Magic: The Gathering Commander
||This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (December 2013)|
|Released||June 17th, 2011|
|Size||Five 100-card decks, including 51 new cards|
|Designers||Ken Nagle (Lead), Mark Gottlieb, Scott Larabee, Ryan Miller, Mark Purvis|
|Developers||Mark Globus (Lead), Peter Knudson, Erik Lauer, Ryan Miller, Lee Sharpe|
Commander is a format where players construct 100-card decks, with each card except basic lands appearing no more than once. Players also choose a legendary creature to be their "Commander" (also known as a "General"), which begins the game in the "Command Zone". Each player's deck is based and built around their Commander's colors. In addition to the same losing conditions that exist in a normal game of Magic, a player may lose if he or she is dealt 21 total points of combat damage from a single Commander throughout the game. Commander is most commonly played in groups of four, but larger groups do happen. A one-on-one variant on the Commander rule set has been rising in popularity. The Official 1v1 Commander Website contains a list of rulings and variant specific banned cards in .pdf format located here.
Magic: The Gathering Commander was released on June 17, 2011. It consisted of five preconstructed decks, each containing three foil oversized legendary creature cards. This set is notable in that it was the first set printed outside of the normal booster pack expansions to have functionally new cards. The set introduced 51 new cards, made specifically for multi-player games.
Each deck is built around a new legendary creature and a distinct mechanical theme. In addition to the intended Commander, they include two other new legendary creatures.
- Heavenly Inferno (white/black/red, commanded by Kaalia of the Vast) features a variety of Angels, Demons, and Dragons that Kaalia can put directly into play, and numerous creature destruction effects. Its other new Legendary creatures are Tariel, Reckoner of Souls and Basandra, Battle Seraph.
- Mirror Mastery (blue/red/green, commanded by Riku of Two Reflections) uses large amounts of mana acceleration to cast powerful spells and creatures for Riku to copy. Its other new Legendary creatures are Animar, Soul of Elements and Edric, Spymaster of Trest.
- Counterpunch (black/green/white, commanded by Ghave, Guru of Spores) is constructed around the dual themes of creature tokens and +1/+1 counters. Its other new Legendary creatures are Karador, Ghost Chieftain and Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter.
- Political Puppets (red/white/blue, commanded by Zedruu the Greathearted) uses Zedruu to gain cards and life while earning good will and turning opponents against each other. Its other new Legendary creatures are Ruhan of the Fomori and Nin, the Pain Artist.
- Devour for Power (green/blue/black, commanded by The Mimeoplasm) fills graveyards with creatures in order to power up The Mimeoplasm and other synergistic cards. Its other new Legendary creatures are Damia, Sage of Stone and Skullbriar, the Walking Grave.
Commander's Arsenal is a set with 18 premium foil cards, 10 oversized premium foil cards, card sleeves, a life counter, and tokens for keeping track of in-game effects. The set was released on November 2, 2012. Each card in the set was the first edition of that card to receive premium foil treatment, the first to be printed in the modern frame, and/or received special art.
Commander 2013 was released on November 1, 2013. It introduced five new pre-constructed decks, each built around one of the three-colored "shards". 51 new cards were printed for Commander 2013, including five that introduced the mechanic Tempting offer, which allows opponents to duplicate the card's effect but at the cost of granting its controller a larger effect.
- Evasive Maneuvers (green/white/blue, commanded by Derevi, Empyrial Tactician)
- Eternal Bargain (white/blue/black, commanded by Oloro, Ageless Ascetic)
- Mind Seize (blue/black/red, commanded by Jeleva, Nephalia’s Scourge)
- Power Hungry (black/red/green, commanded by Prossh, Skyraider of Kher)
- Nature of the Beast (red/green/white, commanded by Marath, Will of the Wild)
- Shawn Main (May 20, 2014). "Conspiring a Conspiracy". Wizards of the Coast. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "EDH is now Commander". TCGplayer.com. December 2, 2010. Retrieved June 21, 2011.
- "Magic: The Gathering Commander Rules". Wizards of the Coast. Retrieved June 21, 2011.,
- "Deck Construction Rules". MTGCommander.com. Retrieved June 21, 2011.
- "Commander Spoiler". MTG Salvation. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- Ashley, Monty (December 2, 2010). "Announcing Magic: The Gathering Commander". Wizards of the Coast. Retrieved June 5, 2011.
- Ashley, Monty (June 14, 2011). "Magic: The Gathering Commander Decklists". Wizards of the Coast. Retrieved June 3, 2012.
- Ashley, Monty (August 10, 2012). "Commander's Arsenal". Wizards of the Coast. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- Commander Product Info
- Commander site
- Official Commander rules
- Cards Currently Banned in Commander
- Official 1v1 Commander Website