Magic (Pilot song)
|Single by Pilot|
|from the album From the Album of the Same Name|
|B-side||"Just Let Me Be"|
|Released||2nd November 1974|
|Genre||Pop rock, soft rock, funk rock|
"Magic" is a popular 1974 song by Scottish pop rock band Pilot, and was the first hit single for the group. It was written by Pilot's David Paton for their debut album, From the Album of the Same Name.
It charted most successfully in Canada, where it reached No. 1, topping the RPM national singles chart on 19 July 1975, and received a gold certification. It climbed as far as #11 on the UK Singles Chart and reached No. 5 during the summer of 1975 in the United States on the Billboard Hot 100.
Selena Gomez version
|Promotional single by Selena Gomez from the album Wizards of Waverly Place|
|Released||14 February 2009|
|Producer||Jeannie Lurie, Aris Archontis, Chen Neeman|
"Magic" was performed by American pop recording artist Selena Gomez for the soundtrack to the Disney Channel TV series Wizards of Waverly Place. It was released as a single on 14 February 2009 through Walt Disney Records.
The song peaked at number 61 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart. Elsewhere, the song peaked at number 81 on the Canadian Hot 100 chart and at number five on the Norwegian Singles Chart. It has sold 541,000 copies. 
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||81|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||90|
|US Billboard Hot 100||61|
"Magic" was covered by Sally Boyden on her 1976 album The Littlest Australian. The song was sampled by Girl Talk on his 2006 release Night Ripper on the track "Summer Smoke". The song is also heavily sampled in a song titled "It's Magic" by rap artist J.R. Writer. It was then sampled again by rapper Flo Rida in 2009. The alternative rock band Barenaked Ladies has been known to sometimes close live shows by playing the song as part of a medley. It has also been covered by Patrick Juvet.
Use in advertising/other
The song featured in a long-running series of advertisements for Magic Kingdom in Lansvale, a suburb of Sydney, Australia, during the 1980s.
Commercials for AT&T used a re-sung verse sung as "Oh, Oh...It's Magic" at the end of its commercials for the 00 number.
It was also used in a Pillsbury Company commercial in 2007.
Pilot's version is heard in a 2010 TV commercial for Chase.
The song featured in the 2005 film The Magic Roundabout.
The song used in the 1996 film Happy Gilmore.
- Library and Archives Canada. http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/rpm/028020-119.01-e.php?brws_s=1&file_num=nlc008388.3989a&type=1&interval=24&PHPSESSID=ccntousk30frf6h4jsn237nm12
- Music Canada, Gold Platinum Database. http://www.musiccanada.com/GPSearchResult.aspx?st=Magic&ica=False&sa=Pilot&sl=&smt=0&sat=-1&ssb=Artist
- "Selena Gomez – Chart History". acharts.us. Retrieved 10 February 2011.
- "SELENA GOMEZ – MAGIC (SONG) on Norway Charts". norwegiancharts.com. Retrieved 10 February 2011.
- "The Official Charts Company - Magic (Pilot song)". The Official Charts Company. 26 July 2013.
- The Littlest Australian by Sally Boyden : Reviews and Ratings. Rate Your Music.
- Barenaked Ladies performing musical montage, starting with Oh, Oh, Oh It's Magic. YouTube (8 August 2010).
- Patrick JUVET – MAGIC. YouTube (17 April 2010).
- MIO J – TV Commercial 2012 – YouTube.
"Listen to What the Man Said" by Wings
|Canadian RPM number-one single
19 July 1975 (1 week)
"The Hustle" by Van McCoy