|Also known as||Magne F|
1 November 1962 |
|Genres||Synthpop, new wave, alternative rock, indie rock|
|Occupations||Musician, artist, singer, songwriter & painter|
|Instruments||Guitar, vocals, keyboard, harmonica, piano, bass guitar, percussion|
Magne Furuholmen (Norwegian pronunciation: [mɑŋnə fʉ:ɾʉhɔlmən]) (born 1 November 1962 in Oslo, Norway) is a Norwegian musician and visual arts artist. He is best known as the keyboardist of the pop band A-ha.
Life and career
Furuholmen is the son of jazz trumpeter Kåre Furuholmen (1940-67) and Anne-Lise Furuholmen (b. 1940). He was raised in Manglerud, Oslo (along with A-ha colleague and co-writer Paul Waaktaar-Savoy). He has one sister, Line, and two half brothers, Thorstein and Trygve Christian. His father, a jazz musician who played trumpet with Bent Sølves Orkester, was killed in an aeroplane crash over Drammen, south of Oslo in 1967, when Magne was just five. Remarkably, this very accident was witnessed by a nine year old Morten Harket, thirteen years before the two were to meet for the first time.
Furuholmen married Heidi Rydjord, his high school sweetheart, on 8 August 1992, in the garden of their Nesøya home. They have two sons, Thomas Vincent (born 20 April 1990) and Filip Clemens (born 2 October 1993).
Furuholmen has also revealed in an interview published by Norway's third largest newspaper Dagbladet (in its additional magazine Magasinet) that he is suffering from a heart disease. The news was picked up the same day by Side-Line music magazine.
Along with fellow band member Morten Harket, Furuholmen is a supporter of English premier League football club Stoke City.
Solo projects and collaborations
Furuholmen's projects outside of A-ha include Timbersound, formed in 1994 with Kjetil Bjerkestrand, and later, Swedish singer, Freddie Wadling. Their work has been used on film soundtracks such as Ti Kniver I Hjertet (1994), "Hotel Oslo" (1997) which also featured vocals by Anneli Drecker, 1732 Høtten (1998) where the album Hermetic is featured.
In 2008 Furuholmen collaborated with Coldplay bassist Guy Berryman and Mew vocalist Jonas Bjerre under the band name of Apparatjik for the theme to the BBC Two series, Amazon. The theme was made available (along with exclusive tracks from various other artists) on the Survival International charity album, Songs for Survival.
Magne announced on Jo Wiley’s show on BBC Radio 2 in October 2010 that he intends to work with his friends in MEW and Coldplay after retiring from A-ha in December.
In 2012 Magne Furuholmen was a mentor on the show The Voice – Norges beste stemme. His talent Martin Halla won the contest and had his first album produced by Furuholmen himself who is also an estimated songwriter/producer for other artists.
Furuholmen has been the keyboardist with A-ha since their formation in 1982, though he also plays guitar. He has co-written many of the band's hits with Paul Waaktaar-Savoy, including "Stay On These Roads", "Manhattan Skyline", and the band's first and biggest hit "Take on Me". When A-ha went on hiatus in 1994, Furuholmen began working on other music projects. The band reconvened in 2000, though announced they would split in 2010.
In 2012 the three members of a-ha, Morten Harket, Magne Furuholmen and Paul Waaktaar Savoy, were appointed Knights of the 1st Class of the Royal Norwegian Order of St. Olav for their contribution to Norwegian music. The Royal Norwegian Order of St. Olav is granted as a reward for distinguished services to their country and mankind. The official ceremony took place on 6 November 2012.
Magne Furuholmen is also a well known visual arts artist working with glass, paint, etching and woodcut and has exhibited his works all around the world. His art has been displayed at The Henie Onstad Kunstsenter in Oslo, and he has also shown his work at The London Art Fair. In 2001, Furuholmen was commissioned to design an official Norwegian postage stamp. In 2005 he decorated the 11 floors of the Royal Caribbean International cruiseship Adventure of the Seas with sheets of glass of his work.
