|Birth name||Mahathi. S|
|Also known as||Mahathi, Mahathy|
|Born||February 10, 1985|
|Genres||Carnatic, Film Music|
Mahathi (Tamil: மஹதி) is an award-winning Indian classical and playback singer singing predominantly in Tamil. An 'A Grade' artiste (Carnatic Classical Vocal) of All India Radio, Mahathi is a much sought after vocalist of the younger generation.
- 1 Career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Discography
- 4 Tours and performances
- 5 Awards and accolades
- 6 References
As carnatic vocalist
Mahathi started identifying Carnatic Ragas at the age of 1 ½ years. This talent was identified by her parents during her father’s concert at a temple in Palakkad. Her parents nurtured her talent by teaching her more and more Ragas. When she was 2 ½ years old she was able to identify about 75 Carnatic Ragas. Just to test her talents, her father mixed up Carnatic Swaras but Mahathi did not fail to identify the exact Swaras of the Ragas.
When she was 3 years old she came to Chennai with her mother for the December Music season (1988). At the Concert of Mandolin U. Srinivas at the Mylapore Fine Arts, on December 25, Mahathi, sitting on her mother’s lap kept identifying the Ragas played by the musicians on stage. The Secretary of the Sabha, who was sitting next to her mother arranged for a live demonstration of the child’s talents, soon after the main item of the concert. Mahathi, without the slightest hesitation, identified all the Ragas and enthralled the audience. This incident appeared in all the leading newspapers at that time.
Mahathi underwent her initial musical training from her parents and from Deepa and Gayatri of Trivandrum. When Mahathi’s family moved to Trichur, she was put under the guidance of Sri. Mangad K. Natesan. Mahathi underwent advanced musical training under the tutelage of Sri O S Thiagarajan, Padmabhushan Chevalier Dr.M. Balamuralikrishna and Padmabhushan T. N. Seshagopalan.
She has been awarded the scholarship for Classical Music from the Central Government of India in the year 1994. At Trichur she began recording various Devotional Cassettes.
Mahathi has been giving Carnatic concerts since the age of 10, all over the country and abroad. She has been performing in Various Sabhas during the December Music Festival. In 2003, she had the blessing of performing before her guru T. N. S., on December 25 at the Parthasarathy Swamy Sabha, Chennai.
As playback singer
Mahathi began her playback singing career with Maestro Illayaraja. She recorded a solo “Enna Maranthalum” in his music direction in the movie Kaadhal Jaathi. Unfortunately, this movie did not see the light of day.
Apart from film songs, Mahathi has sung many advertisement jingles, most popular being Pothys, Aachi Masala. She has also sung title songs for various serials in Vijay TV and Jaya TV.
In 2008, Mahathi won the Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Female Playback Singer for the song "Naeraa Varattuma" from the movie "Nenjathai Killadhe".
Mahathi has sung more than 700 songs in various languages like Tamil, Kannada, Telugu, Malayalam and Punjabi.
She has been working with leading music directors like Ilaiyaraaja, A. R. Rahman, Harris Jayaraj, Yuvan Shankar Raja, Karthik Raja, D. Imman, Bharadwaj, S. Thaman, Vijay Ebenezer, Joshua Sridhar and many others.
Mahathi presented the music based quiz program, "Aaha Paadalam" on Doordarshan Podhigai TV with Raaghav. She is one of judges in Airtel Super Singer Junior, a reality show hosted by STAR Vijay, a popular Tamil channel of the Star Network. In October 2005 she presented Ilaiyaraja's Live-in Concert organised by Jaya TV, "Andrum Indrum Endrum" with actor Parthiban.
In the judging panel
Apart from hosting shows, Mahathi has been judging contestants for various reality shows. Notable is the Airtel Super Singer series on STAR Vijay for the past four years. She has also been a special judge in Raj TV's Tanishq's Swarna Sangeetham, a reality show based on Carnatic Music and Voice of Tamil Nadu. She is also one of the permanent judges in Kairali TV's Gandharva Sangeetham Juniors(2013), a music reality show with music director Ouspechan and director Rajasenan.
Hailing from a musical family, Mahathi's maternal great grandfather was Sangeetha Kalanidhi Pazhamaneri Swaminatha Iyer, a famous vocalist. Mahathi's father Thiruvaiyaru Sekar,a vocalist, is a disciple of Dr. M. Balamuralikrishna and her mother, Vasanthi Sekar,a flautist, is a disciple of Smt. N. Kesi. Mahathi did her schooling Hari Sri Vidya Nidhi, Trichur and Sacred Heart Convent, Cochin. She graduated in Chennai from Meenakshi College, Kodambakkam with English literature as her main stream. She got married on March 16, 2008 to Dr. K. Sreekumar, an Oral and Maxillo Facial Surgeon and a dental surgeon, a private practitioner and a faculty, Meenakshi Ammal Dental College Chennai. They have a son named Samarth (Born: February 27, 2011).
