|Directed by||S. S. Rajamouli|
|Produced by||Allu Aravind
B. V. S. N. Prasad
|Written by||M. Ratnam
|Story by||K. V. Vijayendra Prasad|
|Starring||Ram Charan Teja
|Music by||M. M. Keeravani|
|Cinematography||K. K. Senthil Kumar|
|Edited by||Kotagiri Venkateswara Rao|
|Distributed by||Geetha Arts|
|Running time||166 minutes|
|Budget||42 crore (US$6.8 million)|
|Box office||85 crore (US$14 million)(Share)|
Magadheera (English Translation: Great Warrior) is a 2009 Telugu historical drama- romance film directed by S S Rajamouli and produced by Allu Aravind. The film stars Ram Charan Teja and Kajal Aggarwal in the lead roles, while actors Srihari and Dev Gill play other prominent roles. The film features an original soundtrack by M. M. Keeravani, art direction by R. Ravindar, cinematography by K. K. Senthil Kumar and editing by Kotagiri Venkateswara Rao. The film was released to critical and commercial acclaim. The film was dubbed and released in Malayalam as Dheera— The Warrior and in Tamil as Maaveeran. Magadheera collected a worldwide share of 85 crore (US$14 million) making it one of the highest grossing Telugu movies of all time. The movie is remade in Bengali as Yoddha - The Warrior .Magadheera Collected 115 crore (US$19 million) in 175 Days and 88 crore (US$14 million) Share in its lifetime in 3 languages according to Geetha Arts.
- Ram Charan as Kala Bhairava/Harsha
- Kajal Aggarwal as Mithravinda Devi/Indira (Indu)
- Sunil as Harsha's friend
- Srihari as Sher Khan/Solomon
- Dev Gill as Senadhipathi Ranadev Billa/Raghu Veer
- Sarath Babu as Vikram Singh, king of Udaygarh
- Rao Ramesh as Ghora
- Rajiv Kanakala as solider
- Sameer as Maan Singh
- Chiranjeevi (Guest appearance)
- Mumaith Khan as Reshma, dirt bike race organiser
- Kim Sharma as Hamsa, the dancer (Item song "Jorsey")
- Hema as Sasikala
- Saloni Aswani as Solomon's girlfriend
90% of the film was shot at Gujarat, Rajasthan, Rann of Kutch, and Badami in Karnataka. Other scenes were filmed at Ramoji Film City in Hyderabad, India. The first song of the film, "Bangaru Kodi Petta", was filmed at the Chennai Port. The song "Nakosam Nuvvu" was shot in Switzerland. "Panchadara Bomma Bomma" was shot at Golkonda Fort in Hyderabad.
Geetha Arts released the film on 31 July 2009, the Malayalam dubbed version, titled Dheera — the Warrior, on 27 May 2011 and the Tamil version as Maaveeran.Producer Allu Aravind released the film on 31 July 2009 with 625 digital ufo prints in 1250 theaters across the globe, the biggest ever for a Telugu film, which included more than 1000 screens in Andhra Pradesh. The film opened up with 25 prints overseas. Maaveeran was released in 350 theaters across Tamil Nadu state.
The Times of India gave a 3/5 rating and said "Ram Charan Teja" showcases his horse-riding and dancing skills to perfection, while Kajal Aggarwal known for simple lover girl roles transforms into a determined princess and truly impresses. Actor Dev Gil is adequate as the ruthless villain. Also kudos for the way he has visualised and presented the film". Radhika Rajamani from Rediff rated it 3/5 and explained that "Ram Charan seems to be a chip of the old block when it comes to dancing. Have a look at it for its technical brilliance". NDTV who praised the lead performances and technical aspects of the film says "Ramcharan has excelled in all the departments and perfectly matched expectations. His macho image suited the warrior s character well. His ability to pen the screenplay could be seen in every frame and every scene of the film".
Sify Movies noted "Cinematography plays a vital role with capturing the historic ambience of castles, romantic sojourns into scintillating locales and also into the risky stunts." According to Suresh Krishnamoorthy from The Hindu stated "Rajamouli, who has delivered a half-a-dozen hits and is touted as one of the most successful directors of the decade in Telugu cinema, excels in story-telling. The vast expanse of the Thar desert in Rajasthan has been beautifully-showcased but what one does not understand is the colour on the screen. The sand is almost milky-bluish white!". Behindwoods gave 2.5/5 and wrote "There is great scope for action, heroics, romance and sentiments in such a plot and the director has used it extremely well. Overall, Magadheera is a film that is built on a premise which is neither unique nor holds too many surprises."
Magadheera is a Historical Blockbuster in Telugu Cinema History with a Theatrical Distributor Share collection of 73.1 crore (US$12 million) (worldwide share) without including satellite rights,music,home media rights. while its gross figure is more than 125 crore (US$20 million). Magadheera collected 1 crore from various theaters.It ran for over 1001 Days in 1 Theater making 2 crore (US$320,000). Magadheera collected 78 crore (US$13 million) (share) in its marathon run,maaveran collected 8 crore (US$1.3 million) (share) and dheera collected 3 crore (US$490,000) (share).
