|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2014)|
Class diagram in MagicDraw 17.0
|Developer(s)||No Magic, Inc.|
|Stable release||18.0 / June 2, 2014|
MagicDraw is a visual UML, SysML, BPMN, and UPDM modeling tool with team collaboration support. Designed for business analysts, software analysts, programmers, and QA engineers, this dynamic and versatile development tool facilitates analysis and design of object oriented (OO) systems and databases. It provides the code engineering mechanism (with full round-trip support for J2EE, C#, C++, CORBA IDL programming languages, .NET, XML Schema, WSDL), as well as database schema modeling, DDL generation and reverse engineering facilities.
- 1 Features
- 2 Related products and plugins
- 3 References
- 4 External links
Domain specific language
The domain specific language (DSL) customization engine allows for adapting MagicDraw to a specific profile and modeling domain, thus allowing the customization of multiple GUIs, model initialization, adding semantic rules, and creating one’s own specification dialogs and smart manipulators. The ability to use multiple specific customizations helps to make MagicDraw better oriented to specific platforms, technologies or domains, and can even hide UML entirely. Active validation allows the checking of domain specific models in real time and suggests help and can even fix some issues. DSL elements can be converted to any subtype or a more general type using the “Convert to” function. DSL allows custom derived properties to be created that allow extending a UML metamodel or its profile.
All DSL'ed elements can be numbered by using the generic numbering mechanism. The elements can be numbered in consecutive or multi-level style. The separator or prefix of number can be changed during the element numbering.
Model Decomposition is a function which can split projects and other work into independent parts.
- Lazy loading allows the specification of modules that should not be loaded into memory by default when a project is started. Module elements are only loaded as they are specifically requested.
- Read-Write modules allow module editing of a fragmented model. It is also used during model refactoring.
- Since MagicDraw has the ability to have flexible control over the dependencies between model parts, it is possible to continue working with the product without resolving dependencies between model parts.
- Indexing – ability to create an index of an unloaded module. It allows using part of the elements of the module without loading it.
Template based documentation generation
MagicDraw supports MS Word and Open Document Format template.
Templates for SDD and UCS (Software Design Document and Use Case Specification), architectural templates: use case report, structural report, behavioral report, implementation report, environment report, Model Extension, Data Dictionary, Business Process Modeling Notation, Web publisher with collaboration ability for commenting on and editing report data through a web browser.
The following analysis facilities are available in MagicDraw:
- The Dependency Matrix allows visualizing relationships of a large system in a compact way. Export to .csv is also available.
- Traceability between different levels of abstraction which makes it possible to find more specific and realizing elements, usually not from the same view. This allows for handy specification and realization discovery, and navigation. Predefined traceability suites are customizable to customers’ needs.
- Visual model differencing allows viewing the changes made between two different versions of a model.
- Representation of the number of class and package dependencies is automatically generated after code is reverse engineered.
- Usage in Diagrams allows viewing the diagrams on which a particular data element was represented.
Model refactoring like code refactoring is the disciplined technique used for modifying or improving an existing model. The following refactoring functions are available in MagicDraw:
- Element conversion
- Relationship direction reversion
- Diagram extraction (this function is available only for the activity and composite structure diagrams)
MagicDraw provides transformation of UML models to specific XML Schema and DB models (generic and Oracle DDL) and vice versa, and any to any transformation.
Also model-to-model transformations between the same or different meta-models can be defined and run directly in MagicDraw by using the QVT plugin. The QVT (Query/View/Transformation) is a standard defined by the Object Management Group.
Related products and plugins
The MagicDraw Teamwork Server allows simultaneous work by multiple users on the same project, since locking information is transferred quickly between the client and the server. Real time information is provided to all users about who is working on which part of the model. MagicDraw Teamwork Server stores and allows restoration of previous versions of projects and modules. The older project can be restored as current. MagicDraw Teamwork Server integrates with LDAP servers. This integration authenticates MagicDraw users against the LDAP Server using the Simple User + Password combination or SASL authentication as well as the SSL/TLS protocol.
Cameo Business Modeler
OMG BPMN 2.0 support with all three diagrams (Process, Collaboration and Choreography), model validation and reports are available with the Cameo Business Modeler plugin
The SysML plugin supports the latest OMG SysML Specification 1.3 version. The SysML plugin supports all SysML diagrams including Requirements, Block Definition, Internal Blocks, Parametric and other diagrams. Validation constraints actively check and validate user-created models against a set of constraints. SysML provides support for analysis, design, and validation of a broad range of systems and system integrations.
The UPDM plugin supports the latest OMG UPDM Specification 2.0 version. It unifies MoDAF 1.2, DoDAF 1.5 and DoDAF 2.0, NAF 3. It has support for all DoDAF and MoDAF modeling artifacts based on the DoDAF and MoDAF Architecture Frameworks, with reports, wizards, model correctness and completeness validation constraints, as well as usability features.
Cameo Simulation Toolkit
Cameo Simulation Toolkit provides the first in the industry extendable model execution framework based on OMG fUML and W3C SCXML standards. It extends MagicDraw to validate system behavior by executing, animating, and debugging UML 2.0 State machines and Activity models in the context of realistic mock-ups of the intended user interface.
- Java and Mac OS X By T. Gene Davis
- "OMG Systems Modeling Language". Object Management Group. Retrieved 2011-04-02.