- Aasai Mugam
- Nalam Tharum Narasimhar
- Thiru Arutpa
- Arul Tharum Sri Thanumalayan
- Sri Maha Pratyangira
- Sri Sai Natha
- Kollur Sri Mookambika
- Swagatham Krishna
- Aboorva Nayaki
- Divine Gems
- Notable Songs (Tamil)
|Enna Maranthalum||Kaadhal Jaathi||Ilayaraja|
|Aiyyayo Pidichirukku||Saamy||Harris Jayaraj|
|Puyaley Puyaley||Kovil||Harris Jayaraj|
|Thottuputtan||Nee Venunda Chellam||Dhina|
|Vellaikkara Mutham||Chellamae||Harris Jayaraj|
|Pengal||Achacho||M.K.S. Narula Khan|
|Bayla Baylamo||Kumaran||Harris Jayaraj|
|Yammadi Aathaadi||Vallavan||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Mudhal Mazhai||Bheema||Harris Jayaraj|
|Kann Simittum||Uyir||Joshua Sridhar|
|Innisai||Varalaru||A. R. Rahman|
|Kannai Thirandu||Ullam||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Namma Ooru||Seval||G. V. Prakash Kumar|
|Engae Engae||ABCD||D. Imman|
|Vaa Nila||Naan Aval Adhu||R. P. Patnaik|
|Nenjae Nenjae||Ayan||Harris Jayaraj|
|Uyar Thiru||Kandha||Shakti R Selva|
|Unnai Kanda||Alaral||Jai Sudhakar|
|Nilavinil Dhinam||Alaral||Jai Sudhakar|
|Galagalagalappa||Oru Kadhalan Oru Kadhali||Bharani|
|Thee Illai||Engeyum Kadhal||Harris Jayaraj|
|Unnai Unnai||Vellore Maavattam||Sundar C Babu|
|Paravai Parakkum||Anbulla Maanvizhiye||Aravind Sriram|
|Muthu Muthu||Nellu||S S Kumaran|
|Idhuvaria Idhuvarai||Potta Potti||Arul Dev|
|Ennavo Nenjiley||Kadhal Padhai||S S Kumaran|
|Mazhaye Mazhaye||Aarhan kaaval||Sanjeev Kumar|
|Vaanam Yeno Indru||Unnadhamaanavan||Srikanth Deva|
|Kandravi Kaadhal Paaru||Meenkothi||Dhina|
|Naan Poondhamalli||Thadaiyara Thaakka||Thaman|
|Ondraagha||Charulatha||Sundar C Babu|
|Lollu Dhada Parak Parak||Lollu Dhada Parak Parak||Mansooralikhan|
|Yennai Yennai||Vetri Selvan||Mani Sharma|
|Veyile Veyile - Siru Siru||Nagarpuram||Aruldev|
|Nee Raangikaari||Killadi||Srikanth Deva|
|Nelavukkum Naanam||Theriyaama Unna Kaadhalichitten||PR Srinath|
- Notable Songs (Telugu)
|Paruvapu Vaana||Bheema||Harris Jayaraj|
|Maja Maja||Maharadhi||Guru Kiran|
|He Chara||Nenu Thane Aame||R. P. Patnaik|
|Donga Donga||Naidu LLB||S. A. Rajkumar|
|Pettadey Oh Muddu||Prema Chadarangam||Harris Jayaraj|
|Rukku Rukku||Chanti New||Sri|
|Venditeralo Bulliteralo||Prema Chadarangam||Harris Jayaraj|
|Segaledhu Pogaledhu||Ninnu Chusthe Love Vasthundi||Harris Jayaraj|
|Idharaa||Charulatha||Sundar C Babu|
|Veluge Veluge - Ciru Ciru||Nagarapuram||Aruldev|
|Lasku Tapa||Legend||Devi Sri Prasad|
- Notable Songs (Malayalam)
|Onnai Mulaikkum||Charulatha||Sundar C Babu|
- Notable Songs (Kannada)
|Bissi Bissi||Gun||Ronnie Raphael|
|Oh Kandhaa||Charulatha||Sundar C Babu|
Mahathi has sung innumerable number of jingles for advertisements, the most popular ones being:
|Chennai Silks||D. Imman|
|Saravana Stores||D. Imman|
|Aroor Moora and Sons||Kannan|
|Saravana Stores Gold Palace||Kannan|
|Madurai Rajmahal Silks|
|Sathya Home Appliances|
|A V R Swarna Mahal|
Serial title songs
|Serial name||Music Director||Channel|
|Rekkai kattiya Manasu||K. Balachander||Raj TV|
|Priyamudan K B||K. Balachander||Star Vijay|
|Makkal Arangam||Rajesh Vaidya||Jaya TV|
|Ethir Neechal||K. Balachander||Jaya TV|
|Miss and Mrs Title song||Saravanan||Jaya TV|
Tours and performances
- Toured all over Malaysia and Singapore for classical concerts in 2002.
