|District of Uttar Pradesh|
Location of Maharajganj district in Uttar Pradesh
|Headquarters||Mahrajganj, Uttar Pradesh|
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||Maharajganj|
|• Total||2,934.1 km2 (1,132.9 sq mi)|
|• Density||910/km2 (2,400/sq mi)|
|• Literacy||64.3 per cent|
|• Sex ratio||938|
District Magistrate : Soumya Agarwal
Ths district is bounded by Nepal on the North, Kushinagar district on the east, Gorakhpur district on the south and Siddharthnagar and Sant Kabir Nagar districts in the west. This district is part of Gorakhpur Division. The district covers an area of 2,951 km². The district has a population of 2,173,878 (2001 Census).
This district was carved out from the erstwhile Gorakhpur district on 2 October 1989.
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named Maharajganj one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the 34 districts in Uttar Pradesh currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
Maharajganj district comprises 4 tehsils:
- Maharajganj Sadar,
- Nichlaul and
Maharajganj Sadar tehsil has 4 community development blocks: Maharajganj, Ghughali, Paniara and Partawal. Nautanwa tehsil consists 2 community development blocks: Ratanpur and Laxmipur. Nichlaul tehsil has 3 community development blocks: Nichlaul, Mithaura and Siswa. Pherada tehsil also has 3 community development blocks: Bridgmanganj, Dhani and Pheranda. The number of villages in this district is 1258.There are 14 (fourteen) Police Station (P.S.) in Maharajganj district. These are given below 1. Pharenda 2. Nautanwa 3. Purandarpur 4. Kothibhar 5. Thuthibari Kotwali 6. Kolhui 7. Brijmanganj 8. Shyamdeurawa 9. Parsamalik 10. Bargadawa 11. Paniyara 12. Chauk 13. Sonauli Kotwali 14. Ghughuli
According to the 2011 census Maharajganj district has a population of 2,665,292, roughly equal to the nation of Kuwait or the US state of Nevada. This gives it a ranking of 151st in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 903 inhabitants per square kilometre (2,340/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001–2011 was 22.61%. Maharajganj has a sex ratio of 938 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 64.3%.
Famous people of area
- Late Dr. Shiva Kant Mishra (Gold medalist and President awardee in shastra, sanskrit)
- Dr. D.K. Pandey (Famous Doctor in Local)
- Dr. Rajanish Kumar Pandey (Famous Dentist)
- Dr. A.K. Seth (Famous Doctor)
- Dr. K.S. Mishra (Famous Doctor)
- Dr. Pawan Kuamr Rungata (Famous Doctor)
- Shri Suresh Kumar Rungta (Udyog Vyapar Mandal, Former Chairman of Nagar Panchayat, Director Anglo Sanskrit Inter College)
- Shri Satish Kumar Rungta (Leading Business Man)
- Shri Ravi Pratap Singh (Chairman L.D.B Land Development Bank Maharajganj)
- Shri Gorakh Nath Pandey (Famous Astrologer)
- Shri Anurag Kamal (ISRO Scientist)
- "Uttar Pradesh". india,gov,in website. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (8 September 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme". National Institute of Rural Development. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
||Western Development Region, Nepal||Pashchim Champaran district, Bihar|
|Gorakhpur district||Kushinagar district|