Makana Local Municipality
Location in the Eastern Cape
|• Type||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Zamuxolo Peter (ANC)|
|• Municipal Manager||Dr Pravine Naidoo|
|• Total||4,376 km2 (1,690 sq mi)|
|• Density||18/km2 (48/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||78.0%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||SAST (UTC+2)|
Makana Local Municipality is the local municipality which governs the city of Grahamstown and surrounding areas in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa. It forms part of the Cacadu District Municipality. The municipality is named after a Xhosa prophet, Makana.
|Place||Code||Population||Area (km2)||Most spoken language|
The municipal council consists of twenty-eight members elected by mixed-member proportional representation. Fourteen councillors are elected by first-past-the-post voting in fourteen wards, while the remaining fourteen are chosen from party lists so that the total number of party representatives is proportional to the number of votes received. In the election of 18 May 2011 the African National Congress (ANC) won a majority of twenty seats on the council. The following table shows the results of the election.
|African National Congress||17,451||18,106||35,557||72.6||10||10||20|
|Congress of the People||798||690||1,488||3.0||0||1||1|
|Makana Independent New Deal||593||483||1,076||2.2||0||1||1|
|Azanian People's Organisation||302||346||648||1.3||0||0||0|
Friendship Co-operation Agreement
In February 2011, Makana Municipality entered into a "Friendship Co-operation Agreement" with Raseborg Municipality in Finland. The project, which is to last three years, seeks to facilitate information sharing in the fields of economic development, arts & culture, women development, youth development, and education.
- "Municipal Manager Makana Municipality". Makana Municipality. Retrieved 2013-09-10.
- "Contact list: Executive Mayors". Government Communication & Information System. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, age in 5 year groups and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, language and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- South African Languages - Place names
- "Makana Local Municipality". Census 2011.
- "Results Summary – All Ballots: Makana". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- "Seat Calculation Detail: Makana". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- "Finland Trip Feeback". Makana Municipality. Retrieved 2011-11-29.
- Makana Municipality
- Makana-Raseborg - blog documenting the progress of the friendship co-operation agreement.