Madison Township, Richland County, Ohio
|Madison Township, Richland County, Ohio|
Madison Township water tower near U.S. Route 30
Location of Madison Township (red) in Richland County, next to the city of Mansfield (yellow).
|• Total||15.7 sq mi (40.6 km2)|
|• Land||15.7 sq mi (40.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation ||1,211 ft (369 m)|
|• Density||935.4/sq mi (361.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086878|
Madison Township is one of the eighteen townships of Richland County, Ohio, United States. It is a part of the Mansfield Metropolitan Statistical Area. The 2000 census found 14,680 people in the township.
Madison Township is centered at 40°47'22" North, 82°28'36" West (40.789444, -82.476666).
Located in the center of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Franklin Township - north
- Weller Township - northeast
- Mifflin Township - east
- Monroe Township - southeast corner
- Washington Township - south
- Troy Township - southwest corner
- Springfield Township - west
- Jackson Township - northwest corner
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
Madison Local Schools enroll 3,218 students as of 2012-2013. The district operates 6 public schools including four elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. Also located in the school district is the Madison Adult Career Center (formerly Madison Adult Education). The adult education facility is located at Madison Comprehensive High School.
Law enforcement in Madison Township is the responsibility of the Richland County Sheriff's Office, and fire protection and ambulance services are provided by the Madison Township Fire Department.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Richland County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- greatschools. "Madison Local School District Profile". Retrieved 2013-12-06.
- Richland County Sheriff's Office
- Madison Township Fire Department
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Madison Township, Richland County, Ohio.|