Main North Road
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)|
|Main North Road
|Length||354 km (220 mi)|
|North end||Princes Highway, Stirling North near Port Augusta, South Australia|
|South end||Robe Terrace North Adelaide, South Australia|
|Major suburbs||Wilmington, Gladstone, Clare, Giles Corner, Gawler, Elizabeth|
From the Adelaide city centre, it passes through the Adelaide Parklands and the suburbs of Thorngate, Medindie, Medindie Gardens, Nailsworth, Prospect, Sefton Park, Blair Athol and Enfield before reaching the major intersection at Gepps Cross. Here the road forks, with the Port Wakefield Road (A1 - National Highway 1) continuing to the north, and the Main North Road turning NE and continuing as the A20. It continues through Salisbury and Elizabeth to Gawler where the Sturt Highway branches off to the east. As the Main North Road continues northward to the Clare Valley, the Barrier Highway branches NE towards Burra. Beyond Clare, the Main North Road passes through the Southern Flinders Ranges to Wilmington at the eastern side of Horrocks Pass, and then turns back NW to Stirling North where it meets the Princes Highway just outside of Port Augusta.
The portion of Main North Road between the city centre and Mawson Lakes is a 15 minute public transport 'Go-Zone', with the maximum wait for a bus being 15 minutes during peak times (07:30am – 18:30pm weekdays). Bus routes via Main North Rd generally begin with the prefix "22x". The bus service is provided by SouthLink for Adelaide Metro.
From North Adelaide, the route numbers used along the road are:
- A1 to Gepps Cross, where it becomes National Highway A1 (part of the national Highway 1) and continues as Port Wakefield Road to Perth
- A52 to Gawler, where it becomes National Highway A20 Gawler Bypass Road and Sturt Highway to Sydney. (At the end of the Northern Expressway National Highway M20)
- A32 to Giles Corner where it continues as the Barrier Highway to Broken Hill
- B82 through the Clare Valley and beyond to Wilmington.
- B56 to Stirling North, 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) south-east of Port Augusta.
In late 2010 when the Northern Expressway was completed, National Highway A20 was diverted to the new road as National Highway M20. Main North Road and the southern section of the Gawler Bypass Road were then designated as State Route A52.
- Highways in Australia
- List of highways in South Australia
- Highway 1 (Australia)
- Highway 1 (South Australia)