|Chicago White Sox|
May 1, 1989 |
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|June 2, 2011 for the St. Louis Cardinals|
(through June 24, 2014)
|Earned run average||7.89|
New York Mets
In 2008 Cleto split the season between the Class-A Savannah Sand Gnats and the Class-A Advanced St. Lucie Mets. He had a combined record of 5–12 with a 4.41 ERA, one shutout and 82 strikeouts in 26 games, 23 starts between the two clubs.
Cleto split the 2009 season between the Rookie-Level Peoria Mariners and the Class-A Clinton LumberKings. He went 0–4 with a 5.54 ERA and 25 strikeouts in nine games, eight starts. He attended spring training with the Mariners but was assigned to the Minor Leagues early in camp. Cleto was placed on the disabled list of July 7 due to back discomfort and made his return on August 15.
St. Louis Cardinals
Kansas City Royals
Chicago White Sox
Cleto was claimed off waivers by the Chicago White Sox on February 26, 2014. To make room on the roster the Sox designated infielder Jake Elmore for assignment. Cleto was designated for assignment on May 10 to make room for Frank Francisco on the White Sox roster.
Cleto is a hard-thrower, wielding a four-seam fastball at 96–99 mph. The fastball is by far his most used pitch, but he also throws three off-speed pitches: a changeup (89–91) to lefties, a slider (84–86) to righties, and a curveball (79–82) to hitters from both sides of the plate.
- John Hickey (December 11, 2008). "Mariners send Putz, Reed, Green packing". Seattle PI. seattlepi.com. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- Jim Street (March 21, 2009). "Mariners send down lefty Vargas". Major League Baseball. mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- "L'Kings limited to 3 hits in Cleto's return". Clinton Herald. clintonherald.com. August 15, 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- Flame-thrower Cleto promoted with Lynn, St. Louis Post-Dispatch (June 2, 2011)
- "DH rule brings opportunity to Matheny, Cards". MLB.com. June 23, 2013.
- "Royals claim outfielder Jimmy Paredes off waivers from Baltimore". MLB.com. February 17, 2014. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "White Sox claim RHP Cleto off waivers from Royals". Associated Press. ESPN.com. February 26, 2014. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "White Sox bring up Frank Francisco". The Province. May 10, 2014. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- "Brooks Baseball · Home of the PitchFX Tool - Player Card: Maikel Cleto". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)