August 24, 1962 |
San Diego, California
|Education||University of Missouri (B.J./B.S.)|
|Occupation||Congressional Correspondent with the National Journal; reporter|
Major Elliott Garrett (born August 24, 1962 in San Diego, California) is Chief White House Correspondent with CBS News and Correspondent at Large with the National Journal. Major is his proper name, not indicating a military rank. Prior to joining the National Journal he was the senior White House correspondent for the Fox News Channel. He covered the 2004 presidential election, the War on Terror, and the 2008 presidential election where he covered the Democratic primaries and later Barack Obama as the Democratic nominee.
Garrett graduated, in 1984, with a Bachelor of Journalism degree and Bachelor of Science degree in political science from the University of Missouri. He is a member of the Fraternity Phi Gamma Delta.
Garrett was a senior editor and congressional correspondent for U.S. News and World Report and a congressional reporter for The Washington Times in the 1990s before joining CNN's White House team in early 2000, and later moving to Fox in 2002 as a general assignment reporter. There, he covered the 2004 election, and served as the network's congressional correspondent. He has also been a White House correspondent for CNN, and an award-winning reporter across the country for Houston Post, Las Vegas Review Journal, and Amarillo Globe-News. His articles have appeared in such magazines as The Weekly Standard, Washington Monthly, and Mother Jones. He currently lives with his family in Washington D.C.
It was announced on Face the Nation on November 18, 2012, that Garrett would be joining CBS News as Chief White House Correspondent.
- The Fifteen Biggest Lies in Politics (St. Martin's Griffin, 2000, ISBN 978-0-312-25459-9)
- The Enduring Revolution: The Inside Story of the Republican Ascendancy and Why It Will Continue (Three Rivers Press, 2006, ISBN 978-1-4000-5467-1)
- The Enduring Revolution: How the Contract with America Continues to Shape the Nation (Crown Forum, 2005, ISBN 978-1-4000-5466-4)
- Common Cents (Little, Brown, 1995, ISBN 0-316-69912-8)
- Weinger, Mackenzie (November 18, 2012), Major Garrett joins CBS as chief White House correspondent, Politico
- Profiles in Success: Major Garrett '84, Missouri School of Journalism website
- Network Community page, The Fraternity of Phi Gamma Delta website
- Major Garrett Bio, FOX News[dead link]
- Steve Kapsinow (January 13, 2009), Garrett Named Senior WH Correspondent, TVNewser (Mediabistro.com)
- Stelter, Brian; Peters, Jeremy W. (August 25, 2010), National Journal Hires Major Garrett From Fox News, Media Decoder blog (The New York Times)
- CBS News bio
- Fox News bio (archived 2006)
- @MajorCBS Major Garrett on Twitter
- Booknotes interview with Tim Penny and Major Garrett on Common Cents, May 14, 1995.