Main solo exhibitions
- 1989 Maleri
- 1995 Kutt / Cuts
- 1997 In Concert
- 1996, 1998 Y Project
- 1998 Credit
- 1999 New Works
- 2001 Pincette
- 2003 Foci
- 2004 Payne's Gray
- 2004 Stjerneskutt
- 2006 Building Ruins
- 2006 Morceaux Choisis
- 2007 Monologues
- 2007 Scrabble
- 2007 Anticlimax
- 2007 Climax
- 2009 Camera
- 2009 Alpha Beta
- 2011 Echo
- 2011 Futura Plus
- 2012 Bouquet
- 2013 Norwegian Wood
- 2007 Climax The Nobel Peace Center, Oslo, Norway
- 2009 Climax Sculpture Hydro, Norway
- 2009 Confusion, Bølgen & Moi (with Snøhetta), Oslo, Norway
- 2010 Umsteiger, commission, Berlin, Germany
- 2012 Bouquet Wall Painting, Asker, Norway
- 2012 Code One, commission, Aglaia
- 2012-2013 Aker Solutions, Fornebu, Norway
Works on permanent display
- 2003 Resonance, Bergen, Norway
- 2012 Rudolph the chrome-nosed reindeer, Tjuvholmen, Oslo, Norway (with Apparatjik)
- 2013 The Sound Of Silence, Tjuvholmen, Oslo, Norway (with Apparatjik)
- 1980 Fakkeltog (Bridges)
- 1985 Hunting High and Low (A-ha)
- 1986 Scoundrel Days (A-ha)
- 1987 The Living Daylights - 007 James Bond Soundtrack (A-ha)
- 1988 Stay On These Roads (A-ha)
- 1990 East of the Sun, West of the Moon (A-ha)
- 1991 Headlines & Deadlines (A-ha)
- 1993 Memorial Beach (A-ha)
- 1994 Hope To Die / Ti kniver i hjertet (Timbersound)
- 1996 Hotel Oslo (Timbersound)
- 1996 Archivalia Vol. 1 (producer)
- 1998 Hermetic (Timbersound)
- 2001 Minor Earth Major Sky (A-ha)
- 2001 Dragonfly, EP
- 2002 Lifelines (A-ha)
- 2004 Past Perfect Future Tense (Magne F)
- 2005 Analogue (A-ha)
- 2005 Indian Ocean, Yusuf Islam, single (performer)
- 2007 The longest night in Shanghai - (Umi No Shanghai) soundtrack (writer/performer on Bass Theme, writer of Guy Romance Theme)
- 2008 A Dot of Black in the Blue of Your Bliss (Magne F)
- 2008 Thor Heyerdahl – På jakt etter paradiset soundtrack (writer)
- 2008 Ferreting, song (Apparatjik)
- 2009 Foot of the Mountain (A-ha)
- 2010 The Bolshevik Box (Apparatjik)
- 2010 We Are Here (Apparatjik)
- 2010 Word Symphony (Limited Edition) (Magne F)
- 2010 a-ha 25 (A-ha)
- 2012 Square Peg In A Round Hole (Apparatjik)
- 2012 If You Can, Solve This Jumble, Lowell, album (writer and producer)
- 2013 Winter Days, Martin Halla, album (writer and producer)
- 2013 Breathe, Backstreet Boys, single (writer)
- 2013 Majors & Minors, Marius Beck (producer)
- 1995 Kutt / Cuts, Henie Onstad Art Center
- 1997Blue Note Boulevards, Grøndahl Dreyer,
- 2002 Lerkrukker & Glasmosaik, Liebeskind, Denmark
- 2004 Foci, Lillehammer Art Museum
- 2004 Stjerneskudt, Nansensgades Antikvariat
- 2004 Stjerneskutt, Press Forlag
- 2004 Payne’s Gray, Hatje Cantz Verlag
- 2004 Art In The Statoil Collection
- 2005 Norwegian Artist Yearbook
- 2005 Paul Stolper Editions
- 2006 Gap Hanoi, OCA
- 2007 Monologues
- 2009 This Is The Way We See It, Erich Weiss
- 2010 Alphabets - A miscellany of letters, black dog publishing UK, ISBN 978-1-907317-09-5
- Landscape and Room, a selection from H.M. Queen Sonja's art collection ISBN 978-82-8294-001-6
- 2011 Electric - Some Magazine ISBN ISBN 978-3-86019-083-8
- 2012 Illustration in Norwegian Books
- 2012 Music, Some magazine ISBN 978-3-86019-092-0
- 2012 I wish this was a Song, Museet for Samtidskunst, ISBN 978-82-8154-068-2
- 2013 In Transit (Monograph), 2013 Press Publishing, ISBN 978-82-7547-413-9
- "Magne Furuholmen Biography". Store Norske Leksikon. Kunnskapsforlaget. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- "Magne Furuholmen Biography". LeninImports.com. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- Danielsen, Guro (2009-06-19). "Multi-Magne: Magne Furuholmen (46) hviler aldri, han bare finner på noe nytt. Ellers kan det gå skikkelig galt" (in Norwegian). Dagbladet. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- Vogt, Henrik (2008-05-13). "De døde foreldres klubb" (in Norwegian). Aftenposten. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- "A-ha member Magne Furuholmen struck with heart disease - The real reason behind the end of A-ha?". Side-Line.com. 2010-07-24. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- "Coldplay and A-ha team up". Teletext. Retrieved 2008-08-22.
- Whiley, Jo (2010-10-21). "a-ha in concert". BBC. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- "A-HA RECEIVES PRESTIGIOUS AWARD". MusicExportNorway.no. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- "Utnevnelse til St. Olavs Orden" (in Norwegian). Kongehuset.no. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- "A-HA TILDELES ST. OLAVS ORDEN" (in Norwegian). MusicExportNorway.no. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- Gjestad, Robert Hoftun (2012-11-06). "Morten Harket: Jeg føler meg stolt, men kanskje mest forlegen" (in Norwegian). Aftenposten. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- Steen, Thea (2012-11-06). "Nå er de riddere av 1. klasse - a-Ha hyllet med St. Olavs Orden" (in Norwegian). Dagbladet. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- "a-ha fikk St. Olavs Orden: - Jeg er mer forlegen enn stolt" (in Norwegian). Verdens Gang. 2012-11-06. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- "Kommentar: Ridderlige a-ha" (in Norwegian). Verdens Gang. 2012-11-06. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- Ratvik, Elise Hellem (2012-11-06). "Kongens orden til kongene av pop" (in Norwegian). NRK. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- Official A-ha website
- Magne F Archive fan site
- Magne Furuholmen on Myspace
- Stolper + Friends Gallery, Oslo
- Paul Stolper Gallery, London
- Official Apparatjik website
- Apparatjik on Myspace