Attraction poster for Magic Journeys
|Attraction type||3D Film|
|Designer||Walt Disney Imagineering
(Colossal) Pictures (animation)
|Theme||The world through the eyes of a child|
|Music||The Sherman Brothers|
|Directed by||Murray Lerner|
On October 1, 1982, Magic Journeys premiered as one of the opening-day attractions at the Journey Into Imagination pavilion in Walt Disney World's EPCOT Center. It was directed by Murray Lerner and featured a song composed by Robert and Richard Sherman. A preshow presentation, anchored by another Sherman Brothers song, "Makin' Memories", played before the film during its EPCOT Center run.
Starting on June 16, 1984, it began a two-year run at Disneyland, first on the outdoor Space Stage and then inside the newly constructed Magic Eye Theater in Tomorrowland. In early 1986, the film was removed from Disneyland and EPCOT Center in order to make way for a new 3-D film, Captain EO.
In December 1987, Magic Journeys returned to Walt Disney World at the Fantasyland Theater inside the Magic Kingdom, where it was paired with the 1953 3-D short Working for Peanuts. The film played in this venue for six years until it closed in December 1993 in order to make room for Legend of the Lion King. The Show will Return to the Public to Disneyland's Magic Eye Theater Soon in Near Future If Captain EO Wouldn't Return.
Magic Journeys looked at the world through the eyes of a child. The film started with children running through a meadow and looking at clouds. Someone blew on a dandelion and the seeds then flew away, turning into stars and then turned into the sun. Next the kids were seen flying a kite at the beach. The kite then turned into a bird, a fish, a school of fish, a flock of birds, bird wings, a Pegasus, a horse and then finally into a merry-go-round. While the children rode the carousel, they began reaching for a brass ring spinning next to the carousel; the carousel spins around the moon and bats fly out past the riders. The moon becomes a witch, a mask, an Olmec head, and more until turning into a cat. A boy reaches out to the cat and it turns into the Sphinx, which turns into a lion jumping through a hoop in the circus. Trapeze artists and acrobats fly through the air and several clowns amuse the children.
The film's preshow song, "Makin' Memories" and the film's theme song, "Magic Journeys," can be found on the 1991 CD The Official Album of Disneyland and Walt Disney World. Both songs also appear on the album The Sherman Brothers Songbook.
- Epcot attraction and entertainment history
- Magic Kingdom attraction and entertainment history
- List of 3D films
- List of past Disneyland attractions
- Tokyo Disneyland attraction and entertainment history
- Sherman Brothers
- Strodder, Chris (2008). The Disneyland Encyclopedia. Santa Monica, California: Santa Monica Press LLC. p. 251. ISBN 978-1-59580-033-6.
- Kurtti, Jeff (1996). Since the World Began: Walt Disney World, The First 25 Years. New York, New York: Hyperion. p. 65. ISBN 0-7868-6248-3.
- Beard, Richard R. (1982). Lory Frankel, ed. Walt Disney's EPCOT. New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc. p. 105. ISBN 0-8109-0819-0.
- Magic Journeys at the Epcot Discovery Center (Archive.org link)
- Magic Journeys at the Internet Movie Database