Madison West High School
|Madison West High School|
|30 Ash Street
Madison, Wisconsin, 53726
|School district||Madison Metropolitan School District|
|Number of students||approx. 2,400 (2013-2014)|
|Color(s)||Maize and Blue|
|Athletics conference||Big 8 Conference|
|Mascot||Reggie the Regent (A lion)|
Madison West's advanced placement classes include French, Spanish, U.S. Government & Politics, U.S. History, European History, Statistics, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Computer Science A, Physics, Chemistry, Environmental Science, and Music Theory.
The Madison West Science Olympiad team was begun in 1985. The West team placed in the top 10 in the national tournament in 3 consecutive years from 1989 to 1991, placing 2nd in 1989.
The 2012 boys' cross country team won the D1 state championship, making it their sixth state title.
- Jim Bakken - Former NFL place kicker (St. Louis Cardinals); 4 time Pro Bowler and Professional Football Hall of Famer
- Tammy Baldwin - U.S. Representative (D-WI) (1999-2013) and US Senator (2013-present)
- Carol A. Buettner - Wisconsin State Senator
- Jeff Conrad - drummer for the band Phantom Planet
- Jim Doyle, 1963 - 44th Governor of Wisconsin (2003-2011)
- Reece Gaines - Orlando Magic (2003-2004), Houston Rockets (2004-2005), Milwaukee Bucks (2004-2006)
- Alexander R. Grant - Wisconsin State Assemblyman
- Beth Heiden - Olympian, Winter Olympic Games, and professional cyclist
- Eric Heiden - Olympic Five-Time Gold Medal Speed Skater at the 1980 Winter Olympic Games, and professional cyclist, 1986 Tour de France
- Phil Hellmuth - professional poker player
- Dan Immerfall - Olympic Speed Skater 1976, 1980
- Barbara Lorman - Wisconsin State Senator
- David Maraniss - Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and author
- Ward Moorehouse - anti-corporate activist, publisher
- Jay Mortenson - Olympic gold medalist in swimming at 1988 Summer Olympic Games in Seoul, Korea.
- Cyrus Nowrasteh - filmmaker
- Sarayu Rao - actress
- Britton Rice - musician, record producer
- David L. Rose - U.S. business executive
- Leo Sidran - musician
- Charles P. Smith - Wisconsin State Treasurer
- John Stamstad - ultra-endurance mountain bike racer and trail runner, member of the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame
- Scott Stantis - editorial cartoonist for The Chicago Tribune and creator of the comic strips The Buckets and Prickly City
- Tim Stracka - former NFL tight end, Cleveland Browns (1983-1984)
- Chris Tallman - actor
- Donnel Thompson - Pittsburgh Steelers (2000), Indianapolis Colts (2002)
- Stu Voigt - former NFL tight end, Minnesota Vikings (1970-1980)
- JD Walsh - actor
- Marc Webb - film director of (500) Days of Summer and The Amazing Spider-Man
- Bob Whitsitt - General Manager of the NBA Portland Trail Blazers and Seattle SuperSonics, NFL Seattle Seahawks. NBA Executive of the Year 1994.
- http://westweb.madison.k12.wi.us/ Infobox data validation. Archived 12 February 2011 at WebCite
- "West High School". Madison Metropolitan School District. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- Institution Summary, AdvancED, Retrieved 2012-07-08
- TARC 2009 Contest Standings
- Matthew Defour, "Madison West team will represent US in international rocket competition," Wisconsin State Journal, July 12, 2012. Retrieved October 19, 2012.
- "Science Olympiad national results".
- Semrau. "WIAA Cross Country".
- "Tammy Baldwin's personal website". Retrieved 2012-11-06.
- Borowski, Greg (October 8, 2006). "Doyle Profile, Part 1: Seeds for race planted early" (ASPX). Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved December 6, 2006.
- "Basketball-Reference.com entry for Reece Gaines". Retrieved 2006-12-06.
- Moe, Doug (2006-07-22). "A Poker Story, A Madison Story". The Capital Times, Madison.com. Retrieved 2006-12-07.
- "Midday show". 2011-03-30. Event occurs at 10:05am. WIXX.