||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (April 2013)|
Magento Admin Panel
(Community Edition, spanish)
|Stable release||community edition 188.8.131.52 / professional edition 184.108.40.206 / enterprise edition 1.13 / April 11, 2013|
|Type||Webshop, Shopping cart|
|License||OSL Ver. 3 / AFL Ver. 3|
Magento is an open source e-commerce web application that was launched on March 31, 2008. It was developed by Varien (now Magento Inc) with help from the programmers within the open source community but is owned solely by Magento Inc.. Magento was built using the Zend Framework. It uses the entity-attribute-value (EAV) database model to store data.
The Magento Community Edition is the only free version of Magento available.
Varien, the company owning Magento, formerly worked with osCommerce. They originally planned to fork osCommerce but later decided to rewrite it as Magento. Magento officially started development in early 2007. Seven months later, on August 31, 2007, the first public beta version was released. On May 30, 2010, Magento mobile was released; it allows store owners to create native mobile storefront apps.
As of June 6, 2011 eBay owns 100% of Magento. eBay announced that Magento would join eBay's new X.Commerce initiative.
Magento's CEO and co-founder Roy Rubin wrote on the Magento blog stating that "Magento will continue to operate out of Los Angeles, with Yoav Kutner and me as its leaders.".
As of February 2, 2012 Magento passed 4 million downloads of its software platform.
Yoav Kutner left Magento in April 2012.
The Magento ecommerce system has been widely adopted by online retailers with 150,000 sites known to use it ranging from smaller ecommerce websites to large multinational businesses such as Harvey Nichols and Samsung.
While Magento offers a free "Community" edition, it should be noted that the software is a complex solution that will typically require the user to have a reasonable grasp of php and html in order to set a customized store live. While there is an enormous amount of 'self help' available on forums and offered by the Magento community, support from Magento can only be obtained by purchasing the Enterprise edition.
Distinguishing features 
As an e-commerce platform, Magento allows for features including flexible product display options, mobile templates, transaction options, multi-store and multi-site functionality, user accounts and loyalty programs, product categorisation and shopper filtering, and discount and promotion rules.
As a web platform, Magento uses its own take on the model-view-controller (MVC) model. The differences between the traditional model and Magento's model are the following:
- The use of a layout file to control what's displayed on each view.
- The use of "blocks" that can be inserted into any view easily via the layout.
- The use of a model re-write system.
See also 
- Comparison of shopping cart software
- Comparison of free and open source eCommerce web application framework
- Varien and the Magento eCommerce Platform framework.zend.com. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- Magento – Blog – Award-winning Tool King website upgrades to Magento Enterprise Edition Platform – eCommerce Software for Growth. Magentocommerce.com (2009-12-04). Retrieved on 2012-07-07.
- Magento – Knowledge Base – Magento for Developers: Part 7 – Advanced ORM – Entity Attribute Value – eCommerce Software for Growth. Magentocommerce.com (2009-12-06). Retrieved on 2012-07-07.
- Interview: Roy Rubin About Magento Open Source eCommerce. ecommerceoptimization.com (July 2007).
- eBay Owns 49% Of Magento Inc – Confirmed | Magik. Blog.magikcommerce.com. Retrieved on 2012-07-07.
- Magento – Blog – Announcing the Magento Enterprise Edition – eCommerce Software for Growth. Magentocommerce.com (2009-04-15). Retrieved on 2012-07-07.
- eBay Acquires Open Source Ecommerce Company Magento. Mashable.com (2011-06-06). Retrieved on 2012-07-07.
- 4 Million and Counting! | Blog. Ultimento (2012-02-02). Retrieved on 2012-07-07.
- Magento Founder Yoav Kutner on His Departure from eBay. C4 Commerce (2012-04-15). Retrieved on 2013-04-08.
- Rackspace Becomes Platinum Level Magento Hosting Partner. CDN-Advisor.com. Retrieved on 2013-04-21.
- "Builtwith Trends - Magento". Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- "Magento Ecommerce Users". Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- "Magento Website Design & Ecommerce Development". Infinity Technologies. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "Intro to Layouts". Magento. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "Standard Block Layout". Magento. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- Official Magento website
- Magento tutorial
- Magento extensions
- Free magento extensions & themes
- Magento Blog
- Best Magento extensions
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Magento|