Maharashtra University of Health Sciences
||This article's introduction may be too long for the overall article length. (December 2011)|
|Maharashtra University of Health Sciences|
|Established||3 June 1998|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. Arun Jamkar|
|Registrar||Dr. A. N. Suryakar|
|Location||Nashik, Maharashtra, India|
Maharashtra University of Health Sciences (MUHS) is located in Nashik District, Maharashtra, India. The university was established on 3 June 1998 by the state Government of Maharashtra through an ordinance.
The State Legislature passed Maharashtra University of Health Sciences Act 1999 (Act No X) and received the assent of the Governor, in the Maharashtra Government Gazette on 21 January 1999. The University was declared open by the Governor of Maharashtra on June 10, 1998 and all colleges and institutions imparting education in health science in the state of Maharashtra have been affiliated to this new university under Section 6(3) of the Act.
The University has been established for the purpose of ensuring proper and systematic instruction, teaching, training and research in modern medicine and Indian Systems of Medicine in the State of Maharashtra. Within 3yrs of formation a committee was formed in year 2000 by the Government Of Maharashtra to review the progress of the Maharashtra University of Health Sciences and to recommend measures for modifying its functions and responsibilities in the light of the new challenges faced by the university.
The committee, headed by cardiologist B K Goyal, had been appointed to review the university's performance and had been asked to submit a report within three months. The committee included Dr Snehlata Deshmukh, vice-chancellor of the University of Mumbai, N C Chawla, vice-chancellor of the University of Punjab, Sharad Hardikar from Pune University and former medical education secretary Kiran Baroi. The Committee had recommended that the MUHS be closed down or be entrusted only with research and non-academic activities. The Committee recommendation was never implemented and the MUHS continued to function, and it has moved from its rented premises to its own premises in 2005. The MUHS was allowed to conduct only Graduate courses in allopathy and Indian systems of medicine including Homoeopathy in the beginning. The task of conducting Post-Graduate courses was still with the various local university as prior to the establishment of MUHS. But later from the year 2006 all PG courses were also assigned to MUHS.
MUHS offers undergraduate and postgraduate studies including Ph.D. in all the branches of Health sciences. Undergraduate programmes of five and a half years, such as, Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)Bachelor of Ayurveda, Medicine and Surgery (BAMS), Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery (BHMS) and Bachelor of Unani Medicine & Surgery (BUMS)are conducted by MUHS. Various dental and nursing degrees are also offered.
Postgraduate courses awarded are also versatile including Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) in various areas, Master of Surgery (M.S.), as well as various Master of Science (M.Sc.) courses and other PG diplomas.
Affiliated medical colleges
- Grant Medical College, Mumbai
- Seth Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College, Mumbai
- Topiwala National Medical College, Mumbai
- Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College, Sion, Mumbai
- K J Somaiya medical college, Chunabhatti, Sion, Mumbai
- Terna Medical College, Navi Mumbai.
- Rajiv Gandhi Medical College, Kalwa, Thane
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
- B J Medical College, Pune
- MIMER Medical College, Talegaon Dabhade
- Govt. Medical College, Miraj, Sangli
- Dr. V. M. Govt. Medical College, Solapur
- RCSM Govt. Medical College, Kolhapur
- Smt. Kashibai Navale Medical College, Pune
- NDMVP’s Medical College, Nashik
- S B H Govt. Medical College, Dhule
- A.C.P.M. Medical College, Dhule
- PDVVP’s Medical College, A’nagar
- Government Medical College, Aurangabad
- Government Medical College, Nanded
- Swami Ramanand Teerth Rural Medical College, Ambejogai, Beed
- M I M S R Medical College, Latur
- Government Medical College, Latur
- Government Medical college, Nagpur
- Indira Gandhi Medical College, Nagpur
- N K P Salve Institute of Medical College, Nagpur
- Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Sevagram, Wardha
- Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Memorial Medical College, Amravati
- Shri Vasantrao Naik Government Medical College, Yavatmal
- Government Medical College, Akola
- Dr. Ulhas Patil Medical College, Jalgaon
Affiliated dental colleges are:
- Government-run colleges:-
- Government Dental College and Hospital & St. George Hospital, Mumbai.
- Givernment Dental College and Hospital, Nagpur
- Nair Hospital & Dental College, Mumbai
- Government Dental College & Hospital, Aurangabad.
- Private Dental Colleges:
- Swargiya Dadasaheb Kalmegh Smruti Dental College & Hospital, Nagpur
- V.S.P.M Dental College, Nagpur
- Terna Dental College, Navi Mumbai
- Yerala Dental College, Khargar
- Padmashree Dr D.Y. Patil Dental College, Pimpri
- Annasaheb Chudaman Patil Memorial Dental College, Dhule
- Guardian college of Dental Sciences, Thane
- Mahatma Gandhi Missions' Dental College, Navi Mumbai
- Sinhagad Dental College & Hospital
- Vidarbha Youth Welfare Societys Dental College Hospital, Amravati
- Yogita Dental College & Hospital, Khed, District Ratnagiri.
- Saraswati Dhanwantari Dental College