|A component of Microsoft Windows|
Mahjong Titans in Windows 7
|Included with||Windows Vista, Windows 7|
|Also available for||Windows 3.1 – Windows XP|
Microsoft Mahjong (formerly Mahjong Titans and Taipei) is a computer game version of mahjong solitaire published by Microsoft. The version titled Mahjong Titans was developed by Oberon Games and included in Windows Vista and Windows 7 (except Starter and Home Basic editions). It takes advantage of the new graphical user interface (GUI) of Windows Vista, and includes features such as tile set and background choices. (In Windows Vista build 5219, the game was known as Shanghai Solitaire.) The game did not make it to Windows 8; however, a standalone version, developed by Arkadium and published by Microsoft Studios, can be downloaded from the Windows Store free of charge.
The player has a choice of six tile layouts - Cat, Turtle, Crab, Dragon, Fortress and Spider, each a stylized portrayal of the respective object or animal. The background image can be chosen from five different options and there are four tile sets, including traditional Mahjong tiles, variations with fuller coloring or larger print, and an alternative pastel tile set with an entirely different picture theme.
Games are not totally random. There is always at least one pair within five tiles of the topmost five tiles in the turtle layout and often two pairs. The algorithm for tile organization positions tiles such that they can mostly be paired on the same level, or otherwise a matching tile is available in an accessible position one level down. It does not check to ensure that the matching tile is not positioned beneath its partner. Thus, there are some games that are impossible to solve.
- "Microsoft Mahjong". arkadium.com. Arkadium. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Microsoft Mahjong". Windows Store. Microsoft. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Best of Windows Entertainment Pack: Listing of Games". ftp.microsoft.com. Microsoft. 8 November 2001. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Description of Taipei in the Windows Entertainment Pack". ftp.microsoft.com. Microsoft. 30 July 2001. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Mahjong Titans - Microsoft Windows Vista Game Mahjong Titans". Windows.about.com. About.com. 2013-06-24. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- Thurrott, Paul (2010-10-06). "Microsoft Windows Vista Build 5219 (Community Technical Preview 1) Review". Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows. Penton Media. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "A Look at Windows Vista Installed Games, Page 3". GameSpot. CBS Interactive. p. 3. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
|This article about a video game released for Microsoft Windows is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Microsoft Windows software-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|