Makerere College School
|Makerere College School|
|Kampala, Central Uganda, Uganda|
|Type||Public Middle School and High School (11-18)|
|Motto||<BE KNOWN BY WORKS AND ONLY GOOD WORKS>"
|HEAD TEACHER||Mrs.ELIZABETH ONEN(AG)|
|Number of students||1800|
|Athletics||soccer, track, tennis, volleyball, basketball and Rugby|
Makerere College School is a mixed, middle (S1–S4) and high (S5–S6) school in Uganda. It is predominantly a day-school, but it does have limited boarding facilities.
The school campus is located within the confines of the main campus of Makerere University, Uganda's oldest university. The school occupies the southwestern corner of the university campus and is bordered by the University's School od Education to the north, the School of Fine Art to the east, Makerere Hill Road to the south, the University Main Sports Grounds to the west and Mary Stuart Hall to the northwest. This location lies approximately 2.5 kilometres (1.6 mi), northwest of the central business district of Kampala, Uganda's capital, and the largest city in that country. The coordinates of Makerere College School are: 0° 19' 40.80"N, +32° 34' 1.20"E (Latitude:0.328000; Longitude:32.567000).
The school was established in 1945 to provide facilities where Makerere University students in the School of Education, could practice supervised teaching. At that time, the university was known as Makerere College. The current headmistress as of February 2014 is Elizabeth Onen(Mrs).
Makerere College School is listed among Africa's top 100 schools and shares fame with other traditional schools such as Mengo Senior School, Namilyango College, Gayaza High School, Rainbow International School and Lincoln International to mention a few. Makerere College School has over the years produced some of best candidates in Kampala District in the national O and A level examinations. In 2010, the school was ranked among the ten best middle schools (O Level), based on analysis of S4 results for the past ten years (2000–2009).
The school offers both Ordinary Level (S1–S4) subjects, as well as Advanced Level (S5–S6) subjects.
- At O-level (S1-S4), the following subjects are offered
- East African History
- South African History
- Advanced Mathematics
- Fine Art
- English Literature
- Christian Religious Education (C.R.E)
- Home Economics
- Computer Studies
- At A-Level the following subjects are offered
- Food & Nutrition
- Major General (Retired) Mugisha Muntu - Politician and former military officer. Former Commander of the UPDF (1989 - 1998). Member of the Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) political party in Uganda. Member of the East African Legislative Assembly (2006 - Present).
- Syda Namirembe Bbumba - Current Minister of Gender, Labor & Scial Development in Uganda. First woman to serve as Minister of Finance in the history of Uganda (2009 - 2011).
- Emmanuel Tumusiime-Mutebile - Economist & banker. Governor of the Bank of Uganda (2001 - 2016).
- Bebe Cool - A Ugandan recording artist
- Israel Kibirige Ssebunya (1946 - 2008) - Cytogeneticist, Academic & Politician. Served as Director of Kawanda Agricultural Research Institute (KARI) (1992 - 1996), MP for Kyaddondo County North (1996 - 2008) and State Minister for Agriculture (1999 - 2008).
- Dr. John Chrysostom Muyingo - Ugandan educator and politician. He is the current State Minister for Higher Education in the Ugandan Cabinet (2011 - Present)
- Makerere University
- Education in Uganda
- Namilyango College
- Gayaza High School
- Mengo Senior School
- King's College Budo
- Jinja College
- Mugisha Muntu