A make-up artist (or 'makeup artist') is an artist whose medium is the human body, applying makeup and prosthetics for theatrical, television, film, fashion, magazines and other similar productions including all aspects of the modeling industry. Awards given for this profession in the entertainment industry include the Academy Award for Best Makeup and Hairstyling and even several entertainment industry awards such as the Emmy Awards and the Golden Globes to name a few. In the United States as well as the other parts of the globe, professional licenses are required by agencies in order for them to hire the MUA. Bigger production companies have in-house makeup artists on their payroll although most MUA’s generally are freelance and their times remain flexible depending on the projects.The use of digital cameras may have made the use of bridal make up more popular.
- Fashion makeup
- Fashion makeup is used in magazine photography as well as on the fashion runway. Avant-garde makeup is also an applicable technique used for projects that require experimental themes. Fashion makeup is also commonly used in television and film ranging for the natural prime look to more sophisticated applications such as color balance.
- Theatrical makeup
- Stage makeup is used as a method in conjunction with stage lighting to highlight the actors' faces in order make expressions visible to the audience from moderate distances. This often includes defining the eyes and lips as well as the highlights and lowlights of the facial bones.
- Special effects makeup (FX makeup)
- The use of special effects techniques enhancing physical features to exhibit metaphysical characteristics as well as fantasy makeup. The use of prosthetics and plaster casting are also required for projects that entails non-human appearances. Accents such as theatrical blood and ooze are also techniques applicable to this type of makeup. FX makeup can also include creature design, building three-dimensional sculpted models for video games and film. 
- The use of an airbrush which is a small air-operated device that sprays various media including alcohol and water-based makeup by a process of nebulization. The earliest record of this type of cosmetic application dates back to the 1925 film version of Ben-Hur, it has recently been re-popularized by the advent of HDTV and digital photography, where the camera focuses on higher depths of detail. Liquid foundations that are high in coverage but thin in texture are applied with the airbrush for full coverage without a heavy build-up of product.
- Bridal makeup
- Bridal makeup is a new segment in a makeup artist's repertoire. From ethnic, to glamorous, to contemporary, makeup artists are now an important part of wedding planning in Asia, Europe, Africa and North America.
- High definition
- This is an art which involves the use of light reflectors and ingredients such as minerals to give the skin a flawless finish. This was developed due to the further development of high definition mediums and the cost implications of airbrush makeup.
Notable make-up artists
- Iman Mohamed Abdulmajid
- Kevyn Aucoin
- Way Bandy
- Bobbi Brown
- Ellis Faas
- Ve Neill
- Shaun Smith (visual effects artist)
- "82nd Academy Awards Oscar Nominees for Make-up". Makeup Mag. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "Emmy Awards Nominations Announced". Makeup Mag. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "61st Emmy for Makeup Nominees". Fox News Idaho. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "67th Golden Globe Awards Tina Fey Make Up Break Down". pursebuzz. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "Revisiting the 2009 Make-up Oscar Contenders". Makeup Mag. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "Get paid to apply Makeup". Fab Job. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "The art of make up". Erica Storm. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "Special Effects Makeup Schools". Cosmixinc. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- "AIRBRUSH FOUNDATION MAKE-UP". Airbrush Body Art. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "Top High Definition Makeup". Makeup.com. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- Elsworth, Catherine (2005-12-03). "Are they ready for a high-definition close-up?". Telegraph.co.uk. Telegraph Media Group Limited. Retrieved 2007-10-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Make-up artists.|