|Also called||Maharashtra Diwas|
|Observed by||Maharastra, India|
|Significance||The day the state of Maharashtra was formed by the Bombay Reorganisation Act, 1960|
|Next time||1 May 2015|
Maharashtra Day, commonly known as Maharashtra Diwas in Marathi is a state holiday in Maharashtra, India commemorating the formation of the state of Maharashtra from the division of the Bombay State on 1 May 1960. Maharashtra Day is commonly associated with parades and political speeches and ceremonies, in addition to various other public and private events celebrating the history and traditions of Maharashtra.
The States Reorganisation Act, 1956 defined boundaries for the states within India on the basis of languages. The Bombay State that was formed as a consequence of this act, however, was composed of different areas where different languages were spoken; Marathi, Gujarati, Kutchi and Konkani. The Sanyukta Maharashtra Samiti was at the forefront of the movement to divide the Bombay State into two states; one composed of areas where people primarily spoke Gujarati and Kutchhi and the other where people primarily spoke Marathi and Konkani.
The state of Maharashtra and Gujarat were formed as a result of this movement according to the Bombay Reorganisation Act, 1960 enacted by the Parliament of India on 25 April 1960. The act came into effect on 1 May 1960.
Liquor sales are prohibited on this day across Maharashtra.
Unique or historical celebrations
- "THE STATES REORGANISATION ACT, 1956". Government of India. Retrieved December 6, 2012.
- Guha, Ramachandra (2008). India After Gandhi: The History of the World's Largest Democracy. Harper Perennial. p. 320.
- Kaminsky, Arnold P.; Long, Roger D. (23 September 2011). India Today: An Encyclopedia of Life in the Republic. ABC-CLIO. p. 440. ISBN 978-0-313-37462-3. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- "THE BOMBAY RE-ORGANISATION ACT, 1960 No.11 OF 1960". Government of India. Retrieved December 6, 2012.
- "Public Holiday - 2013". Government of Maharashtra. Government of Maharashtra. Retrieved December 6, 2012.
- "List of dry days to be followed by retail licensee every year". Commissionarate of State Excise, Maharashtra State. Government of Maharashtra. Retrieved December 6, 2012.
- "Maharashtra's golden jubilee grand finale on Monday". The Times of India. Retrieved December 6, 2012.
- "Maharashtra: Political parties gear up for a grand golden jubilee day". rediff.com. Retrieved December 6, 2012.