Magic Lantern (firmware)
|Original author(s)||Trammell Hudson|
Magic Lantern is a firmware add-on written for the Canon EOS 5D Mark II by Trammell Hudson in 2009, and ported to the 550D/T2i/Kiss X4 (1.0.8) in July 2010 by the same author. Starting September 2010, A1ex from CHDK forum and other people ported this add-on to the 550D/T2i (1.0.9), 60D, 500D/T1i/Kiss X3, 600D/T3i/Kiss X5 (1.0.1) and 50D; It also runs on the 5D Mk III as well as on the 7D. The firmware is released under the GNU General Public License. Originally developed for DSLR filmmaking, its feature base has expanded to include tools useful for still photography as well.
Current features include:
- Audio controls, on-screen audio meter, audio monitoring via A/V cable
- HDR video, bitrate control, FPS control, auto-restart
- Precise ISO, White Balance, and Shutter Speed controls
- Zebras, false colour, histogram, waveform, spot meter, vectorscope
- Focus peaking, 'magic zoom', trap focus, rack focus, follow focus, motion detection
- Automatic Exposure Bracketing, focus stacking
- Intervalometer, bulb ramping, bulb timer (up to 8 hours)
- Custom cropmarks/on-screen graphics
- On-screen focus and DOF info, CMOS temperature, clock
- Customizable menus
- 14 bit RAW Video on some DSLRs
Planned future features include clean HDMI output, anamorphic preview, and custom curves. Because installing Magic Lantern does not replace the stock Canon firmware or modify the ROM but rather runs alongside it, it is both easy to remove and carries little risk. Canon has not made any official statements regarding the add-on firmware, either on the subject of warranty or on the features. In response to emails Canon has stated that while their warranty doesn't cover damage caused by third party firmware it will cover unrelated issues such as malfunctioning buttons even if third party firmware has been installed. 
- Magic Lantern team finally cracks the Canon EOS 7D
- Unified - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki
- Digital Convergence Episode 3 – Trammell Hudson and Magic Lantern Firmware for the Canon 5D Mark II
- Michael Zöller (2012-12-30). "Magic Lantern - Free Software on Your Camera". Chaos Communication Congress. Retrieved 2014-01-06.
- "RAW-like highlight recovery in Movie Mode". Magic Lantern Firmware Development Google Groups. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- "Unified User Guide – Magic Lantern Firmware". Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- "FAQ – Magic Lantern Firmware WIKI". Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- Cade, DL (May 27, 2013). "Will Custom Firmware Void My Warranty? Canon, Nikon and Panasonic Respond". Petapixel. Retrieved 17 January 2014.