Madison West High School
|Madison West High School|
|Madison, Wisconsin, USA|
|Oversight||Madison Metropolitan School District|
|Number of students||approx. 2,300 (2006-2007)|
|Color(s)||Maize and Blue|
|Mascot||Reggie the Regent (A lion)|
Madison West's advanced placement classes include French, Spanish, U.S. Government & Politics, U.S. History, European History, Statistics, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Computer Science A, Physics, Chemistry, Environmental Science, and Music Theory.
Model United Nations
West's Model United Nations began in 2011 with a strong showing in persuasive and peaceful diplomacy in various Midwestern competitions. A savvy student body of officers presides over 15 to 20 other delegates advised by teachers in the Social Studies Department.
Madison West Rocket Club was started in 2003. In 2009, it placed first in the Team America Rocketry Challenge (TARC) national finals. Madison West won the national championship again in 2012 when Team 13551 bested 99 other finalists, becoming the first high school to win the contest twice.[not in citation given]
The Madison West Science Olympiad team was begun in 1985. The West team placed in the top 10 in the national tournament in 3 consecutive years from 1989 to 1991, placing 2nd in 1989.
Since its inception in 2009, the Sheepshead Club has been a popular daily lunchtime attraction. The club is entirely student-run, with co-presidents elected yearly based on proficiency at the game of sheepshead and other factors such as seniority.
Sports Conversation Club
The Sports Conversation Club was begun in 2010. It meets every Tuesday to discuss contemporary sports topics. It is mediated by West High physical education teachers.
West Latin is an affiliate of the Wisconsin Junior Classical League, which itself is an affiliate of the National Junior Classical League. Its Certamen teams are often successful at the WJCL convention, most recently with its Latin 2 team winning the state championship in 2013.
DECA Marketing Club
The West DECA Chapter is a member of the Wisconsin Chapter of the Central Regions in DECA. Members participate in competition on the regional, state, and international level. Each year, West DECA sends students to the International Career Development Conference (ICDC) for competition.
The 2012 girls' cross-country team celebrated its fourth consecutive conference championship on October 15, 2012. It took first in all but the Midwest Invitational in Janesville, Wisconsin. The 2012 boys' cross country team won the D1 state championship, making it their sixth state title.
- Jim Bakken - Former NFL place kicker (St. Louis Cardinals); 4 time Pro Bowler and Professional Football Hall of Famer
- Tammy Baldwin - U.S. Representative (D-WI) (1999-2013) and US Senator (2013-present)
- Carol A. Buettner - Wisconsin State Senator
- Jeff Conrad - drummer for the band Phantom Planet
- Jim Doyle, 1963 - 44th Governor of Wisconsin (2003-2011)
- Reece Gaines - Orlando Magic (2003-2004), Houston Rockets (2004-2005), Milwaukee Bucks (2004-2006)
- Alexander R. Grant - Wisconsin State Assemblyman
- Beth Heiden - Olympian, Winter Olympic Games, and professional cyclist
- Eric Heiden - Olympic Five-Time Gold Medal Speed Skater at the 1980 Winter Olympic Games, and professional cyclist, 1986 Tour de France
- Phil Hellmuth - professional poker player
- Dan Immerfall - Olympic Speed Skater 1976, 1980
- Barbara Lorman - Wisconsin State Senator
- David Maraniss - Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and author
- Ward Moorehouse - anti-corporate activist, publisher
- Jay Mortenson - Olympic gold medalist in swimming at 1988 Summer Olympic Games in Seoul, Korea.
- Cyrus Nowrasteh - filmmaker
- Sarayu Rao - actress
- Britton Rice - musician, record producer
- David L. Rose - U.S. business executive
- Leo Sidran - musician
- Charles P. Smith - Wisconsin Superintendent of Public Instruction
- John Stamstad - ultra-endurance mountain bike racer and trail runner, member of the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame
- Scott Stantis - editorial cartoonist for The Chicago Tribune and creator of the comic strips The Buckets and Prickly City
- Tim Stracka - former NFL tight end, Cleveland Browns (1983-1984)
- Chris Tallman - actor
- Donnel Thompson - Pittsburgh Steelers (2000), Indianapolis Colts (2002)
- Stu Voigt - former NFL tight end, Minnesota Vikings (1970-1980)
- Marc Webb - film director of (500) Days of Summer and The Amazing Spider-Man
- Bob Whitsitt - General Manager of the NBA Portland Trail Blazers and Seattle SuperSonics, NFL Seattle Seahawks. NBA Executive of the Year 1994.
- http://westweb.madison.k12.wi.us/ Infobox data validation. Archived 12 February 2011 at WebCite
- "West High School - About Us". Madison Metropolitan School District. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- Institution Summary, AdvancED, Retrieved 2012-07-08
- TARC 2009 Contest Standings
- Matthew Defour, "Madison West team will represent US in international rocket competition," Wisconsin State Journal, July 12, 2012. Retrieved October 19, 2012.
- "Science Olympiad national results".
- West High School Clubs and Activities Page
- Conference Champs! (4th year in a row!)
- Semrau. "WIAA Cross Country".
- "Tammy Baldwin's personal website". Retrieved 2012-11-06.
- "Milwaukee Journal Sentinal Jim Doyle article including West attendance" (ASPX). Retrieved 2006-12-06.
- "Basketball-Reference.com entry for Reece Gaines". Retrieved 2006-12-06.
- Moe, Doug (2006-07-22). "A Poker Story, A Madison Story". The Capital Times, Madison.com. Retrieved 2006-12-07.
- "Midday show". 2011-03-30. Event occurs at 10:05am. WIXX.