November 18, 1981 |
|Genres||Fantasy, Young adult fiction|
- 1 Early life
- 2 Writing career
- 3 Music
- 4 Art
- 5 Bibliography
- 6 Shiver
- 7 Linger
- 8 The Raven Boys
- 9 The Scorpio Races
- 10 Film adaptations
- 11 Recognition
- 12 References
- 13 External links
After being home-schooled from sixth grade on, Maggie Stiefvater attended Mary Washington College, graduating with a B.A. in history. After graduating, she worked as a portrait artist, specializing in equestrian art, which is collected internationally. At 16, she legally changed her first name from Heidi to Margaret. She is married with two children.
Stiefvater published her first novel, Lament in 2008, after several years and many dozens of rejections. Before Lament had been released, she sold the rights to Ballad, the sequel to Lament, and to Shiver. Shiver was embraced by independent booksellers and overseas publishers, ultimately selling to more than 38 foreign territories. The Shiver Trilogy spent more than 40 weeks on the New York Times Bestseller List. In 2010, Linger debuted at the number one spot on the New York Times Bestseller List.
In 2010, Stiefvater was asked to speak at a TEDxNASA conference in Virginia and delivered a presentation called "How Bad Teens Become Famous People."
Stiefvater is also known for her music. She played the highland bagpipes competitively while in college, and began a Celtic band, Ballynoola, that toured on the eastern seaboard. She plays multiple other instruments as well. With her sister, Kate Hummel, she writes and records a piece of music for each novel she releases. These are released to the public in the form of animated book trailers. Stiefvater is also known for drawing on guitars with Sharpie (marker)s and giving them away to fans at major events.
Before turning to writing full-time, Stiefvater was a professional portrait artist, specializing in colored pencil. For several years she was part of the Painting a Day movement made popular by Duane Keiser. She posted new art daily on her painting blog, Greywaren Art. She taught art workshops nationally and her art was featured in magazines such as Art Calendar, ACEO Magazine, Horses in Art and American Carriage Driver. Her art was also hung in exhibitions such as the Colored Pencil Society of America's International Exhibition and American Academy of Equine Art's National Exhibition.
Stiefvater also animates the book trailers for each of her books, using both stop-motion animation and traditional animation techniques.
Books of Faerie novels
- Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception (2008)
- Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie (October, 2009)
- Requiem (2013)
The Shiver Trilogy
- Shiver (August 1, 2009,US / October 5, 2009,UK)
- Linger (July 13, 2010,US / 20 July 2010,UK)
- Forever (July 12, 2011,US / July 13, 2011,UK)
- Sinner (2014) 
The Raven Cycle
- The Raven Boys (September 18, 2012)
- The Dream Thieves (September 17, 2013)
- TBA (TBA)
- TBA (TBA)
- An Infinite Thread (2008)
- "The Hounds of Ulster" short story in the anthology, Kiss Me Deadly (August 1, 2010)
- "Non Quis, Sed Quid" short story in the anthology, Demons: Encounters with the Devil and His Minions, Fallen Angels, and the Possessed (September 2011)
- The Scorpio Races (October 18, 2011)
- The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories a compiled anthology with Tessa Gratton and Brenna Yovanoff (August 2012)
The dark-blonde-haired and brown-eyed Grace has always watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed grey-furred wolf — her wolf — has a chilling presence she cannot seem to live without since an attack by the wolves six years ago caused wolf and girl to meet. Since the incident, a connection between the two has grown every winter: when the wolf comes to watch Grace as she reads or does homework in her yard, she watches him back.
Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, inside frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl, the girl he saved, the one who would change him in the near future. In summer, he gains a few precious months of being human, gains the opportunity to talk to the girl he saved, but does not have the courage to do so until the cold makes him shift back again. However, incidents like being shot and cared for by Grace change a lot.
Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. Is it her wolf? It has to be. Since he was shot and suddenly shifted, Grace hides Sam in her house and eventually love comes, and Sam becomes Grace's boyfriend. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human — or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.
In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past... and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabel, who already lost her brother to the wolves... and is nonetheless drawn to Cole. At turns harrowing and euphoric, Linger is a spellbinding love story that explores both sides of love - the light and the dark, the warm and the cold - in a way you will never forget.
The Raven Boys
Filled with mystery, romance, and the supernatural, The Raven Boys introduces readers to Richard “Dick” Campbell Gansey, III and Blue Sargent. Gansey has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on the hunt to find Glendower, a vanished Welsh king. Legend has it that the first person to find him will be granted a wish—either by seeing him open his eyes, or by cutting out his heart.
