Magnum Research BFR
BFR in .45/70 Govt with custom grips
|Place of origin||United States|
|Unit cost||US$930 |
|Weight||3.6lb - 5.3lb (1633g - 2404g)|
|Length||11.75inches - 17.5inches (298.45mm - 444.5mm)|
|Barrel length||5.5inches (139.7mm) and 6.5inches (165mm) (Short cylinder only), 7.5inches (191mm), or 10inches (254mm)|
|Cartridge||Various see Available Cartridges|
|Action||Single action revolver|
|Feed system||5-round cylinder|
The Magnum Research BFR is a single-action revolver manufactured by Magnum Research. It is made from stainless steel and is manufactured in a variety of heavy calibers, such as .500 S&W Magnum, including some traditional rifle cartridges, such as the .30-30 and .45-70/.450 Marlin. The name "BFR" officially is an acronym for "Big Frame Revolver" or "Biggest, Finest Revolver". However, collectors and large-caliber enthusiasts have been known to interpret the initialism as "Big Fucking Revolver", due to its size and power.
The BFR comes in two basic models, one with a long cylinder for larger rifle cartridges, and one with a more traditional revolver cylinder length (called "short" by Magnum Research). Note that some models that use identical bores such as the .45/70 and .450 Marlin can be made with two cylinders for the same gun.
Magnum Research makes these guns in custom calibers and discourages the use of most rimless cartridges in their revolvers due to mechanical issues. The BFR can be customized for the .50 Beowulf cartridge. These revolvers were originally made by DMAX in Springfield SD until Magnum Research bought them out.
- .30-30 Winchester
- .38-55 Winchester (Precision Center Caliber)
- .375 Winchester (Precision Center Caliber)
- .444 Marlin
- .45 Colt/.410 (Not available in California due to legal restrictions)
- .45-70 Government
- .45-90 Winchester (Precision Center Caliber)
- .450 Marlin
- .460 S&W Magnum
- .500 S&W Magnum
- .50 Beowulf (Precision Center Caliber)
- .50 JRH (Precision Center Caliber)
- .22 Hornet
- .218 Bee (Precision Center Caliber)
- .44 Remington Magnum (Precision Center Caliber)
- .45 ACP (Precision Center Caliber)
- .45 Winchester Magnum (Precision Center Caliber)
- .454 Casull
- .480 Ruger/.475 Linebaugh
- .50 GI (Precision Center Caliber)
- .50 Action Express
- .500 JRH (Precision Center Caliber)
- BFR data at Magnum Research web site
- Bodinson, Holt (1999). "Extreme Revolvers". Guns Magazine (3).
- Taffin, John (2004). "How Do You Spell Accurate?". American Handgunner Magazine 30 (3).
- Quinn, Jeff (12 March 2004). "BFR .50 Beowulf Revolver". Gunblast. Retrieved 2009-09-08.