Margaret A. Boden, OBE, (born 26 November 1936) is a researcher in the fields of artificial intelligence, psychology, philosophy, cognitive and computer science. Currently Research Professor of cognitive science at the Department of informatics at the University of Sussex, Boden was the founding-Dean of the university's School of Cognitive and Computing Sciences (COGS), precursor of the university's current Department of Informatics. Educated at Newnham College, Cambridge, where she took first class honors in medical sciences and in the history of modern philosophy, she later earned a Ph.D. in social psychology in 1968 from Harvard University.
In April 2004, Boden was awarded an Honorary Degree by the Open University as Doctor of the University.
- Purposive Explanation In Psyco (Harvard University Press, 1972);
- Artificial Intelligence And Natural Man (1977/1987: 2nd edn., MIT Press), ISBN 978-0-262-52123-9
- Piaget (Fontana Modern Masters 1979; 2nd edn. Harper Collins, 1984);
- The Case for a Cognitive Biology. (In Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society, 54: 25–40, with Susan Khin Zaw, 1980);
- Minds And Mechanisms (Cornell University Press, 1981);
- Computer Models Of Mind: Computational approaches in theoretical psychology (Cambridge University Press, 1988), ISBN 978-0-521-27033-5
- Artificial Intelligence In Psychology: Interdisciplinary Essays (MIT Press, 1989), ISBN 978-0-262-02285-9
- The Philosophy Of Artificial Intelligence, ed. (Oxford Readings in Philosophy, Oxford University Press, 1989/90), ISBN 978-0-19-875155-7
- The Creative Mind: Myths and Mechanisms (Weidenfeld/Abacus & Basic Books, 1990; 2nd edn. Routldge, 2004), ISBN 978-0-415-31453-4
- Dimensions Of Creativity, ed. (MIT Press, 1994);
- The Philosophy Of Artificial Life, ed. Oxford University Press, 1996).
- Artificial Intelligence (Handbook of Perception and Cognition, 2nd Ed, Academic Press Inc., 1996), ISBN 978-0-12-161964-0
- Mind As Machine: A History of Cognitive Science, (2 volumes, Oxford University Press, 2006), ISBN 978-0-19-929237-0 / ISBN 978-0-19-924144-6
Honors by election
- Fellow (and former Vice-President) of the British Academy — and Chairman of their Philosophy Section until July 2002.
- Member of the Academia Europaea.
- Fellow of the American Association for Artificial Intelligence (AAAI).
- Fellow of the European Coordinating Committee for Artificial Intelligence (ECCAI).
- Life Fellow of the UK's Society for Artificial Intelligence and the Simulation of Behaviour.
- Member of Council of the Royal Institute of Philosophy.
- Former Vice-President (and Chairman of Council) of the Royal Institution of Great Britain.
- Noam Chomsky Symposium on Margaret Boden, Mind as Machine: A History of Cognitive Science, Oxford (2006) two volumes. Reviewed in Artificial Intelligence Volume 171, Issue 18, (December 2007) Pages 1094-1103
- Prof. Maggie Boden, University of Sussex, Department of Informatics
- University of Sussex, Department of Informatics
- Critical review of Mind As Machine by Noam Chomsky
- Boden's reply to reviews by Feldman, Thagard, and Chomsky of Mind As Machine