Mahavir Cancer Institute & Research Centre
Built on 3 acres (12,000 m2) of land, Mahavir Cancer Sansthan is a 300 bedded cancer hospital. The infrastructure includes an Out-patient Department, Cancer Screening and Detection centre, and Laboratory and Imaging Departments. The Medical Oncology Department is a 30-bedded unit. Other services include Surgical Oncology, Voluntary Services, Support Services, Blood Bank, Rehabilitation, Social Welfare services, Pharmacy and Dietary Consultation and Counseling.
The institute has a canteen, and a Meditation and Prayer Hall.
- 14 May 1995 : Foundation stone of the Cobalt building complex laid by Imam Jenab Syed Bukhari of Jama Masjid, Delhi.
- 12 Dec, 1998 : Inauguration of the hospital and activation of Cobalt unit by His Holiness Dalai Lama. Patient treatment started.
- 27 Jun, 1999 : Inauguration of Indoor ward, Laboratory and Radiology by Shri B.M. Lal, Governor of Bihar.
- 16 Aug, 1999 : Start of Canteen and Pharmacy.
- 12 Dec, 2000 : Inauguration of CT Scan Unit by Bhai Iqbal Singh, Chief Granthi, Patna Sahib Gurudwara, Patna City .
- 12 Dec, 2000 : Inauguration of Mammography Unit by Sri A. G. Kalmankar, CGM, State Bank of India, Patna.
- 27 Jan, 2002 : Operating Theatre Complex inaugurated by Sadhvishri Sampragyaji of Virayatan.
- 4 Apr, 2002 : Project for research in Gall Bladder diseases, including cancer, inaugurated at the Sansthan by C.P. Thakur, Health Minister, government of India.
- 12 Dec, 2002 : Tobacco cessation programme inaugurated by Sri Shatrughan Sinha, Union Health Minister, government of India.
- 6 Sept, 2003 : Laser therapy for cancer at Mahavir Cancer Sansthan was inaugurated by M. Rama Jois, Governor of Bihar.
- 11 Nov., 2003 : Lion blood bank was inaugurated by the International Director - Lion Chigurupati Varaprasad.
- 7 March 2005 : Adopted ‘Kurkuri’ village of Patna district for health care.
- 15 March 2005 : Foundation stone laying for installation of second Cobalt machine by Gen. (Retd.) S.K. Sinha, Governor of Jammu & Kashmir.
- 23 April 2005 : Air-conditioned ambulance cum Blood Collection Van donated by Shri Shatrughan Sinha from his M.P. Local area development fund.
- 28 Jun, 2005 : Inauguration of community oncology wing by Shri D.N.Sahay, Governor of Tripura.
- 29 Oct. 2005 : Inauguration of Mahavir Cancer Sansthan library by Sri. Kuldeep Nayyar.
- 12 Dec. 2005 : Chief Minister of Bihar Shri Nitish Kumar inaugurated the foundation day celebration and Minister Shri Chandra Mohan Rai released the year book - “Jeevan Jyot”
- 29 October 2005 Inauguration of Mahavir Cancer Sansthan Library by Shri. Kuldeep Nayyar.
- 30 Dec. 2005 : President of India A.P.J. Abdul Kalam inaugurated the paediatric ward.
- 24 March 2006 : Yoga Rishi Swami Ramdev Maharaj inaugurated the second Cobalt machine.
- 12 Feb 2007 : Former Union Health Minister, government of India, Shri Shatrughan Sinha inaugurated the Research Centre.
- 21 April 2007 : Vice President of India Sri Bhairon Singh Shekhawat Inaugurated the Dept. of Cancer Prevention & Control Unit of the Mahavir Cancer Sansthan.
- 25 Jul, 2007 : Inauguration of Mahavir Cancer Sansthan's Dharamsala by Hazarat Maulalana Nizamuddin Emarat - e – Shariya.
- 10 November 2007 : Inauguration of national conference “Oncology- 2006 (ISO & ISMPO), by Union Health Minister, government of India, Dr. Ambumani Ramdoss.
- 30 November 2007 : M.P. Shri Shatrughan Sinha inaugurated Tambaku Mukti Mission & Cancer Awareness programme in B.S.College, Danapur (Patna).
- 16 February 2008 : The President of India, Mrs. Pratibha Patil inaugurated the IAHOMCON 2008 at Mahavir Cancer Sansthan.
- December 25, 2009: Initiated usage of hyperthermia treatment as an adjuvant to radiation treatment. The 27 MHz equipment and training was part of a collaborative project with California State University, Sacramento, U.S.A. 14 Patients were treated in the initial clinical trial involving hyperthermia and radiation. 8 patients had good response to the combined treatment, 5 patients showed partial response, and 1 patient showed no response. Since the results of the latter trial were encouraging, a Phase II trial is being planned.
Mahavir Mandir Trusts
Mahavir Mandir Trusts is named as Shri Mahavir Sthan Nyas Samiti and monitors the working and development of Mahavir Mandir. The trusts runs human welfare organizations like Mahavir Cancer Sansthan, Patna, Mahavir Vaatsalya Hospital and Mahavir Arogya Hospitaland hospitals and orphanages in Bihar.