August 13, 1882
Brooklyn, New York
|Died||August 2, 1929
Los Angeles, California
|Occupation||Stage, film actress|
Mae Costello (August 13, 1882 - August 2, 1929) was an American stage and film actress of the early twentieth-century.
Born Mae Altschuk in Brooklyn, New York, she was the daughter of Catherine (née Callender) and Lewis Altschuk, a Bavarian German immigrant. As a teenager, she began performing in stage productions in stock theater companies throughout the United States. In 1902 she married actor Maurice Costello. They had two daughters, Helene Costello and Dolores Costello, both of whom became successful film actresses. The couple separated in 1910 and divorced in 1927.
She appeared in motion pictures beginning in the early 1910s, billed as Mrs. Costello, opposite such actors as John Bunny, Flora Finch, Wallace Reid, Florence Turner, Antonio Moreno and Clara Kimball Young, as well as her husband and daughters.
In 1929, Mae Costello died of heart disease and was interred at the Calvary Cemetery, East Los Angeles, California, which is a Catholic cemetery. In 1928 her daughter Dolores married actor John Barrymore, a marriage that neither Mae nor her ex-husband approved of, as Barrymore was not only over twenty years older than Dolores, he was also six months older than Mae Costello. Her grandson includes actor John Drew Barrymore and her great-granddaughter is actress Drew Barrymore.
- The Money Mill - Mrs. King (1917)
- Her Right to Live - Mrs. Biggs (1917)
- When a Woman Loves - Mrs. King (1915)
- The Taming of Betty - Mrs. Cutler (1913)
- The Spirit of the Orient (1913)
- The One Good Turn (1913)
- The Mills of the Gods - The Nurse (1912)
- Diamond Cut Diamond - The Telephone Operator (1912)
- Her Crowning Glory - The Nurse (1911)
- Mae Costello at Find a Grave
- Stein Hoffman, Carol.The Barrymores: Hollywood's First Family. University Press of Kentucky, 2001. ISBN 0-8131-2213-9
- Mae Costello at Finad A Grave
|This article about an American theatre actor born in the 1880s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a United States film actor or actress born in the 1880s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|