Madison Area Technical College
|Madison Area Technical College|
|Motto||Real world smart.|
|President||Bettsey L. Barhorst.|
|Location||Madison, Wisconsin, United States|
MATC (de jure)
|Colors||Blue & White|
Madison Area Technical College (Madison College) (Informally MATC) is a technical and community college headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin. It serves parts of 12 counties in south-central Wisconsin: Adams, Columbia, Dane, Dodge, Green, Iowa, Jefferson, Juneau, Marquette, Richland, Rock, and Sauk. It is among the largest of the 16 schools in the Wisconsin Technical College System, serving about 40,000 people per year. It consists of eight locations in Madison and four regional campuses in the cities of Reedsburg, Watertown, Fort Atkinson, and Portage.
The college was founded in 1912 to serve the local Madison community. It was located in the former Madison Central High School in downtown Madison; in the 1980s the campus was largely moved to an east-side location near the Dane County Regional Airport.
The school offers more than 140 associate degree and technical diploma programs, as well as trade apprenticeships and other certifications and adult continuing education programs. In the 2009–2010 school year, 23,994 students were enrolled in degree-credit programs and 19,294 students were enrolled in non-degree courses.
 Facilities master plan
Student enrollment and waiting lists are at all-time highs. On November, 2, 2010, 59.60 percent of voters supported the Madison College Smart Community Plan, a $133,770,000 plan for new facilities, renovations, and upgrades to meet the increasing demand for education and job training.
 Nickname change
In 2010, the college's nickname of MATC changed to Madison College because of many factors, such as to help end confusion with Milwaukee Area Technical College (also MATC). The official name of the school remains Madison Area Technical College.
 Notable people
 See also
- Madison Area Technical College Campus and Location Information http://madisoncollege.edu/campus-information
- Madison Area Technical College 2009-2010 Academic Year Headcount http://blog.madisoncollege.edu/smart-community-plan/madison-college-fact-book
- Madison Area Technical College Smart Community Plan http://blog.madisoncollege.edu/smart-community-plan/about-plan
- Madison Area Technical College Name and Logo Change http://madisoncollege.edu/frequently-asked-questions-name-and-logo#6
- Biographical Sketch
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 2009-2010,' Biographical Sketch of Steve Hilgenberg, pg. 53