- Toured Burma (Myanmar) for Star Night Shows with Sri. Gangai Amaran and Sri. Malaysia Vasudevan in 2002.
- Performed for Boy's Boom Boom night with Singers Vasundhara Das, Manikka Vinayagam, Tippu (singer), Karthik (singer), Malathi Lakshman etc. at Colombo
- Toured London, Colombo, Kandy for light music and classical concerts in 2004.
- Toured Germany, Sweden, Norway and Denmark for concerts and shows in 2005.
- Toured Dubai and Bahrain for Asianet Onam Festival Shows(Malayalam) in 2006.
- Toured Australia (Melbourne & Sydney) with Dr. kJ Yesudas & Smt.Sujatha Mohan in October 2006. Performed at the concert hall in Sydney Opera House. This Performance is the first Tamil show at the Sydney Opera House.
- Performed for the Enfield Nagabooshani Amman temple, London with Sri. Harish Raghavendra in March 2008.
- Performed at the Sharjah Cricket Association Stadium with Deva (music director) for a star nite show in February 2008.
- Performed a live concert for the Tamil new year at Colombo for the Sri Lankan Government Tamil Channel Roopavahini.
- Toured all over the United States in May - June 2010 for Concerts and Shows.
- Toured UK for concerts in November 2010.
- Performed for the Kuwait Tamil Sangam in May 2011.
- Performed a Live Concert with Dr K. J. Yesudas at Kuala Lumpur for Astro Vanavil Channel.
- Toured all over the United States in October - November 2012 for concerts and shows along with playback singers Harish Raghavendra and Sathya Prakash.
- Performed at The 4th Tamil Trinity Festival, Melbourne in March 2013.
- Performed a fusion concert with Rajhesh Vaidhya and Stephen Devassy at London and Toronto in March 2013.
Awards and accolades
As Playback Singer
- 1996: All Kerala ICSE Award for light music
- 2003: Sensational Debut Singer award from Variety film awards Saamy
- 2003: Best Singer Award form Ajantha Arts Academy for Saamy
- 2003: Best Debut Singer Award form M.G.R. – Sivaji Arts Academy for Saamy
- 2008: Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Female Playback - "Naeraa Varattuma" - Nenjathai Killadhe
- 2008: Best Playback Singer for "Mudhal Mazhai" from Bheema by Jaya TV
- 2008: ITFA Best Female Playback Award - "Mudhal Mazhai" - Bheema
- 2009: Best Female Playback Singer Award from Isai Aruvi Tamil Music Awards
- 2011: V4 Entertainers Award for the song "Neduvaali" from Osthe
As Carnatic Vocalist
- 2001: All Kerala State Award for Carnatic Music
- 2001: Bala Bhaskara Award for excellence in Carnatic Music
- Innisai Ilayavani - Vani Vilas Sabha, Kumbakonnam
- 2005: Best Performer Award - Sri Parthasarathy Swami Sabha, Chennai
- 2006: Best Young Vocalist Award (For Raaga Aalaapana) - Madras Music Academy, Chennai
- 2008: Youth Excellence Award in the field of Carnatic Music - Maharajapuram Vishwanatha Iyer Trust
- 2010: P. K. Chari Endowment Prize for the Best Concert of Gokulashtami Series of the year from Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, Chennai.
- 2011: Yuva Kala Bharathi title for Outstanding Achievement in the field of Carnatic Music from Bharat Kalachar, Chennai.
- "The Chord Wizard" title from WE (Women Exclusive) Magazine, Chennai, India.
- "Front Page : Rajini, Kamal win best actor awards". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2009-09-29. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Aaha Paadalam". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 2004-02-13.
- "The Raja still reigns supreme". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 2005-10-21.
- "Mahathi gets fourth time lucky". The Times Of India. 2009-05-27.