||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (April 2013)|
Magento Admin Panel
(Community Edition, spanish)
|Stable release||community edition 18.104.22.168 / professional edition 22.214.171.124 / enterprise edition 1.13 / December 11, 2013|
|Type||Webshop, Shopping cart|
|License||OSL Ver. 3 / AFL Ver. 3|
Magento is an open source e-commerce web application that was launched on March 31, 2008 under the name Bento. It was developed by Varien (now Magento a division of eBay) with help from the programmers within the open source community but is now owned solely by eBay Inc.
In November 2013, W3Techs estimated that Magento was used by 0.9% of all websites.
Varien, the company owning Magento, formerly worked with osCommerce. They had originally planned to fork osCommerce but later decided to rewrite it as Bento. Due in part to a naming conflict with FileMaker Inc. who had already trademarked the name Bento, Varien and osCommerce renamed Bento to Magento, a mix of Bento and Mage. The term Mage is said to pay homage to the Mage or Wizard of traditional D&D style role playing games. The Varien programming community often refer to Magento's magical getter and setter commands as "The Will of the Mage".
Magento officially started development in early 2007. Seven months later, on August 31, 2007, the first public beta version was released.
As of June 6, 2011 eBay owns 100% of Magento. eBay announced that Magento would join eBay's new X.Commerce initiative.
Magento's CEO and co-founder Roy Rubin wrote on the Magento blog stating that "Magento will continue to operate out of Austin, with Yoav Kutner and me as its leaders.".
Yoav Kutner left Magento in April 2012. It's said that Kutner left over an eBay acquisition dispute regarding partner company Xtento.
- Comparison of shopping cart software
- Comparison of free software eCommerce web application frameworks
- List of online payment service providers
- Varien and the Magento eCommerce Platform framework.zend.com. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- Magento – Blog – Award-winning Tool King website upgrades to Magento Enterprise Edition Platform – eCommerce Software for Growth. Magentocommerce.com (2009-12-04). Retrieved on 2012-07-07.
- Magento – Knowledge Base – Magento for Developers: Part 7 – Advanced ORM – Entity Attribute Value – eCommerce Software for Growth. Magentocommerce.com (2009-12-06). Retrieved on 2012-07-07.
- Usage statistics and market share of Magento for websites. W3Techs.com. Retrieved on 2013-11-26.
- Interview: Roy Rubin About Magento Open Source eCommerce. ecommerceoptimization.com (July 2007).
- eBay Owns 49% Of Magento Inc – Confirmed | Magik. Blog.magikcommerce.com. Retrieved on 2012-07-07.
- Magento – Blog – Announcing the Magento Enterprise Edition – eCommerce Software for Growth. Magentocommerce.com (2009-04-15). Retrieved on 2012-07-07.
- eBay Acquires Open Source Ecommerce Company Magento. Mashable.com (2011-06-06). Retrieved on 2012-07-07.
- Magento Founder Yoav Kutner on His Departure from eBay. C4 Commerce (2012-04-15). Retrieved on 2013-04-08.