2013 (finals with Aly Raisman) and on the in-game soundtrack of Forza Horizon; "Finale" and "Imperium" have been featured in EA Sports' FIFA 13 and FIFA 15 respectively. Finale has also been included in the opening cinematic of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale; "The City" appears in Need for Speed: Most Wanted and "Technicolor (Club Extended)" in Need for Speed: Rivals. "Finale" and Leclercq's remix of "The Night Out" by Martin Solveig were featured on the official soundtrack of ESPN's 2013 Winter X Games event in Tignes, France and both received several plays on air. "Finale" continues to be used as the bumper music for X Games broadcasts.
He toured with Lady Gaga as an opening act during her Born This Way Ball. Leclercq has cited The Beatles and Daft Punk as his greatest musical influences. Madeon released a new single on 3 August 2013 titled "Technicolor." Madeon worked with Lady Gaga on three tracks, "Gypsy", "Mary Jane Holland", and "Venus" on her 2013 album ARTPOP.
On 25 February 2014, Leclercq released a track available for a free download on his website called "Cut The Kid", claiming that it was created circa 2011 or 2012.
Adventure (2015 Album)
In September 2014, a new song by Leclercq called "Imperium" was released unofficially as the part of the soundtrack for the latest edition of the popular football video game franchise, FIFA 15. On the 18th of October, it was officially released as a free download through an interactive feature on his website, similarly to the release of Cut The Kid. Imperium is the lead single from Leclercq's debut album Adventure.
On the 8th December 2014, Leclercq released the second single from Adventure titled You're On, featuring singer Kyan. Unlike the two previous releases, You're On was not released for free, but rather, sold online through iTunes.
The same day, Leclercq announced via twitter  that his debut Album would be release in 2015, and be called Adventure, featuring the singles Imperium, and You're On. More information regarding Adventure was released on the 20th of January, 2015 in a Facebook post. The album comes in standard, and deluxe versions with the standard version has 12 tracks featuring Kyan, Dan Smith (British singer), Passion Pit, Mark Foster (musician), Aquilo (band), and the deluxe features previously released singles Icarus, Finale, The City, Cut the Kid, Technicolor, as well as a bonus track featuring Vancouver Sleep Clinic. The album will be released on the 27th of March, 2015.
Through the email notification system for his website, Leclercq sends out email notifications to users about his upcoming releases. The following was sent out regarding the release and preorder of Adventure:
"Adventure" is coming out March 27th ! You can pre-order it right now.
Making this album was an insane experience, I can't wait for you all to hear it. I collaborated with amazing artists (Passion Pit, Dan from Bastille, Mark from Foster The People, Aquilo, Vancouver Sleep Clinic, Kyan...), and also performed some songs myself.
There's a Standard version, featuring Imperium and You're On (everything else is all new music) and a Deluxe version with all of my past singles (plus a bonus track).
My intention with the album was to capture my teenage years. I wanted it to start happy and colorful and end in a more contemplative place. (In my head it's visualized by escaping a city to reach the desert). I tried to capture that a little bit when making the album art!
- Adventure (2015)
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2010||"For You"||—||—||—||—||—||—||Japan Only EP|
|2012||"Icarus"||—||74||—||22||23||—||The City - EP|
|2014||"Cut The Kid"||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"You're On" (ft. Kyan)||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010||"Smile Like You Mean It"||The Killers|
|"Friday Night"||David Latour|
|2011||"Que Veux Tu"||Yelle|
|"Raise Your Weapon"||Deadmau5|
|2012||"The Night Out"||Martin Solveig|
|2010||"Wolfgang Gartner Anthology"|
|2012||"Radio 1 Minimix"|
|2013||"Triple J Mix"|
|2011||"Tokyo Cries (Discothèque Remix)"||Glenn Morrison||Non-album track|
|2012||"Sunshine"||Picture Book||At Last EP|
|"Stay Awake"||Ellie Goulding||Halcyon Days |
|2013||"Panic Station (Alternate Version Mixed by Madeon)"||Muse
(Mistaken as a remix)
|The 2nd Law|
|"Mary Jane Holland"
|"Changing of the Seasons"||Two Door Cinema Club||Changing of the Seasons EP|
|2014||"Always in My Head"
|"Mary Jane Holland"|
|"Shuriken" (VIP Mix)||Madeon|
|"The City" (VIP Mix)|
|"Raise Your Weapon" (Madeon VIP Mix)||Deadmau5|
|"Song 2" (Madeon Remix)||Blur|
|"Technicolor" (VIP Mix)||Madeon|
- "Ultra Music Festival - Fri., March 23, 2012". The Miami Herald. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- Doyez, François-Luc (5 November 2011). "Madeon, l'électro kid". Libération Next (in French). Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- "'The Island' Remix Competition Winners!". Pendulum.com. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- "Madeon Bio, Music, News & Shows". DJZ.com. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- "Madeon performs London debut with Launchpads". Novation. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- "Madeon - BBC Radio 1 & 1Xtra Live in Hull". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- "Any news when your EP is out?". Twitter. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- "Coachella - set times". Coachella.com. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- "Milton Keynes Bowl : Line-up Announcement Part 1". Swedishhousemafia.com. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- "Top 100 DJs / 54. Madeon". DJ Mag. Retrieved 3 Feb 2013.
- "Scene - X Games". Retrieved 23 Mar 2013.
- Madeon: 'I've Been Jamming With Lady Gaga' | MTV UK
- Madeon - Technicolor (Original) by Madeon on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds
- "iTunes - Music - You're On (Feat. Kyan)". Retrieved 20 Jan 2015.
- . 8th Dec 2014 = Twitter https://twitter.com/madeon/status/541978707196661760 = Twitter. Retrieved 19 Jan 2015. Check date values in:
|date=(help); Missing or empty
- "Madeon - Facebook". Retrieved 20 Jan 2015.
- "Pre-order Adventure". Retrieved 26 Jan 2015.
- インフォメーション | Sony Music
- "Madeon - French Charts". lescharts.com/ Hung Medien.
- "Madeon - Belgium (Flanders) Charts". ultratop.be/nl/ Hung Medien.
- "Madeon - Belgium (Wallonia) Charts". ultratop.be/fr/ Hung Medien.
- "ChartArchive - Madeon". Chartstats.com. Archived from the original on 23 July 2012. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- Peak positions for Singles in Scotland:
- For "Icarus": "Chart Archive > Scottish Singles > March 10, 2012". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- For "Finale": "Chart Archive > Scottish Singles > August 4, 2012". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- Chart Highlights: Carly Rae Jepsen Plants 'Kiss' On Pop Songs | Billboard
- "Glenn Morrison - Tokyo Cries feat. Christian Burns (Glenn's Discoteque Remix)". Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "Sunshine (Extended Mix)". Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- "Ellie Goulding: 'Stay Awake' (Prod. Madeon)". Prefixmag.com. Retrieved 2013-03-13.
- Twitter / madeon: Hey! To clarify : I see the
- Lady Gaga : découvrez l'interview évènement! - Fun Radio