|Yang Berhormat Dato' Seri
|Menteri Besar of Kedah|
|Preceded by||Syed Razak Syed Zain Barakhbah (UMNO–BN)|
|Succeeded by||Azizan Abdul Razak (PAS)|
|Member of the Parliament of Malaysia for Padang Terap, Kedah|
|Preceded by||Mohd Nasir Zakaria (PAS)|
|Member of the Kedah State Legislative Assembly for Pedu|
|Preceded by||Wan Jaafar Wan Ahmad (PAS)|
|Succeeded by||Kama Noriah Ibrahim (UMNO–BN)|
15 December 1960 |
Alor Star, Kedah, Federation of Malaya (now Malaysia)
|Political party||United Malays National Organisation–BN|
Dato' Seri Mahdzir Khalid (born 15 December 1960) is a Malaysian politician. He is the member of the Parliament of Malaysia for the seat of Padang Terap, Kedah, having been elected in the 2013 general election. He is also Malaysia's Deputy Minister for Energy, Green Technology and Water. He was the ninth Menteri Besar (Chief Minister) of the State of Kedah, from 2005 to 2008, and represented the seat of Pedu in the Kedah State Legislative Assembly from 2004 to 2013. He is a member of the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO) party in Malaysia's ruling Barisan Nasional coalition.
Mahdzir started his political career as a staffer and in 1999 became the political secretary to then deputy prime minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi. In 2004 he was elected to the Kedah State Legislative Assembly for the rural seat of Pedu. In December of the following year he became the state's Chief Minister after his predecessor, Datuk Seri Syed Razak bin Syed Zain Barakhbah, resigned because of ill health. Mahdzir had been acting in the position since July.
Mahdzir's tenure as Menteri Besar came to an end after his Barisan Nasional government was defeated in the 2008 election by an opposition coalition led by the Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS). Mahdzir became Barisan Nasional's opposition leader in the state assembly, before moving to federal parliament in the 2013 election, winning the seat of Padang Terap from PAS. After the election he was appointed as Deputy Minister for Energy, Green Technology and Water in the government of Prime Minister Najib Razak.
|2013||Mahdzir Khalid (UMNO)||20,654||56%||Mohd Nasir Zakaria (PAS)||16,202||44%|
|2004||Mahdzir Khalid (UMNO)||7,684||57%||Wan Jaafar Wan Ahmad (PAS)||5,785||43%|
|2008||Mahdzir Khalid (UMNO)||8,780||59%||Zamri Yusuf (PKR)||6,047||41%|
- Habibu, Sira (24 December 2005). "Sultan consents to Mahdzir as Kedah Mentri Besar". The Star. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "Mahdzir takes over as new Kedah Menteri Besar". Daily Express (Malaysia). 23 December 2005. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "Waking up to new politics". The Star (Star Publications (Malaysia)). 10 March 2008. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "The complete list of Ministers and Deputy Ministers in Najib’s new Cabinet". ABN News. 15 May 2013. Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri". Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 11 May 2013. Percentage figures based on total turnout, excluding informal votes.
Syed Razak Syed Zain Barakhbah
|Menteri Besar of Kedah
Azizan Abdul Razak