Map of Ilocos Sur showing the location of Magsingal
|Region||Ilocos (Region I)|
|• Mayor||Alrico Apostol Favis|
|• Total||84.98 km2 (32.81 sq mi)|
|• Density||330/km2 (860/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Income class||3rd class|
- Pagsanaan Norte
- Pagsanaan Sur
- Panay Norte
- Panay Sur
- Puro (Puro Pinget)
- San Basilio (Pob.)
- San Clemente (Pob.)
- San Julian (Pob.)
- San Lucas (Pob.)
- San Ramon (Pob.)
- San Vicente (Pob.)
- Santa Monica
The name of the municipality came from the term "Mayisingal," an Ilocano term which means "to be moved." It was applied when the belltower was moved from a previous location to its current site.
Captain Juan de Salcedo had a hand in founding the municipality. But before he reached the current site of the poblacion, he came to a village called Malongon, about one-half kilometer to the south. The leader of the village refused Salcedo's request to establish a municipality there, but suggested that he establish the town a half kilometer north of the village, and the belltower be moved to that site, hence the origin of the town's name.
Itnegs were the original inhabitants of the place when Salcedo arrived. He worked for the conversion of the people to Christianity, but not all accepted the new faith. Those who refused conversion fled the town and settled east of Bantay Bul-lagaw (Bul-lagaw Mountain).
|Population census of Magsingal|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
Major Schools in Magsingal
- Saint William's Institute - a privately funded educational institution run by the Sisters of Saint Paul of Chartres
- The Magsingal Institute - a private highschool
- Magsingal National High School- a public highschool
- Manzante National Highschool - a public high school
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 11 September 2013. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- "Province: ILOCOS SUR". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- "Province of Ilocos Sur". Municipality Population Data. LWUA Research Division. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
|South China Sea||Langiden, Abra|