Main Battle Tank 3000
|Main Battle Tank 3000|
Scale model of MBT3000
|Type||Main battle tank|
|Place of origin||China|
|Used by||People's Liberation Army|
|Crew||3 (commander, driver, gunner)|
|125 mm (4.9 in) smoothbore|
|1 x RWS 12.7 mm (0.50 in) AA MG
1 × 7.62 mm (0.300 in) coaxial MG
|Engine||Turbocharged diesel engine
1,300 hp (969 kW)
|500 km (310 mi)|
|Speed||68 km/h (42 mph)|
The tank gun is a 125 mm (4.9 in) smoothbore, which can fire various shells including: kinetic energy penetrator, high explosive squash head and high explosive anti-tank warhead. In an interview with the tank's designer, it is claimed that the gun can fire a new APFSDS round that can penetrate 1000 mm of rolled homogeneous armor, presumably at a range of 2000 meters. In addition, the main gun can fire anti-tank missiles with a maximum range of 5,000 m (5,500 yd). The MBT3000 can carry 38 rounds of main ammunition with a maximum loading speed of 8 rounds per minute with 22 rounds on the autoloader.
The MBT3000 has a water-cooled turbocharger electronic-controlled diesel engine with 1,300 hp (969 kW). The MBT3000 has a cruise speed of 68 km/h (42 mph) and has an operational range of 500 km (310 mi). The tank uses digital technology with an inertial navigation system and Global Positioning System. The tanks ford depth is 4.5 m (4.9 yd) and it has a trench of 2.7 m (3.0 yd).
The tank has a fire extinguisher feature and explosion suppression system. The gradient is at maximum sixty-percent. It is also installed with a new active protection system designated the GL5.
- "HugeDomains.com - Asian-Defence.com is for Sale (Asian- Defence)". Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Norinco reveals new features on MBT-3000". Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Asian Defence: China's Norinco New MBT-3000 Tank". Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Pakistan would like to test the new Chinese MBT-3000 VT4 main battle tank". November 5, 2014.
- New features on MBT-3000 tank by Jane's Information Group
- Detailed pictures and a video of the MBT-3000 by China Defense Blog
- Norinco VT4 MBT-3000 main battle tank on armyrecognition.com