|Created by||James Duff|
G. W. Bailey
Michael Paul Chan
Phillip P. Keene
Graham Patrick Martin
Jonathan Del Arco
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||39 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||James Duff
Michael M. Robin
|Location(s)||Los Angeles, California|
|Running time||43 minutes|
|Production company(s)||The Shephard/Robin Company
Warner Bros. Television
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Original run||August 13, 2012– present|
|Preceded by||The Closer|
Major Crimes is an American television police procedural series starring Mary McDonnell. It is a successor spin-off of The Closer and premiered on TNT August 13, 2012, following the finale of The Closer. Following an average of over 7 million viewers for its first season, TNT renewed Major Crimes for a 15 episode second season on September 27, 2012, which the network increased to 19 episodes in April 2013. Season 2 premiered on June 10, 2013. The series was renewed for a third season of 15 episodes on August 15, 2013, which began on June 9, 2014 with 4 additional episodes being ordered. On July 18, 2014, TNT renewed Major Crimes for a 15-episode fourth season.
Following the departure of Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson from the Los Angeles Police Department, Captain Sharon Raydor (McDonnell) is selected as the new head of its fictional Major Crimes Division. Throughout the first season, she faces the challenge of earning the trust and loyalty of her officers, who are still in shock over Johnson's exit, while trying to close the department's highest-profile cases. Ambitious young detective Amy Sykes (Giovanni) also joins the Major Crimes Division.
Raydor decides to house Rusty Beck (Graham Patrick Martin), the key witness for the Stroh case, in her own home, paying for him to attend the Catholic high school her children attended. In Season 2, Deputy District Attorney Emma Rios (Velasquez) is introduced as part of the prosecution team on the Stroh case.
|Mary McDonnell||Sharon Raydor||Captain||Major Crimes Division||1–|
|G. W. Bailey||Louie Provenza||Detective Lieutenant||Major Crimes Division||1–|
|Tony Denison||Andy Flynn||Detective Lieutenant||Major Crimes Division||1–|
|Michael Paul Chan||Michael Tao||Detective Lieutenant||Major Crimes Division||1–|
|Raymond Cruz||Julio Sanchez||Detective||Major Crimes Division||1–|
|Kearran Giovanni||Amy Sykes||Detective||Major Crimes Division||1–|
|Phillip P. Keene||Buzz Watson||Civilian Surveillance Coordinator||Major Crimes Division||1–|
|Graham Patrick Martin||Rusty Beck||1–|
|Jonathan Del Arco||Dr. Morales||Deputy Medical Examiner||Los Angeles County Coroner's office||1– (recurring, season 1)|
|Robert Gossett||Russell Taylor||Assistant Chief of Operations||Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD)||1– (recurring, season 1)|
|Nadine Velazquez||Emma Rios||Deputy District Attorney||Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office||2–|
|Jon Tenney||Fritz Howard||Special Agent (1–3)
Deputy Chief of Special Operation Bureau (3–)
Development and production
On December 10, 2010, TNT announced that the upcoming seventh season of The Closer, which began production in spring 2011, would be the show's last. The channel said the decision to retire the show was made by Kyra Sedgwick.
On January 30, 2011, the media announced the final season would add six episodes to the usual 15-episode order, the final six being the build toward a possible spin-off series. On May 18, 2011, TNT announced the spin-off, entitled Major Crimes and starring Mary McDonnell as Captain Sharon Raydor, had been picked up for a 10-episode season.
Following an average of over 7 million viewers for its first season, TNT renewed Major Crimes for a 15-episode second season on September 27, 2012, which the network increased to 19 episodes in April 2013. Season 2 premiered on June 10, 2013.
Major Crimes received a score of 63/100 and "generally favorable" reviews based on 16 critics at Metacritic. Newsday 's Verne Gay gave the series a B+ grade, calling it "sharply written, acted and directed", adding "producers now have to turn an (occasional) antagonist into a full-time protagonist. Let the metamorphosis begin." Robert Lloyd of the Los Angeles Times called the series a "nice balance between the tragic and comic", citing Mary McDonnell's performance as "modulated and cool, but with a blue-flame intensity". Entertainment Weekly 's Ken Tucker thought there were "fundamental distinctions" between The Closer 's Brenda Leigh Johnson and Major Crimes ' Sharon Raydor that "render the shows very different", adding "I've always found Raydor's serene assurance a palliative to the twitchy eccentricity of Kyra Sedgwick's Johnson." Mike Hale of The New York Times thought the series "[made] the dullest character from the old show the central figure of the new one," adding "Major Crimes feels like a reasonably sharp black-and-white copy of The Closer, but fans of the franchise are likely to miss the color provided by Ms. Sedgwick’s vivid performance."
