Magee Secondary School
|Magee Secondary School|
"Esse Quam Videri"
To be, rather than to seem to be
|6360 Maple Street
Vancouver, British Columbia, V6M 4M2, Canada
|Public transit access||16, 49|
|School board||School District 39 Vancouver|
|Area trustee||Clarence Hansen|
|Vice principal||Mr. Nick Akrap & Ms. Allison Kerr|
|Chief custodian||Harold Lal|
|School type||Secondary school|
|Colours||Red and Black|
Magee Secondary School is a public secondary school in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. It is one of the first public high schools located in the Kerrisdale neighbourhood and is fed by the surrounding elementary schools in its catchment area. They include Maple Grove Elementary School, Dr. R.E. McKechnie Elementary School, Sir William Osler Elementary School, and David Lloyd George Elementary School. It was used as a temporary hospital during the Influenza Epidemic in 1918. Magee was rebuilt for the new millennium and the new Magee was officially opened in 2000. It now has the newest facility among public high schools in Vancouver. Student population at Magee is approximately 1275 with a staff of approximately 100. Magee is noted for its SPARTS program—giving students a way to both attend school while pursuing and practicing their sport, music, or art. Magee boasts an outstanding fine arts department. Over 500 students are involved in the award-winning music department's three faculties: band (concert and jazz), choir and strings. Magee senior music students tour internationally every two years. Recent tours have included Hawaii, Thailand, St. Petersburg-Russia, Japan and Europe (2011). Some members of the String Orchestra were invited to play on the recording of International Recording Artist K’Naan’s new rendition of “Wavin’ Flag” for the Young Artists for Haiti project produced by legendary rock producer, Bob Ezrin. Many of the graduates of the art department go on to careers in art, with many of them studying internationally. The Magee Mainstage Theatre program provides opportunities for students to act, sing, dance, coach, write and direct in house productions. Once a year, Mainstage showcases a major musical. Recent productions have included: Anything Goes, The Pajama Game, Grease, Guys and Dolls, 42nd Street, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, and Urinetown (2012). The Magee Players is a popular junior theatre company that presents 2 performances each year.
Magee and Hollywood
The interiors and exteriors of Magee Secondary were used for the filming of the never aired The CW series Split Decision. It stood in for a fictional Hillcrest High School in California. Magee was also used (as fictional Buffalo Glenn High School) for the filming of the movie I Love You Beth Cooper starring Hayden Panettiere. Magee was also used to film part of the new Showcase TV show, Shattered starring Callum Keith Rennie
- Gary Basaraba - actor Brooklyn South, Boomtown
- Gil Bellows (1985), actor (with Morgan Freeman in "The Shawshank Redemption"; with Calista Flockhart in "Ally McBeal")
- Robert Christy (1932) physicist
- Judy Chu Chun-chun (1998), actress
- Thomas Fung, media group founder - Fairchild Group
- Bruce Greenwood (1974), actor
- Margot Kidder (1965), actress (with Christopher Reeve in "Superman"; with Robert Redford in "The Great Waldo Pepper")
- Michelle Lang (1993), only Canadian reporter to die in the War in Afghanistan.
- Graham Ludlow (1979), actor, screenwriter and producer ("She Drives Me Crazy" - Gemini Award for Best TV Movie - 2010)
- Grant McCracken (1969), Cultural Anthropologist
- Rebecca Marino, tennis player
- Scott Masse - with Bryan Hoad, 501 productions
- Carrie-Anne Moss (1985), actress (with Keanu Reeves in "The Matrix"; with Guy Pearce in "Memento")
- Grace Park (1992), model/actress (Battlestar Galactica, Hawaii Five-0)
- Justin Peck, Phantom of the Opera, New York and Hamburg 
- Josh Ramsay (1998), lead singer of the band Marianas Trench
- Dal Richards, OBC conductor and musician
- Rachel Roberts (1996), actress,model 2000 SI swimsuit edition
- Jeremy Ten (2008), figure skater, 2009 Canadian Bronze Medalist
- Emmanuelle Vaugier (b.1976), actress (Two and a Half Men, Saw series, with Josh Hartnett in "40 Days and 40 Nights", One Tree Hill, CSI: NY)
- Matt Webb, guitarist of the band Marianas Trench
- Alex Wong, So You Think You Can Dance Season 6 (2010)
- Richard 'Disco Dick' Zokol- ex-PGA tour member
- Kwong, Debbie (2006-11-07). [http://mageelion.ca/index.php? option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=29 "Administration"]. Magee Secondary School. Retrieved 2008-11-16.
- George, Randy (2007-03-28). "Principal's message". Magee Secondary School. Retrieved 2008-11-16.
- "School Contacts". Vancouver School Board. Retrieved 2008-11-19.[dead link]
- "School Information". B.C. Ministry of Education. 2008-09-30. Retrieved 2008-11-19.