A Mahindra XUV500 on display at the Santiago Carshow in Chile, 2012.
|Manufacturer||Mahindra & Mahindra|
|Assembly||Chakan, Maharashtra, India
Nashik, Maharashtra, India
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Sport utility vehicle|
|Body style||4-door SUV|
|Engine||2.2 litre mHawk140, direct injection diesel, 5th generation Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT)|
|Transmission||6 Speed Manual|
|Wheelbase||2,700 mm (106 in)|
|Length||4,585 mm (181 in)|
|Width||1,890 mm (74 in)|
|Height||1,785 mm (70 in)|
|Kerb weight||1,785 kg (3,935 lb)|
The Mahindra XUV 500 is a mid-size SUV produced by the Indian automobile company Mahindra & Mahindra and was launched in September 2011 and by June 2012 the XUV 500 was available in 19 cities in India. Before it was launched, it was code named 'W201'.
The XUV500 was designed and developed at Mahindra's design and vehicle build center in Nashik and Chennai, and is manufactured in Mahindra's Chakan & Nashik plant, India. It is the first monocoque chassis based vehicle from the company. To meet the growing demand of its hot selling model XUV 500, M & M plans to increase the monthly production to 5000 units by Sept-Oct 2012. Despite being highly popular in India, it is less known in other countries as much as the Mahindra Scorpio is. But the XUV500 witnessed a steep rise in the South African market with sales crossing 1200 units. Mahindra’s XUV 500 secured first place in the 2010 Desert Storm Rally - one of India’s toughest tests for both man and machine. Apart from that, the XUV500 also set three special stages ablaze by clocking the fastest time in each.
Eighteen months later, the XUV500 was born amidst carefully calibrated hype. That build-up and consequent anticipation has translated into 35,000 XUV500s being sold in the first year and another 14,000 buyers on a waiting list.
The XUV500 is powered by a 2.2 litre (2179 cc) "mHawk" turbo diesel engine similar to the one in the Mahindra Scorpio. It develops 140 bhp (104 kW; 142 PS) @ 3750 rpm and torque of 330 N·m (243 lb·ft) @1600-2800 rpm and is mated to a new 6-speed manual gearbox developed by Ricardo.
The XUV500 is launched in two versions sharing the same engine; the W6 in two-wheel drive only and the W8 which can be specified in two- or four-wheel drive. The W6 includes a 6-inch monochrome infotainment display, two airbags, ABS with electronic brake-force Distribution (EBD), disc brakes on all wheels. The W8 adds GPS navigation, six airbags, a touch screen, electronic stability program (ESP) with rollover mitigation, Hill Hold and Hill Descent control, alloy wheels, and leather upholstery.
Mahindra XUV500 is also designed for international markets. The company had made an announcement that this hit SUV will be exported to South Africa, Australia, Chile and Italy from India as CBU. The review intimated that the price of the SUV in foreign countries will be different from the Indian version.
- Wheelbase - 2700mm
- Overall width - 1890mm
- Overall length - 4585mm
- Overall height - 1785mm
- Ground clearance - 200mm
- Gross vehicle weight - 2450 kg
The XUV500 can accelerate 0-60 KMPH in 5.4 seconds and 0-100 KMPH in 12.5 seconds and reach a top speed of 180 kmph. Its fuel economy is 15.1 KM per Litre (as per ARAI test), and 13.8 km Per liter in city and has a 70 litres fuel tank.
Mahindra XUV500 received ‘Total Customer Satisfaction Award’ from TNS Automotive. The flagship vehicle from Mahindra received the award for being top ranked in the SUV segment in the largest syndicated automotive study in India conducted by TNS Automotive.
Early owners reported the brake noise issues and dashboard rattles. There have also been a couple of engine failures because of faulty oil pumps.
- "Mahindra XUV500 unveiled". Autocar India. 28 September 2011. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Mahindra unveils XUV 500 in Indore". 7 June 2012.
- "Mahindra XUV 500 launched at a starting price of Rs 10.8 lakh". Economic Times. 29 September 2011. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Mahindra XUV500 review, test drive". Autocar India. 25 October 2011. Retrieved 28 May 2012.
- "Mahindra & Mahindra to increase XUV500 output to 5k units a month by September-October". 10 June 2012.
- "Mahindra XUV 500's Desert Storm Rally Win". theCARwallpapers. 28 April 2012. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- M&M increases XUV500 production to meet demand News article on XUV500 production increase by Carazoo
- "Killer price for Mahindra XUV500". Autocar India. 28 September 2011. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Mahindra XUV 500 detailed review".
- "DC Designs XUV 500". theCARwallpapers. 10 September 2012. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Venkat Desirazu. "Mahindra XUV500 receives ‘Total Customer Satisfaction Award". Carwale.com. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- Official website
- Mahindra XUV 500 Exclusive Photoshoot
- Mahindra XUV500 launches the innovative Mahindra BLUE SENSE APP