A single disc DVD and a 2-disc collector edition of the film were released by Sri Balaji Videos on 5 March 2010 in NTSC video format and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround audio format. On 13 April, the film was released on a high definition blu-ray disc. The 720p Blu Ray edition with 5.1 Dolby digital sound format of Magadheera holds top position in sales.
Magadheera completed 50 Days in 302 direct theaters worldwide.In which 280 theaters are from AP. Magadheera ran 100 Days in 225 direct theaters in India the film ran 720 Days in 5 theaters and 1001 Days in 1 kurnool theater. Magadheera had a marathon run their Magadheera completed 100 Days in 232 theaters worldwide.Magadheera Collected 78 crore (US$13 million) Share in 12 weeks.It Collected 62.5 crore (US$10 million) Share from Andhra Pradesh.It Collected 8 crore (US$1.3 million) in its tamil version and 2 crore (US$320,000) from malayalam version.Magadheera Collected 92 crore (US$15 million) Share including Satellite Deal.
Awards and nominations
|57th National Film Awards||Best Choreography||K. Siva Shankar||Won|
|Best Special Effects||R. Kamal Kannan||Won|
|Best Popular Feature Film||Allu Aravind||Won|
|Best Director||S. S. Rajamouli||Won|
|Best Editor||Kotagiri Venkateshwara Rao||Won|
|Best Art Director||Ravinder||Won|
|Best Choreographer||Shiva Shankar||Won|
|Best Costume Designer||Rama Rajamouli||Won|
|Best Special Effects||R. Kamal Kannan||Won|
|Special Jury Award||Ram Charan Teja||Won|
|57th Filmfare Awards South||Best Film||Allu Aravind||Won|
|Best Actor||Ram Charan Teja||Won|
|Best Actress||Kajal Aggarwal||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor||Srihari||Nominated|
|Best Music Director||M. M. Keeravani||Won|
|Best Male Playback||Anuj Gurwara
|Best Female Playback||Nikita Nigam
|Best Cinematographer||K.K. Senthil Kumar||Won|
|Studio album by M. M. Keeravani|
|Released||28 June 2009|
|Producer||M. M. Keeravani|
|M. M. Keeravani chronology|
The soundtrack of the film was released worldwide on 28 June 2009. The music was composed by M. M. Keeravani. Lyrics were provided by Bhuvanachandra, Chandrabose and M.M.Keeravani. The music was launched on the same day at Shilpakala Vedika by Ram Charan's father, film actor Chiranjeevi.
|1.||"Bangaru Kodipetta"||Bhuvanachandra||Ranjith, Shivani||6:02|
|2.||"Dheera Dheera Dheera"||Chandrabose||Nikita Nigam, M.M. Keeravani||4:48|
|3.||"Panchadara Bomma"||Chandrabose||Anuj Gurwara, Reeta||4:45|
|4.||"Jorsey"||Chandrabose||Daler Mehndi, Geetha Madhuri||4:37|
|5.||"Naakosam Nuvvu"||M.M.Keeravani||Deepu, Geetha Madhuri||3:52|
|6.||"Rolling Titles Music"||M.M.Keeravani||Jassie Gift||2:58|
- "Magadheera Movie Budget". muvi.com. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- Pawan Kalyan set to beat Ram Charan? - Times of India
- "Maghadheera is Dheera- The Warrior". Sify.com. 7 February 2011. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Allu To Present 'Dheera' – Malayalam Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 6 April 2011. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Ramcharan's Magadheera to be remade in Bengali". The Times of India. Retrieved 2014-05-20.
- "'We shot the horse sequences near Dholavira'". Rediff. Retrieved 7 August 2009.
- "'Magadheera' to be remade in Hindi". The Business Standard. Retrieved July 2011.
- "Magadheera ready to go international". Rediff. Retrieved 30 July 2009.
- "T-town's winning ‘period’". The Times of India. 7 August 2009. Retrieved 7 August 2009.
- "'Magadheera' to release with record prints overseas". Indiaglitz.com. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
- Prakash, B V S (2 August 2009). "Review". Times of India. Retrieved 2 August 2009.
- "Magadheera is technically brilliant". Rediff. Retrieved 31 July 2009.
- "Review: Magadheera". NDTV. Retrieved 3 August 2009.
- "Review". Sify. Retrieved 3 August 2009.
- "A visual extravaganza Film Review". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 1 August 2009. Retrieved 1 August 2009.
- "Maaveeran Review". Behindwoods.
- "Description – Magadheera ( 2 Disc Collector's Edition )". njmtv.com.
- "Description – Magadheera Telugu DVD". njmtv.com.
- "Description – Magadheera Telugu Blu Ray". njmtv.com.
- magadheera sales info
- "National Awards 2010: Magadheera Awarded Best Film Best Film in Telugu Language - Hyderabad News on fullhyd.com". Fullhyderabad.com. 16 September 2010. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Magadheera music launch – Telugu cinema – Ram Charan Teja & Kajal Agarwa". Idlebrain.com. 28 June 2009. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Hindi Tamil Telugu Malayalam Kannada Indian Movies Videos trailers film stills actress news music previews reviews gossip tit-bit". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 2010-12-02.
- Magadheera Movie Info and Gallery −16reels.com
|Filmfare Best Film Award (Telugu)