|Industry||Independent Motion pictures|
|Headquarters||New York, New York, USA|
|Owner(s)||Todd Wagner & Mark Cuban|
|Subsidiaries||Magnolia Home Entertainment
Magnet Releasing (Genre films)
Magnolia Pictures is an American film distributor, and is a holding of 2929 Entertainment, owned by Todd Wagner and Mark Cuban. Magnolia was formed in 2001 by Bill Banowsky and Eamonn Bowles, and specializes in both foreign and independent films.
Films distributed by Magnolia typically appear on the cable television channel HDNet Movies (also owned by Cuban) during their first week of release.
Magnolia also has a genre films label named Magnet Releasing, which mainly distributes foreign action films.
In April 2011, Cuban placed Magnolia up for sale, but stated that he wouldn't sell the company unless the offer was "very, very compelling."
In March 2009, Magnolia Pictures released the movie adaption of Let the Right One In on DVD and Blu-ray. The American discs feature both the original Swedish dialogue and an English dubbed version, while the European versions feature only the Swedish, and an audio-descriptive track in English. The website Icons of Fright reported that the American release had been criticized for using new, oversimplified English subtitles instead of the original theatrical subtitles. This unattributed translation contained many errors and over-simpifications, with many fans calling the release unwatchable.
Following customer complaints, Magnolia stated that they would release an updated version with the original theatrical subtitles, but will not exchange current discs. As of November 2009, the DVD version containing the theatrical subtitles can now be found, however, a Blu-ray version has yet to be released. Director Tomas Alfredson also expressed his dissatisfaction with the DVD subtitles, calling it a "turkey translation". "If you look on the 'net, people are furious about how bad it is done", he added. The UK release retains the theatrical subtitles.
- Carlisle, Candace (April 20, 2011). "Cuban lists Landmark and Magnolia for sale". Dallas Business Journal. Retrieved on April 20, 2011.
- "Let The Wrong Subtitles In To LET THE RIGHT ONE IN?!". Icons of Fright. Retrieved October 4, 2013.
- Walters, C. (March 25, 2009). "US Distributor Of 'Let The Right One In' Says They'll Fix Subtitles, But No Exchanges". The Consumerist.
- Triches, Robert (April 8, 2009). "Det är helt sinnessjukt". Aftonbladet (in Swedish). Retrieved May 15, 2009.
- Retrieved September 12, 2007
- Magnolia Pictures: Yonkers Joe press notes
- magpictures.com Play Dates
- "Mr. Nobody (Official Movie Site) - Starring Jared Leto, Sarah Polley, Diane Kruger, Linh-Dan Pham, Rhys Ifans, Natasha Little, Toby Regbo and Juno Temple - Now on Demand and In Theatres November 1st - Trailer, Pictures & More". Magpictures.com. Retrieved 2013-10-25.