Cover of the first volume of Magico released in Japan on July 4, 2011.
|Genre||Adventure, Comedy, Romance, Fantasy|
|Written by||Naoki Iwamoto|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Jump|
|Original run||February 28, 2011 – July 2, 2012|
Magico (マジコ Majiko?) is a Japanese shonen manga written and illustrated by Naoki Iwamoto. The series follows the story of Shion and Emma to complete the magic ritual "Magico" to seal away the power of Echidna, a dreadful and extremely powerful magic dormant inside Emma's body.
Emma, a country girl, first came to the city to start a new life after having been isolated since early childhood. But for some reason, when she entered the city all the young men and even the king tried to forcibly marry her. And when it seemed that there was no hope left but to marry the king, a dragon comes crashing into the room. To everyone's surprise, a young man named Shion comes out of the dragon's mouth. He "saves" her and they leave. Later on he explains to Emma about her history and how she is the legendary Echidna, a power born every 500 years so devastating that in the wrong hands, could mean the destruction of the world. Shion goes on to tell her that she will be a target to all mages that seek her power. He goes on to speak of a ritual that could change her destiny. This ritual is called Magico, and to complete this ritual they would have to perform and complete many difficult tasks to seal the magic of Echidna away. The first of which is to marry Shion!? What other tasks remain for these two!?
Characters and Magic
- Shion Elphias Levi
- Voiced by: Romi Park (drama CD)
- He is one of the three strongest mages in the Eaglyas, known as the Sages of the West, and knew Emma from when they were both children from when she fed him when he was starving to death. She is the reason he became a mage and he wants nothing more than to protect her. Though he appears strong in the beginning, it is revealed he has low self confidence and does not want anyone to find out about his hidden past. He worked hard to become a mage and has a specific type of magic he likes best. Shion travels around in a dragon which has a house and many other rooms inside of it. He also cares for Emma very deeply, although he doesn't like to admit.
- Magic Broom: Can lift objects and can be freely manipulated like a hand. Each strand can lift up to 200 tons. It will also spread and the individual strands can be used for different purposes. When up against a formidable opponent, it can protect the user by forming itself into a ball that nothing can penetrate. So far only Shion has used this type of magic. To use it, it is needed to complete ritual of defeating 1000 Agiri with a single broom. When not in use, this magic appears as a normal broom in the hands of the user until it is needed which it then grows in size. It is easily burned by flames or fire magic. It can be upgraded by a ritual sacrificing all the users happy memories.
- Fire Magic: Face will be converted into a fire dragon, breathing fire from the mouth.
- 24 House: Creative magic system. House floor plan drawn on paper, can only be summoned for 24 hours. It is not very tough and won't protect from anything that would destroy a normal house.
- Voiced by: Ai Kayano (drama CD)
- The heroine of this series with a natural and pure trusting toward others. As her body houses the Echidna, which has the power to destroy the world, she must often travel around the world in search of different items that can be used for Magico. She was isolated in seclusion from childhood, forced to live under house arrest, however she does not know why. Emma's life is constantly threatened by those who seek to kill her and claim the power of Echidna for themselves. In cooperation with Shion, they plan to seal Echidna and prevent it from awakening while also saving her life. She has grown strong feelings for Shion, but she tries to hide this fact, although she isn't very good at it.
- An orphan who resided in the outlands before meeting Shion and Emma. Her town, which had always distrusted her, used her as a sacrifice thinking it would change their luck. She survived the fall and had been living alone in the wilderness until she met Shion and Emma. She uses the powerful magic named Palm Exchange Magic. Because of the strength of this magic, Luu can also grow in age, but she cannot do it for very long and becomes weak for a long time afterwards. She becomes adopted by Shion and Emma after aiding them in one of their rituals and becomes the little sister of Anise. She is usually warm-hearted but can be very aggressive towards those who threaten her new family.
- Palm Exchange Magic: To obtain this magic ability, one has to continuing to hit a rock a million times. It allows the user to change the appearance of ones fist depending on how many attack combos can be strung together. After the 100th combo, the attack is strong enough to revitalize the spirit body, and an 18-year-old Luu would form temporarily.
- A speaking female black cat wearing a red collar with bells hanging off. She has a wealth of knowledge, often to the description of a number of different magic and rituals. She is also a supporter to Shion and approves of his relationship with Emma, however, she often teases him about how he is not entirely open with his feelings, which often annoys him. However, she also has calm and loving personality, and she is known for never asking irrelevant questions.
- A green dragon which Shion uses for transportation. He is depicted as wearing sunglasses. Shion found and raised him from an egg. Shion, Emma, and Luu use his body as a residence and main source of transportation. He appears to have an unlimited amount of rooms inside of him, and he gains no damage from anything destroyed inside of him. Sieg is also a holy dragon, and if somebody enters his body he can nullify any curses.
The manga series Magico was written and illustrated by Naoki Iwamoto. Magico was serialized in the Japanese magazine Weekly Shōnen Jump, and has been published by Shueisha since February 2011. As of October 4, 2012, Shueisha has compiled the complete series in eight bound volumes.
|1||July 4, 2011||ISBN 978-4-08-870262-9|
|2||September 2, 2011||ISBN 978-4-08-870290-2|
|3||December 2, 2011||ISBN 978-4-08-870308-4|
|4||February 3, 2012||ISBN 978-4-08-870377-0|
|5||April 4, 2012||ISBN 978-4-08-870406-7|
|6||June 4, 2012||ISBN 978-4-08-870432-6|
|7||August 3, 2012||ISBN 978-4-08-870481-4|
|8||October 4, 2012||ISBN 978-4-08-870520-0|
- "Magico Manga Ends Run in Weekly Shonen Jump". Anime News Network. June 29, 2012. Retrieved June 29, 2012.
- "magico／8 at Shueisha.co.jp" (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- "magico／1 at Shueisha.co.jp" (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- "magico／2 at Shueisha.co.jp" (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- "magico／3 at Shueisha.co.jp" (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- "magico／4 at Shueisha.co.jp" (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- "magico／5 at Shueisha.co.jp" (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- "magico／6 at Shueisha.co.jp" (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- "magico／7 at Shueisha.co.jp" (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved 2013-09-06.