Maia Makhateli (born ca. 1986) is a Georgian ballet dancer. After terms with the Colorado Ballet and the Birmingham Royal Ballet, she joined the Dutch National Ballet in 2006 where she now is a principal dancer.
Makhateli was born in Tbilisi, Georgia, to Nikoloz Makhateli and Marina Loladze, dancers at the Georgian National Ballet; her grandfather was a notable folk dancer in Georgia. She trained in ballet in Tblisi at the Cabukiana Choreographic Institute with Larisa Chkikvishvili. When she was 15, her father was offered a job with the Sun Valley Ballet School in Ketchum, Idaho, US. Makhateli also attended the school where she danced in The Nutcracker together with her elder brother David Makhateli. Her brother is a principal with The Royal Ballet, and her parents now run the Makhateli Ballet Academy in Denver, Colorado. She trained in Colorado with German Zamuel and Valentina Mukhanova.
In 2002, she joined the Colorado Ballet, dancing several principal roles. In 2006, Makhateli moved to England where she spent a year with the Birmingham Royal Ballet. That year, paired with her brother, she danced Romeo and Juliet at the World International Ballet Festival in Tokyo, saying, "It's quite hard to be Juliet when Romeo is your brother." She joined the Dutch National Ballet in Amsterdam in 2007 as a grand sujet. Two years later, she became a soloist and was promoted to principal dancer in 2010. She will be a guest teacher at the The Hague's 2014 Summerschool Den Haag program and has been a guest artist at the Portland Oregon Ballet.
- Nina Ananiashvili & Gilbert Albert Star Award (2011, Georgia)
- Youth American Grand Prix 2002 (2002, New York City, US)
- Finalist, Denver Ballet Guild's Young Dancer’s competition (2002, US)
- First place, Youth America Grand Prix Competition (2002, Denver, US)
- Second place, Chabukiani-Balanchine International Ballet Competition (2001)
- Diplomat, International Ballet Festival, (2001, Kazan, Russia)
- "Siblings Sharing the Stage". Dance Magazine. November 2007. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- "Cupcakes & Conversation with Maia Makhateli, Principal, Dutch National Ballet". Ballet News. 17 June 2011. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Maia Makhateli". Birmingham Royal Ballet. 10 April 2007. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Maia Makhateli". Dutch National Ballet. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- "Teachers Summerschool Den Haag 2014". Summerschool Den Haag. Retrieved 5 May 2014.