A railroad crossing in Makanda
|Area||5.34 sq mi (14 km2)|
|- land||5.29 sq mi (14 km2)|
|- water||0.05 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||130.5 / sq mi (50 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Makanda, Illinois|
Makanda is a village in Jackson County, Illinois, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the population was 561, up from 419 in 2000. In the early 20th Century it used the slogan "Star of Egypt."
Makanda is located at (37.618190, -89.229545).
According to the 2010 census, the village has a total area of 5.34 square miles (13.8 km2), of which 5.29 square miles (13.7 km2) (or 99.06%) is land and 0.05 square miles (0.13 km2) (or 0.94%) is water.
As of the 2010 census, there were 561 people, 230 households, and 160 families residing in the village. The population density was 129.6 people per square mile (50.0/km²). There were 262 housing units at an average density of 60.5 per square mile (23.4/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 87.5% White, 3.6% African American, 6.6% Asian, and 2.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.7% of the population.
Of the 230 households in the village, 28.7% had children under the age of 18. Of the 160 family households, 54.8% were married couples living together, 6.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 8.3% had a female householder with no husband present. 23.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 2.86.
In the village the population was spread out with 23.0% under the age of 20, 14.3% from 20 to 34, 20.9% from 35 to 49, 29.9% from 50 to 64, and 11.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44.4 years. For every 100 females there were 113.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 109.4 males.
2005-2009 American Community Survey data indicates the median income for a household in the village was $54,107, and the median income for a family was $72,222. Male full-time workers had a median income of $36,875 versus $43,594 for female full-time workers. The per capita income for the village was $31,898. 5.8% of families and 5.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.8% of those under age 18.
- Makanda Spring Fest, an annual two-day event featuring local artists and live music.
- Makanda Vulture Fest, an annual two-day event held during the third weekend in October that celebrates the migration of the black vulture and turkey vulture to the region.
- Total Solar Eclipses. The paths of the 21 August, 2017, and the 8 April 2024 Solar Eclipse will cross over Makanda.
- Paul Simon, U.S. Senator and 1988 Democratic presidential candidate
- Sheila Simon, 46th and current Lieutenant Governor
- "American FactFinder 2010". Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- Feb. 24, 1921. "Slogans of the Various Illinois Cities." Woodland Daily Democrat (Woodland, Calif.). 2.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for Places – Illinois". United States Census. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "American FactFinder 2000". Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "Events of Makanda, Illinois". Retrieved 2011-08-08.