Izturis with the Toronto Blue Jays
|Toronto Blue Jays – No. 3|
September 12, 1980 |
Barquisimeto, Lara State, Venezuela
|Bats: Switch||Throws: Right|
|August 27, 2004 for the Montreal Expos|
(through April 13, 2014)
|Runs batted in||334|
Maicer Eduardo Izturis (/ /; born September 12, 1980) is a Venezuelan professional baseball infielder for the Toronto Blue Jays of Major League Baseball. He is a switch-hitter and throws right-handed. Izturis is the half brother of shortstop César Izturis 
Izturis was traded to the Montreal Expos at the end of the 2003 season.
In 2004, Izturis hit .338 with three home runs and 36 RBI for the Triple-A Edmonton Trappers before being promoted to the Major League level with the Montreal Expos. He registered a hit in his August 27, 2004 debut, singling off San Diego Padres right-hander Dennis Tankersley in the second inning. In 32 games with the Expos, Izturis hit .206 (22-for-107) with one home run and 14 RBI.
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
Though a shortstop by trade, Gold Glove winner Orlando Cabrera was already at shortstop on the Angels roster, relegating Izturis to the role of a utility infielder. After the placement of veteran Darin Erstad on the disabled list, the Angels moved star utilityman Chone Figgins to center field during the 2006 campaign, and Izturis emerged as the club's starting third baseman, until the Angels signed Gary Matthews, Jr. to start in center field for the 2007 season, forcing Figgins back to third base.
Izturis speaks to the press through an interpreter.
On January 25, 2010, the Angels signed Izturis to a three-year contract worth $10 million, avoiding arbitration. FanGraphs' Matthew Carruth called it a "fantastic deal" at "an insanely discounted rate" estimating his market value at about $20 million over three years. Baseball Prospectus called the deal a good 'insurance policy', adding, "he's a good enough offensive contributor to add value whatever the position among second, short, and third, and a good enough defender at any of them to be playable".
Toronto Blue Jays
On November 8, 2012, the Toronto Blue Jays announced that they had signed the free agent Izturis to a three-year $9 million deal with a $3 million club option for 2016. His option has a $1 million buyout.
On August 1, 2013, Izturis returned to Angel Stadium of Anaheim for the first time as a visitor, and was greeted with warm cheers from the Angel fans. He was placed on the 15-day disabled list on August 22 with a sprained left ankle. Ryan Goins was called up to replace Izturis. He was moved to the 60-day disabled list on August 24, effectively ending his first season as a Blue Jay. Izturis batted .236 in 2013 with 5 home runs and 32 RBI in 107 games.
Izturis began the 2014 season hitting .286 through 11 games. On April 13, in the final game of a three-game series against the Baltimore Orioles, he had to be scratched from the lineup shortly before the start of the game after tripping on the dugout stairs. Izturis told the team he heard two loud pops when he tripped, and was taken for a MRI the following day. The MRI determined that he had torn his lateral collateral ligament in his left knee, and would require surgery. Izturis told reporters he would seek a second opinion before undergoing surgery, as the expected recovery time of 4-6 months would likely sideline him for the rest of the 2014 season. He was later put on the 60-day disabled list.
- Wagner, Greg (June 29, 2006). "Izturis brothers feel no rivalry". MLB.com. Retrieved May 4, 2010.
- Klepner, Tyler. "A.L.C.S Game 2", The New York Times, October 18, 2009. Retrieved on October 18, 2009.
- Spencer, Lyle (January 25, 2010). "Angels lock up Izturis through 2010".
- Carruth, Matthew (January 25, 2010). "Angels Lock Up Talented Utility Man Izturis".
- Kahrl, Christina (January 26, 2010). "Transaction Analysis Blog". Baseball Prospectus. Retrieved January 29, 2010.
- "Jays sign free agent Izturis to three-year, $9M deal". TSN. November 8, 2012. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- "Trumbo homers as Angels end skid with win over Blue Jays". TSN. August 2, 2013. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- Chisholm, Gregor (August 22, 2013). "Izturis becomes latest Blue Jay to land on DL". MLB.com. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- "Jays recall Chad Jenkins and Chien-Ming Wang; Izturis put on 60-day DL". The Globe and Mail. August 24, 2013. Retrieved August 24, 2013.
- Chisholm, Gregor (April 14, 2014). "Izturis may be out for season; surgery likely". MLB.com. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Kennedy, Brendan (April 14, 2014). "Blue Jays' Maicer Izturis injured and likely out for season". thestar.com. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Rutsey, Mike (April 19, 2014). "Adam Lind on DL as part of Blue Jays roster moves". torontosun.com. Retrieved April 19, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors), or Retrosheet
- Venezuelan Professional Baseball League statistics