Mainit, Surigao del Norte
|Municipality of Mainit
Lungsod nan Mainit
Bayan ng Mainit
|Surigao del Norte showing the location of Municipality of Mainit|
|Province||Surigao del Norte (Seat of Government)|
|Districts||Second District of Surigao del Norte|
|Official Languages||Cebuano, Surigaonon Widely Spoken, Filipino, English|
|Class||4th Class Municipality|
|• Mayor||Ramon B. Mondano (2007-Present)|
|• Vice Mayor||Rogelio M. Gatpolintan (2010-Present)|
|• Congress||Guillermo A. Romarate, Jr. (2007-Present)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Patron Saint||San Nicolas|
|Membership||Lake Mainit Development Alliance|
Mainit is a 4th class municipality in the province of Surigao del Norte, Philippines. It is situated by Lake Mainit in the northeastern part of Mindanao. The word "mainit" literally means "hot". According to the 2000 census, it has a population of 23,417 people in 4,621 households.
The first inhabitants of Mainit settled near Lake Mainit in what is now barangay San Isidro. It was believed that the constant harassment of pirates forced the original settlers to move to the present town site.
Mainit was made into a barrio in 1904 under the Municipality of Placer. In 1906, it became a Municipality of Agusan Province but after six months, Mainit was returned to the Province of Surigao del Norte and its status was reverted to being a barangay of Placer. Mainit was finally made into a municipality in Jan. 1, 1931 by virtue of Executive Order 290 dated December 27, 1930 signed by Governor-General Dwight F. Davis.
Mainit got its name from the hot sulfuric spring which flows to the river the “Mapaso Hot Spring”. Mapaso literally is “hot”. 
- "An Act Converting into Barrios Certain Sitios in the Province of Surigao, and Dividing the Barrio of Macalaya into Two Barrios, Municipality of Placer, in the Same Province". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-12.
- Municipality of Mainit (2009-12-21). "History, Vision and Mission". Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- Official Website of the Municipality of Mainit
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- 1995 Philippine Census Information
- 2000 Philippine Census Information
- 2007 Philippine Census Information (1)
- 2007 Philippine Census Information (2)
- Local Governance Performance Management System
- Discover Mainit
- About Mainit
- A Civil Society Organization of Mainit, Surigao del Norte
- Mainitnons in Northern America,USA and CANADA