Mahatma Gandhi University
||This college or university article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia guidelines for college and university articles. (February 2011)|
|Mahatma Gandhi University|
Emblem of Mahatma Gandhi University
|Motto||विद्यया अमृतमश्नुते (Sanskrit)
Motto in English
|Knowledge makes one immortal|
|Chancellor||Governor of Kerala|
|Location||Kottayam, KEL, IND|
Mahatma Gandhi University was established on 2 October 1983 in Kottayam district of Kerala State. Mahatma Gandhi University (formerly Gandhiji University), has been approved by UGC and accredited (B+) by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council of India ( Only 4 universities among 15 universities in the state are qualified to receive NAAC accreditation). The university have around 100 affiliated colleges spread over five districts in central Kerala.
Also known as MG University, and abbreviated as MGU has grown these years to become one among the TOP 50 UNIVERSITIES IN INDIA, ranked by India Today magazine. Also MGU is the only university from south India selected for Obama-Singh 21st Century Knowledge Initiative set up by U.S.-India Governments for Institutional Partnership Grants. This created MGU to form partnership with Brown University, Duke University and Plymouth State University from USA.
The University Grants Commission of India does not believe that names of Indian universities should be unique, so another State Government-run Mahatma Gandhi University was established in 2007 in Andhra Pradesh ( now in newly formed state of Telangana) and got recognition from UGC. The decision was not challenged by the older Mahatma Gandhi University in Kerala. Hence similarly another Private university named Mahatma Gandhi University (MGU-Meghalaya) was also established through Meghalaya State legislative Act, 2010 in Meghalaya and followed by same named Private universities by Uttarakhand State in 2007 and states of Rajasthan, Arunachal Pradesh too coming latest in this list.
University offers around 299 academic programmes (Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral degrees) in the fields of Pure and Applied Sciences, Technology, Paramedical Studies, Nursing, Management, Engineering, Gandhian Thought, International Relations, Politics, Physics, Nano Science, Disability Studies, Rehabilitation Sciences, Special Education, Psychology, Behavioural Medicine, Tourism, Journalism, Chemical Sciences, Polymer Engineering, Hospital Administration, Environmental Sciences, Disaster Management, Business Studies, Commerce, Economics, Arts, Pedagogical Studies, Hotel and Hospitality Management, Catering Science, Food and Nutrition, Computer Science, Biotechnology, Geoinformatics among others. Average annual student enrollment is between 17,000-18,000 as per 2013 statistics. 
Dr Babu Sebastian (Former Director of SIET & IT@School) is the Vice Chancellor of this University. Dr.Sheena Shukkur (Former faculty member of the National Judicial Academy, Bhopal) serves as the Pro Vice Chancellor. The registrar is Mr. M.R. Unni and Dr. Thomas John Mampra holds the charge of Controller of Examinations. Mr. Abraham J.Puthumana acts as the Finance Officer and Mr. G. Sreekumar is the Public Relations Officer of this University.
The university is funded by the University Grants Commission and Government of Kerala. It is a member of the AIU and the ACU. Association of Commonwealth Universities represents over 480 universities from Commonwealth countries.
The University campus is in the Priyadarsini Hills, 13 kilometers from Kottayam Railway Station and 4 kilometers from Ettumanoor. To reach the campus one should take deviation from M.C. Road at Ettumanoor or Gandhi Nagar. The nearest airport is Cochin International Airport situated at Nedumbassery, Cochin which is about 80 km away. Private buses to Ernakulam starting from the Nagampadom bus stand at the northern end of the railway platform at Kottayam stop at the university. The travel time is around 40 minutes, and the ticket costs Rs.10.00. Autorickshas ply the distance for about Rs.200.
Mahatma Gandhi University has made its presence outside its territorial jurisdiction through the 72 off campus centres — 55 centres within Kerala, 9 outside Kerala and at 8 global locations.
Schools and Departments
- School of Behavioural Science
- School of Bio-Science
- School of Chemical Science
- School of Computer Sciences
- School of Distance Education
- School of Environmental Science
- School of Gandhian Thought and Development Studies
- School of Indian Legal Thought
- School of International Relation & Politics
- School of Printing & Publishing
- School of Letters
- School of Pedagogical Sciences
- School of Physical Education & Sports Science
- School of Pure and applied physics
- School of Management & Business Studies
- School of Social Science
- School of Technology & Applied Sciences
- School of Tourism Studies
- Department of Life-Long Learning & Extension
- National Institute of Plant Science Technology
- Inter University Center For Studies in Science Of Music
- Centre For High Performance Computing
- Inter University Centre for Disability Studies
- International and Inter University Centre for Nano science and Nanotechnology
- Institute for Intensive Research in Basic Sciences
- Inter University Centre for Biomedical Research
- Inter University Instrumentation Centre
- Advanced Molecular Materials Research Centre
- Inter University Centre for Social Science Research and Extension
- Advanced Centre of Environmental Studies and Sustainable Development
- Centre for English Language and Communication Skills
- K.n. Raj study centre for planning and centre -state financial relations
Centre for Advanced Research in Library and Information Sciences (CARLIS)
CARLIS was established in 2010 for interdisciplinary research in areas that constitute the discipline. Instead of dealing with traditional methods and automation of the existing systems and procedures most of which have become irrelevant in the context of explosive changes introduced by ICT as done by most of the library science schools in India CARLIS is intended to concentrate on technologies that can transfer existing knowledge from traditional media to future proof digital media for the networked society, as well as extension of access to it in an equitable way which has become essential to keep research in the field technologically viable and relevant to society. CARLIS covers two main areas; Library Science and Information Science along with their applications using technologies developed in allied areas. CARLIS started Offering PhD programmes in 2010 and the areas of research are content management, digital archiving, multimedia resources, information administration, information economics, information infrastructures, IPR issues, knowledge warehousing, language technologies, Open Access protocols, resource sharing networks etc. As per its approved plan it is envisaged as a national centre and will have initially an Advisory Council with experts from India and abroad, an Honorary Director, experts from different areas in knowledge management as faculty. The research by the team associated to CARLIS has developed the Digital Library package with search mechanisms for Indian scripts used in Gandhi University On line Theses Library the first official Open Access Archive of PhD theses from Indian universities.
The university enrolls 17,000 - 18,000 students on an average every year in regular programmes around the world to 299 courses in Under graduate, Post graduate and M.Phil/Ph.D. programmes. Besides MGU have a dedicated School of Distance Education for promoting open, correspondence, online mode of education for candidates who cannot attend regular classes. Enrollment in distance programmes is not included in university gross enrollment data given above.
- Gupta, Ameeta; Kumar, Ashish (2006). Handbook of Universities. New Delhi: Atlantic Publishers & Distributors. pp. 532–536. ISBN 978-81-269-0608-6. Retrieved 21 May 2013.
- Jancy James, Dr and Raman Nair, R. and Sreekumar, G. Doctoral Research at Mahatma Gandhi University 1983-2008: a Bibliometric Analysis. University News, 2008, vol. 46, n. 51, retrieved 20 July 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mahatma Gandhi University.|
- Mahatma Gandhi University: Official website of Mahatma Gandhi University
- Mahatma Gandhi University Info
- Mahatma Gandhi University