|Original author(s)||Orchestra Inc.|
|Initial release||February 7, 2013|
|Stable release||2.1 / (August 13, 2014)|
|Operating system||iOS, Android, OS X (beta)|
|Platform||iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Android devices, Macintosh|
Mailbox is a freeware email management application for iOS, Android, and OS X developed by Orchestra, Inc. The application received coverage on numerous technology blogs for its ease-of-use and innovative features, including swipe-based email sorting and filtering.
Weeks before its launch, pre-registration prompted a wait list of over 380,000. Mailbox was added to the iOS App Store on Thursday, February 7, 2013; it became the second most downloaded free app in the App Store that day. As of April 2013[update], Mailbox is available to users without wait-listing.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (May 2014)|
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014)|
The service provided is limited to Gmail and iCloud accounts, though it also supported Yahoo! Mail briefly. When setting up the application with Gmail you must enter your Gmail account information. The application uses its own server to repeatedly query Gmail about the contents of your inbox using Google's API. It then uses its server to push information to the device, as a POP3 email provider would, without the user actively fetching the email.
Starting in December 17, 2013, Mailbox added support for Yahoo email addresses. But on December 20, 2013, Yahoo! Mail support was removed and the Mailbox team reached out to the Yahoo! team to restore service.
- "Mailbox By Orchestra: The Best Email App We’ve Ever Used (Review)". Cult of Mac. 2013-02-03. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- Inbox Unchained: Mailbox just fixed email on the iPhone. The Verge (2013-02-07). Retrieved on 2013-07-30.
- "Mailbox CEO says insane 380K person wait list kept app from crashing today". VentureBeat. 2013-02-04. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- Mailbox for iPhone suffers downtime even with slow rollout. The Verge (2013-02-14). Retrieved on 2013-07-30.
- Seth Fiegerman (2013-01-22). "Mailbox Email App Finally Released on iPhone (Sort Of)". Mashable.com. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- "Mailbox now available without the wait". 2013-04-16. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
- Darrell Etherington (2013-03-15). "Dropbox Buys Mailbox, All 13 Employees Joining And App Will Remain Separate". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Todd Wasserman (2013-03-15). "Dropbox Buys Mailbox". Mashable. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Jon Fingas (2013-03-15). "Dropbox acquires Mailbox, teases an email and cloud collaboration". Engadget. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Brad Molen (2014-04-09). "Dropbox brings the popular Mailbox email app to Android and desktop". Engadget. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- "Mailbox on the App Store on iTunes". Retrieved 2014-06-02.
- "Mailbox: now for iCloud and Yahoo Mail". Retrieved 2014-06-02.
- "Yahoo! support is currently disabled.". Retrieved 2014-06-02.
|This mobile phone–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|