Magic Circle (law)
The Magic Circle is an informal term for what are generally considered the five leading law firms headquartered in the United Kingdom, and the four or five leading London-based commercial barristers' chambers.
These firms are generally regarded as the most prestigious law firms headquartered in the UK, and consistently have the highest earnings per-partner and earnings per-lawyer among UK-headquartered law firms.
In 2013 four members of the Magic Circle were among the ten largest law firms in the world measured by revenues, with Clifford Chance, Linklaters, Allen & Overy and Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer respectively the fifth-largest, seventh-largest, eight-largest and ninth-largest by this measurement. In 2010 Slaughter and May was the 48th-largest law firm in the world by this measure, with revenues of $628,500,000.
|Rank||Firm||Revenues||Location of headquarters|
|1||Baker & McKenzie||$2,540,000,000||United States|
|2||DLA Piper||$2,480,000,000||United States|
|3||Latham & Watkins||$2,290,000,000||United States|
|4||Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom||$2,230,000,000||United States|
|5||Clifford Chance||$2,130,000,000||United Kingdom|
|6||Kirkland & Ellis||$2,020,000,000||United States|
|8||Allen & Overy||$1,930,000,000||United Kingdom|
|9||Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer||$1,920,000,000||United Kingdom|
|10||Norton Rose Fulbright||$1,900,000,000||United Kingdom|
|4||Allen & Overy||£1,234,300,000|
|5||Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer||£1,232,000,000|
|6||Norton Rose Fulbright||£1,152,000,000|
|8||Herbert Smith Freehills||£800,000,000|
The following barristers' chambers are often described as constituting the Bar's Magic Circle:
- Blackstone Chambers
- Brick Court Chambers
- Essex Court Chambers
- Fountain Court Chambers
- One Essex Court
- List of 100 largest law firms globally (2010)
- List of largest European law firms 2011
- List of largest European law firms 2009
- List of largest European law firms 2005
- List of largest United Kingdom-based law firms
- List of largest Chinese law firms (2009)
- Big Five law firms (South Africa)
- Seven Sisters (law firms)
- Big Six law firms
- Silver Circle
- White shoe firm
- Red Circle (law)
- Big Four (audit firms)
- 'Different types of law firm'
- "Clifford Chance Is Top U.K. Law Firm as Revenue Falls". Bloomberg Businessweek. 8 July 2010. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- "It's a kind of magic". The Law Gazette. 21 May 2004. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- LawBritannia Legal Glossary: Online UK Law Careers Counselling
- "Global Law Firms Chart Slow But Steady Growth". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "Silver Circle". The Lawyer. 3 September 2007. Retrieved 25 October 2010.
- "'Silver circle' firms upset the legal order". The Times. 28 August 2005. Retrieved 25 October 2010.
- "LB100 2014: The Main Table". Legal Business. 2 September 2014. Retrieved 10 February 2015.
- Set for a fight - 26 June 2000
- Dowell, Katy (2011). "The Bar". The Lawyer (London: Centaur Media). Retrieved 29 October 2011.