Blue Sargent, the daughter of the town psychic in Henrietta, Virginia, has been told for as long as she can remember that if she ever kisses her true love, he will die. But she is too practical to believe in things like true love. Her policy is to stay away from the rich boys at the prestigious Aglionby Academy. The boys there—known as Raven Boys—can only mean trouble. When Gansey and his Raven Boy friends come into her life, Blue realizes how true this is. She never thought her fortune would be a problem. But she was wrong.
The Raven Boys has been announced as a four-book series.
The Scorpio Races
It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.
At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.
Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen. 
The Scorpio Races was a 2012 Michael L. Printz Award Honor Book
The Scorpio Races
The Raven Boys
Warner Brother, in conjunction with Weed Road, optioned the film rights for The Raven Boys shortly before the book's release in September 2012. No screenplay has been written; casting has not begun.
The Raven Boys
- TIME Magazine Season's Most Anticipated Reads
- Junior Library Guild Selection
- Amazon Books Editors' Selection: Fall Favorites
- Autumn 2012 Kids' Indie Next List Pick
- Winner of AudioFile Earphones Award
The Scorpio Races
- Michael L. Printz Award Honor, 2012
- The Odyssey Honor Award 2012 for Best Audio Production
- Los Angeles Times Book Times Award Finalist, 2012
- ALA Notable Books for Children, 2012
- The New York Times Notable Children's Books of 2011
- Publishers Weekly Best Children's Books of 2011
- Chicago Public Library's Best of the Best, 2012
- Amazon's Best Books for Teens 2011
- School Library Journal's Best Books of the Year
- Kirkus' Best Teen Books of the Year (2011)
- Horn Book Best Books of 2011
- Children's Book Committee 2012 Best Children's Books of the Year
- Finalist, 2012 Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children’s Literature
- YALSA Top Ten Best Fiction for Young Adults, 2012
- YALSA Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults, 2012
- 2012 NCTE/ CLA Notable Children's Book in the English Language Arts
- Debuted at #9 on the New York Times bestseller list
- Indies Choice Book Award Finalist
- ALA Best Books for Young Adults
- ALA Quick Pick for Reluctant Readers
- Amazon Top Ten Books for Teens
- Publishers Weekly Best Books of 2009
- Border's Original Voices Pick & Finalist
- Barnes & Noble 2009 Top Twenty Books for Teens
- CBC Children's Choice Awards Finalist
- 2010 SIBA Book Award, Finalist
- Glamour's Best Book to Curl Up With
- VOYA's Perfect Ten, 2009
- BDB Top Young Reads of 2009
- ALA 2010 Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults
- ALA 2010 Best Books for Young Adults
- SIBA Book Award Nominee
- Starred review, Publisher's Weekly
- Starred review, Booklist
- Starred review, KLIATT
- Maggie Stiefvater's Author Bio - Scholastic
- The Mane Event: Maggie Stiefvater on success, rejection, and her new novel, ‘The Scorpio Races’
- CHASEN GALLERIES - Fine Art and Glass Gallery Richmond Virginia
- Cynsations: Author Interview: Maggie Stiefvater on Lament: The Farie Queen's Deception
- Deals: Elements of Graphic Style
- Kids' Indie Next List | IndieBound
- Foreign Editions | Maggie Stiefvater
- Fantasy writer makes real impact on fiction genre | National Writers Series
- TEDxNASA - Maggie Stiefvater - How Bad Teens Become Famous People - YouTube
- Greywaren Art: Carytown Series Underway!
- PW Talks with Maggie Stiefvater
- Maggie Stiefvater - YouTube
- Win a Maggie Stiefvater original Sharpie guitar! | National Writers Series
- The Children's Book Council
- Duane Keiser Studio
- Greywaren Art
- Maggie Stiefvater - Artist info
- MAKING A MARK: International exhibitions of coloured pencil artwork: CPSA and UKCPS
- The Making of the Book Trailer for THE RAVEN BOYS | Maggie Stiefvater
- Rights and Coeditions
- maggiestiefvater | Scholastic Media Room
- The Scorpio Races | Maggie Stiefvater
- Southport Reporter Page 2 of that report has an exlusive video of her talking about the about her books and the film when she was in Liverpool (UK)
- Screenwriter hired for movie of Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater | Novel Novice
- Unique sparks to ‘Shiver’ | Variety
- Warner Bros. Developing 'Scorpio Races' Fantasy (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter
- New Line Picks Up Maggie Stiefvater's YA Novel 'The Raven Boys' - Hollywood Reporter
- Maggie Stiefvater's Website
- Maggie Stiefvater's LiveJournal
- Maggie Stiefvater's Group Blog
- Maggie Stiefvater at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database