Making Music (magazine)
|First issue||November/December 2004|
Making Music magazine is a bi-monthly lifestyle music magazine devoted to the recreational musician and all instruments and genres of music. Their tag line is "Better Living Through Recreational Music Making."
The content of the magazine is summarized on their website as: Each issue of Making Music offers inspiration, instruction, and information for the amateur musician. Read stories about music makers from all walks of life, learn about the latest medical research into the benefits of making music, discover tips to make you learn better and get the most out of your hobby, and much more.
According to the website, the magazine's mission statement is as follows:
Making Music encourages adult amateur and recreational musicians to pursue their fulfilling hobby and become part of a music making community. By advocating the physical, social, and psychological benefits of recreational music making, we intend to build demand for musical instruments and accessories.
Featured Celebrities and Cover Stories
The magazine is known to feature celebrities who are recognizable to the public for something other than music (acting, politics, advocacy, etc.) giving them a chance show off their musical side. These celebrities may not often get the opportunity to talk about the enjoyment they get from making music. Celebrities featured and upcoming include:
Circulation: 35,000+ Nationwide (USA)
Audience: 35+ Average Age
$50,000+ Average Income
Each issue follows this general format:
- Feature stories: Interviews with famous and not-so-famous recreational musicians and organizations, with a focus on the lifestyle benefits of playing and sharing music.
- Tips & Techniques: Guides to music theory for beginners and intermediate musicians, maintenance tips, good practice techniques, and how to play with others.
- Health issues: Advice on keeping the body in shape, health tools, ergonomic issues, music and memory, etc.
- Product Spotlights: New product features, plus in-depth guides to buying instruments and accessories.
The magazine currently employs a staff of 10:
- Antoinette Follett - Editor-In-Chief
- Cherie Yurco - Assistant Editor
- Ryan Connors - Social Media Manager
- Neil Connors - Online editor
- Chuck Schiele - Graphic Designer
- Jon Dufort - Web Manager
- Christopher Russo - Advertising Manager
- Sharon Fumano-Kyle - Accounts Payable
- Arturo Parrilla - Subscription Coordinator
- Making Music Magazine Homepage
- Making Music Fan Page on Facebook
- Making Music on Twitter
- Making Music Pinterest
- Making Music Instagram