|Headquarters||Colchester, United Kingdom|
|Key people||Aibek Esengulov, Chief Executive Officer
Kaly Mochoev, Chief Operating Officer
Jackson Chung, M.D., Chief Visionary Officer
Justin Pot, Managing Editor
James Bruce, Chief Technology Officer
|Alexa rank||1,062 (April 2014[update])|
|Type of site||blog|
MakeUseOf is a British technology and internet apps blog founded by Aibek Esengulov and Kaly Mochoev. The website's primary focus is software, web applications, and technology, but they have also recently started covering news, opinion, and gadgets as well. MakeUseOf was launched in July 2006 and now employs 24 members of staff from various parts of the world.
The site publishes, on average, 15 posts a day from Monday to Friday, with a reduced schedule at weekends. The main blog is backed up by a directory and a Yahoo Answers-type of page for unanswered technology questions. The site also offers a growing collection of free e-books (in PDF and EPUB format) and for on-line reading.
Aibek Esengulov stated that the idea for MakeUseOf came about because "the biggest problem with the web was the lack of sources where users, like myself, could learn about other useful websites".
In 2008, the MakeUseOf domain was stolen from its owners by a thief and blackmailer, who to this day has never been caught. He gained access to the domain by hacking into Aibek Esengulov's webmail account and using details that he found to impersonate Aibek Esengulov to GoDaddy. He then quickly transferred the domain to his control and demanded $2000 for its return.
MakeUseOf quickly set up a temporary website to inform its readers what was happening and began the legal process to recover the MakeUseOf.com domain. After several days, they were successful and the domain returned to their control. The cracker who stole the domain subsequently managed to evade detection.
Awards and media recommendations
PC Magazine named MakeUseOf one of the "Top 100 Undiscovered Websites" in 2007. MakeUseOf has also been named one of the "Top 100 Classic Websites" by PC Magazine on two separate years (2008 and 2010).
- "Makeuseof.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Elmer, Vickie (5 September 2010). "Mobile Apps Can Give Careers, Job Searches A Boost". Washington Post.
- "The Major Geeks of MakeUseOf". Love To Know.
- "Aibek Esengulov of MakeUseOf Shares His Startup Story". Foundora.
- "MakeUseOf.com Domain Stolen". Daily Blog Tips.
- "MakeUseOf Temporary Domain". MakeUseOf.
- "Top 100 Undiscovered Websites 2007". PC Magazine.
- "Top 100 Classic Websites 2008". PC Magazine.
- "Top 100 Undiscovered Websites 2010". PC Magazine.
- "Top Ten Websites You Never Heard Of". Fast Company.