The first episode, helped by the final episode of The Closer airing beforehand, had 9.5 million viewers, the largest viewership for a series premiere on basic cable. Its first season ratings were the highest for any new show on cable.
|Spain||TNT (España)||September 20, 2012||Thursday at 10.30 PM|
|Australia||Nine Network||May 20, 2013||Mondays, 9.30 PM|
|Canada||Séries+ (in French)||May 30, 2013||Thursday, 8.00 PM|
|United Kingdom||Universal Channel||March 18, 2013||Mondays, 10 PM GMT|
|Slovenia||POP TV ||February 26, 2013||Tuesdays at 10.30 PM|
|New Zealand||TV One (New Zealand)||August 13, 2013||Tuesdays, 11 PM|
|Estonia||Kanal 2 ||March 8, 2013||Fridays at 10.30 PM|
|Brazil||SBT||December 22, 2013||Sundays at 2.00 AM|
|Finland||MTV3||January 1, 2014||Wednesdays at 10.30 PM|
|Japan||Dlife||June 14, 2014||Saturdays at 10.00 PM|
|Norway||TNT Nordic||November 12, 2014||Wednesdays at 10.00 PM|
- Freydkin, Donna (June 13, 2011). "As 'Closer' ends, 'Major Crimes' begins". USA Today. Retrieved March 19, 2012.
- Wightman, Catriona (June 15, 2011). "'Major Crimes' star wants Kyra Sedgwick cameo". Digital Spy. Retrieved March 19, 2012.
- Harnick, Chris (March 15, 2012). "'Dallas': TNT Sets Reboot Premiere Date And Full Summer Schedule". The Huffington Post. Retrieved March 19, 2012.
- Little, Kevin (September 27, 2012). "TNT Renews "MAJOR CRIMES," Cable's #1 New Series" (Press release). TNT Newsroom. Retrieved April 30, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (April 30, 2013). "TNT's 'Major Crimes' Gets Order For Four Additional Episodes, 'Perception' For One". Deadline.com. Retrieved May 27, 2013.
- Little, Kevin (March 21, 2013). "TNT Announces 2013 Summer Premiere Dates Lineup Includes Four New Series and Five Returning Hits" (Press release). TNT Newsroom. Retrieved April 30, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (August 15, 2013). "'Rizzoli & Isles' Renewed for Season 5, 'Major Crimes' & 'Perception' Renewed for Season 3 by TNT". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- Kondolojy, March 14, 2014. "TNT to Roll Out 10 Original Series This Summer Including 'Falling Skies', 'The Last Ship', 'Legends' & More". Zap2it. Retrieved March 14, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 13, 2013). "Jonathan Del Arco Upped To Regular On ‘Major Crimes’, Colton Haynes On ‘Arrow’". Deadline.com. Retrieved April 30, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 21, 2013). "TNT’s ‘Major Crimes’ Taps Nadine Velazquez As New Regular, Promotes Robert Gossett". Deadline.com. Retrieved April 30, 2013.
- Hamilton, Christina (March 21, 2013). "Nadine Velazquez to be a Series Regular on TNT's Hit Drama Major Crimes". TNT Newsroom. Retrieved April 30, 2013.
- Fernandez, Mary Elena (December 10, 2010). "Kyra Sedgwick closes 'The Closer'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 10, 2010.
- "Kyra Sedgwick calls time on The Closer". The Spy Report (Media Spy). December 11, 2010. Retrieved December 12, 2010.
- Rice, Lynnette; Hibbard, James. "TNT extends 'The Closer' final season to ready potential spin-off -- EXCLUSIVE". Inside TV. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved January 30, 2011.
- Fienberg, Daniel (May 18, 2011). "TNT orders 'Closer' spinoff 'Major Crimes' starring Mary McDonnell". HitFix. Retrieved May 18, 2011.
- "Major Crimes - Season 1 Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More". Metacritic. August 9, 2012. Retrieved August 15, 2012.
- Gay, Verne (August 10, 2012). "'The Closer' series finale, 'Major Crimes' spinoff". Newsday. Retrieved August 15, 2012.
- Lloyd, Robert (August 12, 2012). "Review: 'Major Crimes' solves TNT's dilemma". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 15, 2012.
- Tucker, Ken (August 10, 2012). "TV Review: Major Crimes". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved August 15, 2012.
- Hale, Mike (August 12, 2012). "The New Boss, Not the Same as the Old Boss". The New York Times. Retrieved August 15, 2012.
- "TNT’s ‘Major Crimes’ Gets Order For Four Additional Episodes, ‘Perception’ For One". Deadline. April 30, 2013. Retrieved May 27, 2013.
- "Crimes Majeurs" (in French). April 25, 2013. Retrieved August 7, 2013.
- Munn, Patrick (February 6, 2013). "Universal Channel Acquires UK Rights To ‘The Closer’ Spin-Off ‘Major Crimes’". TVWise. Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- "Težki zločini". February 22, 2013. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
- "Vahelevõtja: Rängad kuriteod". March 8, 2013. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- "SBT estreia Crimes Graves, série extensão de Divisão Criminal". SBT. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "Rikoksista pahin - Ohjelmat - Viihde - MTV.fi". MTV. Retrieved 1 January 2014.