Paul Robert Magocsi
Paul Robert Magocsi (born January 26, 1945, Englewood, New Jersey, USA) is an American professor of history, political science, and Chair of Ukrainian Studies at the University of Toronto. He has been with the University since 1980, and became a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 1996. He currently acts as Honorary Chairman of the World Congress of Rusyns, and has authored many books on Rusyn history.
Born in Englewood, New Jersey, Magocsi is of Hungarian and Ruthenian (Rusyn) descent. He completed his undergraduate studies at Rutgers University B.A. in 1966, M.A. 1967, Princeton University in M.A. 1969, Ph.D. 1972. He then went to Harvard University, where he was a member of the Society of Fellows between 1973 and 1976. In 2013 he was awarded by doctor honoris cause at University of Presov, Slovakia.
Magocsi has taught at Harvard University and the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. In 1996 he was appointed permanent fellow of the Royal Society of Canada - Canadian Academies of Arts, Humanities and Sciences.
Selected books and publications
Among his over 675 publications are 30 books including:
- (1978) The Shaping of a National Identity: Subcarpathian Rus’, 1848–1948, Harvard University Press. ISBN 0-674-80579-8
- (1983) Galicia: A Historical Survey and Bibliographic Guide (Toronto: University of Toronto Press).
- (1993, 2003) Historic Atlas of east Central/Central Europe (University of Washington Press)
- (1993, 2002) Magocsi, Paul Robert (1993, 2002). Historical Atlas of Central Europe. A History of East Central Europe 1 (revised and expanded ed.). Seattle: University of Washington Press. ISBN 0-295-98146-6. OCLC 47097699.
- (1996) A History of Ukraine (Toronto: University of Toronto Press) ISBN 0-8020-0830-5
- (1999) Of the Making of Nationalities There is no End (2 vols) (Columbia University Press)
- (1999) Encyclopedia of Canada's Peoples, 1999, University of Toronto Press. ISBN 0-8020-2938-8
- (2002) "The Roots of Ukrainian Nationalism: Galicia As Ukraine's Piedmont", University of Toronto Press, 2002, ISBN 0-8020-4738-6
- (2002) I. I. Pop, Paul Robert Magocsi, Encyclopedia of Rusyn History and Culture, University of Toronto Press, 2002, ISBN 0-8020-3566-3
- "Dr. Paul Robert Magocsi". Carpatho-Rusyn Knowledge Base.
- Magocsi, Paul R., Pop, Ivan Ivanovich. Encyclopedia of Rusyn History and Culture, p. 313. University of Toronto Press, 2002. ISBN 0-8020-3566-3
|This biography of a Canadian academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|