Mail delivery agent
A mail delivery agent or message delivery agent (MDA) is a computer software component that is responsible for the delivery of e-mail messages to a local recipient's mailbox. Also called an LDA, or local delivery agent.
Within the Internet mail architecture, local message delivery is achieved through a process of handling messages from the message transfer agent, and storing mail into the recipient's environment (typically a mailbox).
Many Mail Handling Software products bundle multiple message delivery agents with the message transfer agent component, providing for site customization of the specifics of mail delivery to a user.
List of message delivery agent software for Unix-like platforms
- bin/mail, the MDA part of Sendmail
- fdm - A combined mail retrieval agent and mail delivery agent
- postfix-maildrop - A mail delivery agent for use with the postfix mail transport agent
- smtp, local, virtual - Postfix daemons
- dovecot - A mail server suite that includes a mail delivery agent
- dystill - A filtering MySQL database driven mail delivery agent
- Cyrus IMAP - A mail server suite that includes a mail delivery agent
- Message transfer agent (MTA)
- Mail retrieval agent (MRA)
- Mail submission agent (MSA)
- Mail user agent (MUA) a.k.a. email client
- E-mail agent (infrastructure) (MxA)
|This article related to a type of software is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This network-related software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|